Tested era 02230 real or cobbled?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
jmzhale

Tested era 02230 real or cobbled?

Post by jmzhale »

I've not actually held many tested era Case knives so I need some feedback. The shield, the partially hidden tang stamp, and the brass spacer on the secondary blade make me doubt it's authenticity. The research I've done contradicts itself. What say the experts!!?
Attachments
20180425_143452.jpg
20180425_143506.jpg
20180425_143512.jpg
20180425_143533.jpg
Woodly

Re: Tested era 02230 real or cobbled?

Post by Woodly »

Partially hidden stamps are common enough. I can't comment on the remainder.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Don't know much about that pattern, but ask yourself this. Why would anyone go to the trouble to counterfeit a nearly worn out knife? Based on that alone I'd be really surprised if it's not legit.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Don't know much about that pattern, but ask yourself this. Why would anyone go to the trouble to counterfeit a nearly worn out knife? Based on that alone I'd be really surprised if it's not legit.

Ken
Ditto.
Roger
jmzhale

Post by jmzhale »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Don't know much about that pattern, but ask yourself this. Why would anyone go to the trouble to counterfeit a nearly worn out knife? Based on that alone I'd be really surprised if it's not legit.

Ken
I thought about that and the only reason I can think of is to practice.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

My opinion is authentic knife that has been put to good use. I believe your knife had (has) a clip blade which would make the pattern 02230 1/2. If it had a spear blade as the main blade it would be a 02230. Here are pictures of another 02230 1/2 for comparison. The comparison knife also has the brass spacer you noticed on your knife. You will notice that the letter "C" in Case on your shield is the open C and on my knife is the closed C variation. Both variations of the "C" are common on Tested era knives and presents no reason for concern.
Attachments
Case Tested XX 02230 half #3a small.jpg
Case Tested XX 02230 half #5 small.jpg
Hillbilly70

Post by Hillbilly70 »

Ken
I agree!!
jmzhale

Post by jmzhale »

RalphAlsip wrote:My opinion is authentic knife that has been put to good use. I believe your knife had (has) a clip blade which would make the pattern 02230 1/2. If it had a spear blade as the main blade it would be a 02230. Here are pictures of another 02230 1/2 for comparison. The comparison knife also has the brass spacer you noticed on your knife. You will notice that the letter "C" in Case on your shield is the open C and on my knife is the closed C variation. Both variations of the "C" are common on Tested era knives and presents no reason for concern.
Thanks! It's amazing that as old and used as it is its still nearly as tight and snappy as a new one.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Good old Case quality, plus someone obviously loved it and probably put a drop of oil into the springs occassionaly. It's nearly 80 years old, or more. Keep it oiled and don't abuse it - it might last another 80 years! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Old knife that is used and original. The brass spacer is catch bit if I recall right.

Harold
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

jmzhale wrote:Thanks! It's amazing that as old and used as it is its still nearly as tight and snappy as a new one.
Yep, those old knives were very well made. Your knife served its owner well and I would also say your knife has been well cared for. Sure it's been sharpened, but it's clean for its age - there is no rust or corrosion visible, nothing is bent or broken, the handles don't have any cracks, and it sounds like it still works like it is supposed to.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”