The Way Out Westerns

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The Way Out Westerns

Post by btrwtr »

Has anyone noticed these Western fixed blades re-handled with acrylic selling on eBay. I know for some time now the red and yellow handled all original Western fixed blades have been bringing some high prices that are hard for me to rationalize but these acrylics are a different ballgame altogether.

Do buyers know that these are not original knives? I don't have any of this acrylic material but would gladly buy some and re-handle some Westerns for far less than these reworks are selling for.

Pictured are $475, $492, $531 and $540 selling prices respectively.

Here is the eBay link to high selling Western knives. Most of the acrylics you see are two sellers that I believe are one in the same.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Vintage-Fixed- ... kw=western
Attachments
Western 475.jpg
Western 492.jpg
Western 531.jpg
Western 540.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Re: The Way Out Westerns

Post by kootenay joe »

Wayne, what did Western use to make this style of handle, celluloid ?
kj
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

kootenay joe wrote:Wayne, what did Western use to make this style of handle, celluloid ?
kj
I believe red or yellow plastic, cracked ice celluloid, black beauty type aluminum and black fiber or H cut leather washers for the bifurcated tangs with leather being the most common and likely what was on these knives to begin with. The red and yellow plastic type handles are bringing respectable money in their own right so I doubt these knives were converted from that material.

There may be other handle materials and colors used on these but I am not sure. We do have some resident Western experts here on AAPK and they may be able to clarify.

Wayne

Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

I've been noticing these as well. I've been blown away with the prices there bringing. Crazy :roll: . I guess a lot of people buy what there eyes perceive as "pretty" and thats all that really matters to them? They could care less about factory correct or history, as long as it's "pretty" :roll: Theses knives are bring way more that original stag handled knives, that aint right.
Eye Brand Collector
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The other Wayne is right about Western handle materials - celluloid, leather, wood, stag, bone stag, BB (aluminum and plastic), and phenolic plastic were used on the smaller knives. Bakelite was only used on the Bx54 during WW2 and during the 30s on a wide range of hunting knives.

If you look at past history, this seller has a phenomenal amount of these knives. My guess is that since his location is Boulder Colorado, he picked up a ton of parts from the fire sale back when Camillus sold everything off. And being in Boulder, there are probably more Western knives in garage and estate sale than in most areas of the country.

The closest he ever comes to saying they are factory produced is when he calls them mint.

He may even be a former employee who assembled knives at Western as his work is excellent.

BUT Western NEVER used acrylic on anything, especially on the knives he identifies, correctly evey time, as being a 1950s or 1960s or a year code.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Are the originals with celluloid handles proving to be quite stable ? I have a 1950's Western FB with cracked ice handles that so far are fine.
kj
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The cracked ice are iffy. I've seen then in great shape and I've seen them in poor shape.

I had a nice one (stored separately, not in a sheath, etc.....) that I have have for 8 or 9 years. When I went to oil the blade again on my 6 month rotation, it had finally started to break down. Not a happy camper.

When they are in great shape they really look nice. But then the cracked ice will crack, etc usually when you least expect it.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Yup Wayne R, we are in the wrong business. Re-handling hunting knives seems to be a bustling business these days what with this Western guy and the Indiana Case fakers getting more for doctored knives than we seem to be able to get for honest knives. Used to be that the bowie fakers were in the lead but now it seems folks will pay stupid money for good old faked hunters.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Gunsil wrote:Yup Wayne R, we are in the wrong business. Re-handling hunting knives seems to be a bustling business these days what with this Western guy and the Indiana Case fakers getting more for doctored knives than we seem to be able to get for honest knives. Used to be that the bowie fakers were in the lead but now it seems folks will pay stupid money for good old faked hunters.
Maybe we should start faking knives from Pakistan. That could be the next big money trend.

Wayne

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”