Hammer Brand (NYK) Frankenknife?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
ea42

Hammer Brand (NYK) Frankenknife?

Post by ea42 »

OK, I'm adding some corrections right here for the post I made below. Seems I didn't do enough research on that one. Thanks to the commenters below for keeping me on my toes! I still think there's a blade missing, as I'm not convinced that they would use just their trademark on a regular pocket knife, but I could be wrong. With the exception of the cokebottle pattern I don't recall ever seeing it. The shield was definitely a NY Knife shield judging by the old Biddle catalog image I scanned a few posts down. Here's my original post, didn't want to simply correct it since that would throw the whole conversation out of whack:

Hey folks, I'm pretty sure this blade doesn't belong in these handles. NYK never had just "Hammer Brand" stamped on the blade(s) of a knife. If it was was a single blade, Hammer Brand was on the pile side and NY Knife Co was on the mark side. Blade also looks short, yet full. That shield doesn't look like any shield I've seen on a NY Knife Co knife either, which makes me think that the blade was taken from another knife and put in those scales. Kind of looks like Empire.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hammer ... SwtAlcmm0H

Eric
Gunsil

Re: Hammer Brand (NYK) Frankenknife?

Post by Gunsil »

I don't like that knife either, I think it should have another blade or more also. BUT, to say that NYK NEVER made a single blade knife with only the Hammer Brand on the mark side is not quite true. I have a very nice NYK 188 large coke bottle with the 188 model number on the back side of the tang and the Hammer Brand on the mark or front side. It is a correct knife.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Gunsil wrote:I don't like that knife either, I think it should have another blade or more also. BUT, to say that NYK NEVER made a single blade knife with only the Hammer Brand on the mark side is not quite true.

Agreed. A one blade jack of that pattern would be very unusual. I have a single blade 5 1/8" pattern186 coke bottle with no mark side tang stamp. It has a blade etch and the pattern number stamped on the pile side tang. Empire frame is a good guess.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

NYK did make a knife with a frame like the OP knife, I had a mint bone one etched "STAUNCH" with a saber ground spear main blade and it was a two blade jack. I think the frame may be an NYK frame. My big coke may be a 186 also, the 188 is from memory, but mine has wood scales.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Wayne and Gene, thanks for setting me straight, I'd forgotten all about the coke bottle! With the exception of that one I don't believe I've ever seen a NY Knife pocketknife with simply the Hammer Brand logo though. I was also wrong on that shield, found a catalog image from an old Biddle catalog with a knife that utilized the shield. This one had bolster ends that were of different thickness, but I did also find an image of the frame that's on the knife posted up for bid:

Left knife is the pattern in question, with the general blade layout:
New York Knife Cat. Image.jpg

Here's a knife (center) with the shield that I had questioned, which turns out to be authentic:
New York Knife Image 2.jpg
Eric
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Looks like pics from Barry's catalog reprint!! If you don't have one get one!!
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Yep that's it, he did a fantastic job!

Eric
wlf

Post by wlf »

But no FJ's in it. :D
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

The 186 pattern is the swing guard folding hunter with no tang stamp. ::tu::
Roger
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Has a consensus been arrived at as to: all original or not ?
This is one for the experts. I can only observe & learn.
kj
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Roland I personally feel like it's missing a blade. Might have been removed some time ago but I think there used to be a pen blade in there. That would have been marked New York Knife Co, while the spear would be marked with the Hammer Brand logo. That's just my opinion though. Would probably explain the crack and the brassy looking bolster pins. You don't generally see that on the older knives, nickel silver was usually the same composition on both the bolsters and the pins.

Eric
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Eric, thank you for explaining your thoughts on this knife. Threads like this are a helpful learning experience for many of us.
kj
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

peanut740 wrote:The 186 pattern is the swing guard folding hunter with no tang stamp. ::tu::
My memory must be working, mine has no swing guard, model 188, only tang stamp Hammer Brand with the model on the back.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Roland, I agreed from the git-go that there is a blade or two missing. Could have been a two blade jack or a whittler when new.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Gene,here is a 186 pattern.
Attachments
1553819569078142855564511048264.jpg
15538196116136762024088396491747.jpg
15538196326188624031284793127892.jpg
15538196511705248127495363842714.jpg
Roger
cbfd

Post by cbfd »

Nice one, Roger! I`ve owned 3 or 4 of them,they were all marked the same as your knife! Bill
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Nice photo, nice knife! Thanks. Yes I am aware of what the large folding guard one looks like, I have examined them in person and also have Barry's NYK catalog reprint for reference. I don't know where my 188 is right now, I have a lot of stuff packed in tubs to take to the Shenandoah show next weekend. I think it is in there, but I don't know which tub, y'all must know the drill.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Roger that's a beauty! That model has eluded me for some time.

Gene are you going to the Mystic show next month? If it's anything like last year it should be a great time.

Eric
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Gunsil wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:04 pm I don't like that knife either, I think it should have another blade or more also. BUT, to say that NYK NEVER made a single blade knife with only the Hammer Brand on the mark side is not quite true. I have a very nice NYK 188 large coke bottle with the 188 model number on the back side of the tang and the Hammer Brand on the mark or front side. It is a correct knife.
I also have a knife like you described with just the hammer brand on front and 188 on the back single blade. Do you have any time frame for a manufacturer date ? Thanks. Kevin
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I don't have any info on the dates these were made. The Hammer Brand only came into existence in the late 1880s and the company went under in 1931, so sometime between those dates. I have never seen anything written regarding when certain NYK models came and went. Fifty years is a long run but I wouldn't be surprised if the model 188 ran for most of that time.
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Ok thanks. I also looked at one identical to ours with a little darker wood cocobolo ? Had hammer brand on front and instead of 188 it had New York knife co Walden NY frustrating but is what it is Thanks again Kevin
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

A two year old thread with no pictures posted of the OP knife!!!

There is a "sticky" at the top of the counterfeit page, please post pictures of the knife you are discussing For Posterity! ::handshake::
AAPK Janitor
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Ok didn’t know. At what age is a thread too old to post on and I thought this absolutely the best place since this is where gunsil posted the description of his knife wouldn’t have made any sense to me anywhere else. Also have no idea what a “sticky” means. Thank you Kevin
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Kevin11b wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:17 pm Ok didn’t know. At what age is a thread too old to post on and I thought this absolutely the best place since this is where gunsil posted the description of his knife wouldn’t have made any sense to me anywhere else. Also have no idea what a “sticky” means. Thank you Kevin
No worries, you can post on any old post.What he was referring to was the original poster didn't save a picture from the ebay auction that started this thread.
Welcome to AAPK,and don't be afraid to jump on. ::handshake::
Roger
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Thanks Roger. That is appreciated more than you know

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”