Mail Fraud???

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
LeftyKnifeGuy

Mail Fraud???

Post by LeftyKnifeGuy »

Just curious cause I don't know.........If a seller on a website sells a counterfeit knife, especially if that person is notified of the discrepancies prior to the sell, then mails it, does that not constitute mail fraud? I guess the downfall here is there's probably no way the buyer knows that. Seems impossible for anyone to notify the buyer of the fact. Even if one could notify the buyer of the fact, that would probably be a way for unscrupulous buyers to hold the price down for their benefit. Catch 22 anyway ya go.

It's GREAT that this site has a way to make buyers aware of counterfeits.
Berryb

Re: Mail Fraud???

Post by Berryb »

I'm pretty sure the post office dept. Has to press charges. The way around that would be to ship ups. You are right though, it is against the law to knowingly send fraudulent items through the mail. I expect USPS has bigger fsh to fry though.
Bruce
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

LeftyKnifeGuy wrote:Just curious cause I don't know.........If a seller on a website sells a counterfeit knife, especially if that person is notified of the discrepancies prior to the sell, then mails it, does that not constitute mail fraud? I guess the downfall here is there's probably no way the buyer knows that. Seems impossible for anyone to notify the buyer of the fact. Even if one could notify the buyer of the fact, that would probably be a way for unscrupulous buyers to hold the price down for their benefit. Catch 22 anyway ya go.

It's GREAT that this site has a way to make buyers aware of counterfeits.
It would be nice to see this enforced against purveyors of fraud. There would be a whole lot of counterfeit products that would never make it to the market if they did. So many fake Spyderco’s and Benchmades coming directly from China would be taken off the market. It’s amazing how brazen these people are. There are websites that sell Benchmades for 10 dollars as originals, they do it everyday and nothing happens.
Once the postal rates are increased for mail from China later this year, I think that will put a dent in some of this.
Concerning Ebay, if you bought a counterfeit and show that you told the seller before hand that you thought it was a counterfeit, I would think you would have a good case to turn over the eBay and have that person banned. Even if you didn’t contact them first, I think that would be a good place to start. When you pay through Paypal, you have a guarantee from them to get your money back. It’s just up to the person to take the time and trouble to do this.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
wizrd

Post by wizrd »

If the fraudulent goods were sold for LESS THAN $ 50.00 -- the post office WILL NOT pursue that as mail fraud. Notice how a lot of crap gets sold for around $ 49.99 ?

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”