whatizit

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

whatizit

Post by just bob »

I thought about posting this in the ugliest knife ever made category. No doubt a chop job here made of multiple knives.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1905-Imperial- ... 1438.l2649
Attachments
aaaaa .jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: whatizit

Post by Old Folder »

"Chop Job" is being too nice Bob.
I have posted this knife before, but it should also be noted here.
One of my first knives ever purchased was the below pictured HHH (House Hasson Hardware) O.Barnett Plier (tool) Knife. I bought this knife at the Pomona California Gun & Knife show in my beginning collector years, most likely very early 1980s. I do not recall how much I paid, but it certainly was not even close to the present high dollar amounts we currently observe. My knife is in very good condition, everything is tight, it walks, it talks, however, it does have one hairline handle fracture. Not bad considering it could be close to 120 years old.

The design of the Barnett Plier-Knife was patented on November 20, 1900 by James Catlin Lewis of Tracey, California. It was then apparently built for and marketed by a large number of companies. The majority were produced by Oscar Barnett in New Jersey. Many hardware wholesale houses distributed them, as did national retail mail order firms such as Sears & Roebuck Company. The most common stamping noted is "O. Barnett Tool Co., Newark, New Jersey", along with the "Trade HHH Mark" logo on the knife blade itself. The HHH marking is thought to refer to House-Hasson Hardware of Knoxville, Tennessee, apparently an exclusive distributor of this knife.

The below site has excellent "Patent" Images and interesting information pertaining to the first Plier Knife.
https://www.google.com/patents/US662005#PPA1898,M1

I remembered an article of the HHH knife was written about in one of my older Knife World magazines (now called Knife Magazine). So I ventured into old back issues of Knife World and finally found it. The below posted article (On page 2 of this posting) was within the November 1981 issue, page 13. It was written by "Houston Price" (Who else, of course). We lost Mr. Price in 2014 after numerous wonderful knife articles and books.

This is what his knife would have looked like in its original state before the botched surgery.
IMG_0005 (2).JPG
IMG_0006 (1).JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: whatizit

Post by Old Folder »

Page #2.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, but....this original article is 36 year old and on original poor quality paper.
IMG_0001 (2).JPG
IMG_0002 (1).JPG
IMG_0004 (2).JPG
IMG_0003 (2).JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”