Sears Roebuck Large Congress

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
kootenay joe

Sears Roebuck Large Congress

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is the link to this ebay auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-Roebuck- ... SwxklclsR3
I am on my 18 yr old computer and importing pictures is a challenge. Perhaps someone would post a pic of the knife and the Very Odd "Made In USA" marking.
Seller is a long established husband/wife collectors whom i believe are honest. But i think this knife is a fake, just a Congress made by someone with reasonably decent skills, but terrible at doing the markings.
Do you agree ?
kj
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Sears Roebuck Large Congress

Post by philco »

Here's a couple of pics for you Roland.

I have no opinion as to its authenticity but I do like the way this knife looks.
Attachments
Made In USA Congress tang stamp .jpg
Made In USA Congress .jpg
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Phil. Have you ever seen a "Made in USA" that looks like the markings on this knife ?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Am i the only one who finds this knife and the markings odd ? If others think it is all 'good' then i would like to know.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

1. I like the knife but looks like it’s probably been buffed.
2. The stamp does look odd.
3. Not a popular brand to fake. I doubt there’s enough in it to make counterfeiting it worthwhile.

Ken

Edit: just saw that it sold for $114 which is more than I thought it would.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have been collecting Sears top line "Sta-Sharp" brand knives for some years. They always have an etch which can sometimes still be made out after being buffed. Sometimes the tang markings are only "Made/In U.S.A.". I have never seen markings that look like those on this knife. To me it looks like individual letters were stamped.
And the jigged bone does not look like any i have seen on a Sears knife, most of which were made by Camillus.
Seller calls it a "Sears Roebuck" and i am assuming this is the same as "Sears". I do not know of a separate "Sears Roebuck" line of knives.
kj
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Sears & Roebuck vs Sears would be a time related thing.

When did they drop "Roebuck" from their company ID?

The close-up of the "MADE IN U.S.A." stamp has an acid etch appearance to me.

I certainly agree with Roland that it doesn't look like any other Sears attributed MADE IN U.S.A. marked knife I've ever seen.

The handles are proclaiming Schrade, are they not?

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Charlie for posting. Schrade used a variety of jigged bone. This is not the peach seed jigging that Schrade is best known for.
It is a mystery knife with fake markings.
kj
wlf

Post by wlf »

I thought Utica bone . Crazy stamp,but like Charlie ,the Roebuck constitutes age.I wouldn't think it's a fake either, why...?
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This question of "why" referring to faking knives of rather low value had been discussed here & at BF extensively in the BFL forum. There have been many lower end knives deemed 'fake' by Bernard Levine so they do exist. My idea as to 'why' is that some knife 'mechanics' are rather compulsive. If they have the parts to assemble into a completed knife, they feel compelled to create the knife; i.e. they are not just doing it for the money.
kj

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”