Is this Case 6318 legit?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
UnderDawgAl

Is this Case 6318 legit?

Post by UnderDawgAl »

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Case-XX- ... SwJjZa74ml
s-l400 (6).jpg
s-l400 (6).jpg (20.28 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
All this seller's knives are awfully shiny. And what about the liners on this 6318? Did Case not use brass liners during 65-69?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is this Case 6318 legit?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Looks like a good knife to me. Blades are stainless steel so being shiny is what I'd expect. Doesn't look to have been carried much if any. Bolsters and backsprings may have been lightly buffed but not to excess. And Case used mostly nickel silver for bolsters, especially on stockman patterns. Quote from Steve Pfeiffer's book Collecting Case Knives 2nd edition, page 30:
From the Case XX era onward, Case used nickel silver as a lining material on most patterns in several general categories of pocket knives. Most three-blade stockman patterns were made with nickel silver liners, as were some of the two-blade jack knives that were made on the same frame styles as the stockman knives.
Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

Thanks! Y'all are the experts, so I appreciate your response.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

If you're going to collect Case knives you need a copy of that book. Worth every penny and then some!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Mumbleypeg wrote:If you're going to collect Case knives you need a copy of that book.
And here it is. Like Ken said, it's worth every penny.

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
NAllen731

Post by NAllen731 »

If you send a knife to Case for repair, it will come back looking like that. The way I see it if Case finds it acceptable to polish them like that I see no reason why a person selling one cant do it as well.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

NAllen731 wrote:If you send a knife to Case for repair, it will come back looking like that. The way I see it if Case finds it acceptable to polish them like that I see no reason why a person selling one cant do it as well.
Not necessarily.
Roger
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

There is buffing, and then there is BUFFING.

What drives me crazy is a knife that shows all the signs of once being badly corroded, but now the pits and craters on the blade & tang shine like the grill of a '49 Desoto. That ain't right.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

The problem with buffing a knife (other than it makes it look like a polished turd) is that it makes any flaws like pitting and scratches much more prominent. Buffing can totally ruin the appeal of a knife even when done lightly. A clean rag with polishing compound by hand is as far as should ever be done.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
NAllen731

Post by NAllen731 »

peanut740 wrote:
NAllen731 wrote:If you send a knife to Case for repair, it will come back looking like that. The way I see it if Case finds it acceptable to polish them like that I see no reason why a person selling one cant do it as well.
Not necessarily.
I have sent several to them and they have always returned highly polished, including the handles. They have one of mine and one of my sons right know, we will see how they are when they return.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

NAllen731 wrote:
peanut740 wrote:
Not necessarily.
I have sent several to them and they have always returned highly polished, including the handles. They have one of mine and one of my sons right know, we will see how they are when they return.
See above comments.Most people have no clue how to clean a knife.
Roger
NAllen731

Post by NAllen731 »

When I get the knife back from Case, I will post photos. Unfortunately I do not have any before photos.

I do understand the polished turd comment, I have done it myself trying to dress up a knife, lipstick on a pig was the end result.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The OP knife is authentic, and the blades are CV (carbon) steel - not stainless.

EDITED....once I looked at it my error - it is indeed stainless. all original, nice old knife.

Ebay in its infinite non-wisdom will no longer let you pull up a completed listing any more via the link, so I do not know if the knife was original or buffed out.

That said, it is not unusual to find XX, USA, and 70's dots Case knives in original mint condition. So just because a knife looks "too shiny" does not mean that it is a used knife that has been cleaned/buffed.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Steve, you CAN still view the completed listings on ebay, but you REALLY have to want to do it, because ebay has made it very difficult.

Step 1: When you see this, click the link on the word "Listing":
2018-06-14_121758.png

Step #2: On the next page, click the link on "See Original Listing":
2018-06-14_121849.png

Step #3: On the next page, there is no link, so it looks like you are stuck, but what you need to do is scroll down past all the worthless "help" ebay is trying to give you:
2018-06-14_121939.png

Finally, there it is!
2018-06-14_122049.png
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

TFL, thanks for this info.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Thanks, Two Flowers...another way around Ebay's stupidity.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”