Case Tested Toothpick Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

Case Tested Toothpick Knife

Post by just bob »

I see this knife listed at a local auction. Never seen anything like this. Is it the real deal? Comments appreciated.
Attachments
auction.png
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Tested Toothpick Knife

Post by gsmith7158 »

The nail Nick looks out of place for that era. That handle looks like the celluloid clear finish on picture knives. I can't say for sure but I don't think I would buy it. ::hmm::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

This is interesting. While I've never seen this knife (then again there are a ton of knives I've never seen) it strikes me that a vintage picture knife would be quite hard to fake. I hope Steve or other Case gurus will address Bob's question.

Are the pile side handles the same Bob?

Dennis
just bob

Post by just bob »

No it says Cutlery Co. on back and it is also like a picture. I'll post better pics later.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Interesting knife. Other than the fact that I've never seen anything quite like it I don't see anything that stands out as wrong. I think the pull looks right for a Tested 93 with this blade style. Case did make High Art Tested 93 patterns. Maybe someone else has seen one like this. Would need much better pictures or to have it in hand to better tell.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
just bob

Post by just bob »

Here are some better pics. Thanks for the comments. Maybe something seldom seen and others can enjoy.
Attachments
bbb 1.JPG
bbb 2.JPG
bbb 3.JPG
bbb 4.JPG
bbb 5.JPG

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Could very well be made up. Looks to me like the handle could be Plexiglas rather than celluloid. Odd there is no "S" to indicate Case and SONS rather than SON on a Tested era knife. If real I would think it to be a very early Tested knife and the blade would have the deep swedges and pull further forward like the earlier 93 blades. Lot of refinishing on the bolsters. Interesting but I wouldn't put much value in it.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

It seems to me that I have seen something similar to that before but I just can't place it at the moment. ::hmm::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

The blade looks reasonable to me although I do think it has been reprofiled or sharpened. The 31093 (and maybe any 093) was made with a high pull like the knife in question (see picture below for comparison). Please note the camera angles are different.

I don't like the handle - the craftsmanship is lacking in my experience (see picture below). My impression, which very well could be wrong, is that the current handle was added after it left the factory. For some reason the graphics remind me of Case Classic, which could be a completely wrong impression. Anyway, I annotated the handle picture with my observations.
Attachments
High Pull 093 Blade Compare.jpg
Handle Observations.jpg
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Authentic well-used and sharpened Tested toothpick that probably had yellow handles that disintegrated - those handles are not original.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”