Bulldog Madness

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Bulldog Madness

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

So I keep seeing knives like this being sold. It’s distressing to see the deception. Is this or is this not a German made Bulldog? From everything I can see on here it isn’t. I’ve never seen this pattern before w/ this bone handle but I am not a Bulldog expert.
Front the listing you can’t tell that this isn’t made in Germany. From the bids, I would say that the buyers are unaware of it’s origin.
How long is this going to go on?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BULLDOG-BRAND- ... SwzVhbXiYV
Mark
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (26.8 KiB) Viewed 1971 times
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
cody6268

Re: Bulldog Madness

Post by cody6268 »

I think SMKW bought the trademarks, and is using it to market low-end knives from the Far East. In the catalog for this month, I also noticed they're making fixed blades using the Voss trademark.
just bob

Post by just bob »

You can go to ebay and look at some of the other listings for new Bulldog knives. They have China on the back of the big blade and you can spot them at a glance if you notice the box as compared to a genuine Bulldog box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bulldog-Brand- ... 7362!US!-1
Attachments
dog.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Anytime you see "German design" or "German steel" you know the knife was not made in Germany.
kj
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I did not realize that Bulldog was another China knife these days. I wonder if Fight'n Rooster will be next? I do not have anything against China knives, but I hate it when old brands like Boker, Schrade, and Marbles come out of China.
Mel
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Dinadan wrote:I did not realize that Bulldog was another China knife these days. I wonder if Fight'n Rooster will be next? I do not have anything against China knives, but I hate it when old brands like Boker, Schrade, and Marbles come out of China.
Agreed. I am beginning to think that companies like SMKW and Frost buy these brands, make them for awhile in Germany than switch the manufacturing along the way hoping to sell to unsuspecting buyers. They get by w/ it for awhile until people wise up, of course only after they have sold a lot of the cheaper knives.
That must be why they keep buying these brand names so they keep on repeating this process over and over.
Hen and Rooster is like this now too, you have to really watch.
It’s a shame really that it keeps happening like this. I suspect that the fine folks at SMKW or Frost are circling around all the Queen brands trying to repeat the pattern w/ them.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

In this age of political correctness, I know that it's not popular to say that you don't like something because of where it's made. I guess I'm not politically correct and don't give a darn that I'm not. I do not like knives that are made in china. I don't care if they're made with the finest steel in the world or the cheapest. I don't care what name they have on them. I don't want one in my house. I have a couple knives that were made in Japan and the only reason they are still here is because they were gifts....but you can bet that as soon as I find someone to re-gift them to, they will be gone. I won't even give that small courtesy to a china knife...I'll just throw it away. I hope I haven't offended anyone with my point of view, but if I have, I don't really care about that either.
Doug Webber
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
just bob

Post by just bob »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
Dinadan wrote:I did not realize that Bulldog was another China knife these days. I wonder if Fight'n Rooster will be next? I do not have anything against China knives, but I hate it when old brands like Boker, Schrade, and Marbles come out of China.
Agreed. I am beginning to think that companies like SMKW and Frost buy these brands, make them for awhile in Germany than switch the manufacturing along the way hoping to sell to unsuspecting buyers. They get by w/ it for awhile until people wise up, of course only after they have sold a lot of the cheaper knives.
That must be why they keep buying these brand names so they keep on repeating this process over and over.
It’s a shame really that it keeps happening like this. I suspect that the fine folks at SMKW or Frost are circling around all the Queen brands trying to repeat the pattern w/ them.
Mark

This has been on her several times before but what happens is that the original maker / owner does not update their ownership / trademark / or brand name and lets the rights to it lapse. SMKW or another party steps in and buys the rights to the brand name. They have 100% authority to have that brand made where ever they choose because it belongs to them. It is an authorized reproduction becasue they own the brand name.
When they bought the Rigid brand name they had those knives made in several different locations including Japan. Of course the primary goal of any company is profit. I think the current reproduction of the older brand names is almost all 100% China. Even A.G. Russell has had knives made in China. I do remember seeing one knife box that said made in Germany, but assembled in China. Didn't even the Cargile / Cripple Creek brand name change hands due to the same lapse?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

just bob wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
Mark

This has been on her several times before but what happens is that the original maker / owner does not update their ownership / trademark / or brand name and lets the rights to it lapse. SMKW or another party steps in and buys the rights to the brand name. They have 100% authority to have that brand made where ever they choose because it belongs to them. It is an authorized reproduction becasue they own the brand name.
When they bought the Rigid brand name they had those knives made in several different locations including Japan. Of course the primary goal of any company is profit. I think the current reproduction of the older brand names is almost all 100% China. Even A.G. Russell has had knives made in China. I do remember seeing one knife box that said made in Germany, but assembled in China. Didn't even the Cargile / Cripple Creek brand name change hands due to the same lapse?
Bob, I am not familiar w/ the legal workings of these knife companies. I appreciate the information.
If you ever come across the knife show, Cutlery Corner, it’s all Steel Warrior, Frost and other brands that are made in China. They have brands on there that haven’t been around for decades and act as if these are made in that tradition, when in fact they are cheap Chinese knock offs. But hey, who doesn’t want to buy 10 knives for 15 bucks? Or 100 for 100 dollars? Who do they fool w/ this nonsense?
Mark
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

dweb1897 wrote:In this age of political correctness, I know that it's not popular to say that you don't like something because of where it's made. I guess I'm not politically correct and don't give a darn that I'm not. I do not like knives that are made in china. I don't care if they're made with the finest steel in the world or the cheapest. I don't care what name they have on them. I don't want one in my house. I have a couple knives that were made in Japan and the only reason they are still here is because they were gifts....but you can bet that as soon as I find someone to re-gift them to, they will be gone. I won't even give that small courtesy to a china knife...I'll just throw it away. I hope I haven't offended anyone with my point of view, but if I have, I don't really care about that either.
Doug Webber
Agree 100% ::ds:: ::nod::
Eye Brand Collector

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”