Another Case Tested Cattle Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Another Case Tested Cattle Knife

Post by herbva »

Greetings everyone. I am a bit suspicious of this one and would love to hear opinions from the experts. Forgive me if this one has already been discussed. I assume it is a pattern 45 cattle knife. I see a few things that I'm concerned with, but perhaps everything is OK. Shouldn't the spear have a long pull and don't the scales look redone (with obviously no shield)? The pictures of the tang stamp provided by the seller aren't terribly clear, but does it look a bit wonky? Thanks for taking a look. Herb https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Case-X ... 4280790400
Attachments
DSCN9712.JPG
DSCN9713.JPG
DSCN9714.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
zp4ja

Re: Another Case Tested Cattle Knife

Post by zp4ja »

Based on what I can tell from those horrible pics...
Think it is legit. CASE TESTED 63045 with Imitation Jigged Bone.

Compare to mine here and let me know what you think.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=31959&hilit=63045

Again, with the dark pics best I can tell you.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree the pictures are poor but like Jerry said, from what I see it looks okay. These imitation bone 45 patterns are fairly common - I’ve read speculation that Case made them during WWII, with synthetic handle covers and no shields due to scarcity of bone and nickel silver. Shields are just ornamentation so were considered an unnecessary luxury at the time. Brass and nickel (key components of nickel silver) were needed for other priorities. ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

I believe they were contract knives made by Utica.

Tom
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey Tom,

See my link I posted. Steve stated made in house.

Also as to Ken and Steve's statement, heard mentioned these are very common but have not observed a bunch personally. Not seeking them out either though.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”