Another Kutmaster "Case Tested XX"

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Another Kutmaster "Case Tested XX"

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Posting this one for educational purposes. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Case-T ... SwE8Vbw5GH

Despite a misleading heading in the sellers listing, his description calls it a "parts knife" and "not authentic". Looks to me like probably another re-handled, re-stamped Kutmaster, and not even close to a real Case 5347 pattern. Well, it does have 3 blades. And stag (pretty nice stag too). ::facepalm::

13 bids already despite the seller stating clearly that it's a fake.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (31 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Another Kutmaster "Case Tested XX"

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Posting this one for educational purposes. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Case-T ... SwE8Vbw5GH

Despite a misleading heading in the sellers listing, his description calls it a "parts knife" and "not authentic". Looks to me like probably another re-handled, re-stamped Kutmaster, and not even close to a real Case 5347 pattern. Well, it does have 3 blades. And stag (pretty nice stag too). ::facepalm::

Ken
Ken, I just don’t get it. I put authentic Case knives up for sale nicer than this POS and have trouble getting bids this good. I guess it’s pointless trying to figure out why?
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: I put authentic Case knives up for sale nicer than this POS and have trouble getting bids this good.
Look closely at the bidders. One person bid 11X in a row, sometimes just seconds apart. Looks like "Ghost Bidding" to me.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Looks like he may have stolen Aunt Pearl's supplier. :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Posting this one for educational purposes. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Case-T ... SwE8Vbw5GH

Ken
Out of curiosity...I get the re-handled part...but; when you say "re-stamped"...do they grind off the Kutmaster logo and re-stamp, leaving a thinner tang?
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Yes. The original stamp is removed with a grinder or belt sander. Some refer to this as "shaving" the original stamp.
Any grind marks are polished away and then stamped with a new, counterfeit stamp. Perhaps a light touch-up polish before the knife is re-assembled with the re-stamped blade or blades.

Here's a thread having some pictures showing traits of a shaved tang re-stamped knife. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58799&hilit=Shaved ... 15#p675493

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Yes. The original stamp is removed with a grinder or belt sander. Some refer to this as "shaving" the original stamp.
Any grind marks are polished away and then stamped with a new, counterfeit stamp. Perhaps a light touch-up polish before the knife is re-assembled with the re-stamped blade or blades.

Here's a thread having some pictures showing traits of a shaved tang re-stamped knife. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58799&hilit=Shaved ... 15#p675493

Ken
Thanks, Ken. And thanks for the linked thread on the subject!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”