Winchester

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
wlf

Winchester

Post by wlf »

There has been some discussion lately by Lee about Winchester fakes.I happened to come upon this one on eBay, which I thought might be questionable because of the stamp. Opinions? I didn't contact the seller.
Attachments
Winchester fake.jpg
Winchester fake 1.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
LongBlade

Re: Winchester

Post by LongBlade »

Is there a model # on pile side Lyle?? Is the secondary blade marked Winchester? The age & wear of the blades and even the worn stamp makes me think not fake - but I am not all that versed in Winchester - I think we need a few more eyes - maybe worth posting in Knife Lore thread or directing other folks in the Winchester thread to here where some members have more experience in looking at Winchesters ::nod:: ...

Post by bighomer »

I know absolutely nothing about it, but I like that jigging. ::tu::
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

I have seen quite a few Winchesters with this jigging pattern, several with the Napanoch style punch. The ones I have seen have only the master blade marked and with the nail nicks on opposite sides as I recall. I think that the knife is authentic.

JMO
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Well used and unusual looking pattern but I don't see anything wrong with it. I'd like to know if the pen blade is stamped with a single "WINCHESTER" straight line in script. Is there a pattern number on the back of the master?
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

The nail pull makes me think this knife is not real.
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

There are two unusual features to the pulls, the first is the long pull. Winchester's predominantly have a common nail nick, this one has a long pull. Secondly, most Winchester's (and most pocketknives) have both pulls on the same side (the mark side), this one has the secondary blade behind the master with the nail pull on the backside of the knife.

I don't believe that either of these features disqualifies this knife from being Winchester, even though most Winchester's have these features, I have definitely seen these features on legitimate Winchester's. You can see quite a few Winchester's with a long nail pull in old catalog cuts e.g. Mayes Knife Album or Voyle's Antique Knives. The blade pulls being placed on opposite sides is more uncommon in my experience, however, I have seen it on quite a few knives, several of which have the same bone jigging as the OP knife. In addition IIRC many of these knives were stamped only on one blade.

However, as usual, JMO.
wlf

Post by wlf »

Sorry I didn't post the eBay link. I just thought the stamp didn't look legit.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”