Case Bradford Barlow

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case Bradford Barlow

Post by btrwtr »

Not sure what is going on with this knife but I can say that the frame, handles and that master blade certainly don't belong together. Bone handles are from a much later version Case Barlow c.1950-1970. Some heavy bidding going on for a knife that is cobbled. How can buyers spend this kind of money and have no idea of what they are buying. Read the knife couldn't be any more true than this example.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ANTIQUE-V ... 1438.l2649
Attachments
62009.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Bradford Barlow

Post by knifeaholic »

Yikes!! this seller has put up a lot of cobbled junk. I don't believe the blades are real, and as Wayne says the frame is late XX to 1970.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Where do these guys get blades that old that are in such good shape? Or are the blades fake? I would think any knife that old with handles so broken & beat-up that you would cannibalize the knife would have blades that showed much more age, not be bright & shiny. No?
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

It is for sure put together from parts, like Wayne said later frame, what the blades are?? Probably not Bradford.

Harold
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Someone paid $300 for it. That will insure another big bunch of fakes are in process right now. I am starting to wonder as some of you are, where are the blades coming from? Could a top drawer scammer have made (or had one made) a fake Case tang stamp? Not outside the realm of possibility is it?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I imagine if any of the Case stamps would be easy to fake, the Bradford or the 40-64 XX stamps would be the ones. We've seen some comically-bad Tested, 25 cent, etc. stamps in the past. ::td:: Currently I don't think XX is really valuable enough to fake en masse. So Bradford it is. Or maybe soeone had a drawer full of Bradford masters with long pull stashed away somewhere? ::shrug::

Question of blade aside, anybody with a pretty bone Barlow later XX/USA recognizes the dye style and cut of the bone..

Did real Bradford-era Barlows have an unstamped bolster?
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Tsar Bomba wrote:I imagine if any of the Case stamps would be easy to fake, the Bradford or the 40-64 XX stamps would be the ones. We've seen some comically-bad Tested, 25 cent, etc. stamps in the past. ::td:: Currently I don't think XX is really valuable enough to fake en masse. So Bradford it is. Or maybe soeone had a drawer full of Bradford masters with long pull stashed away somewhere? ::shrug::

Question of blade aside, anybody with a pretty bone Barlow later XX/USA recognizes the dye style and cut of the bone..

I have never seen the 62009 series barlows in any stamp older than Tested. The only Case Bradford stamped barlows that I have ever seen are the 005 patterns with jigged (not sawcut) bone and the stamped flat bolster.

I have also never seen a Case-made 009 barlow with long pull. The only ones with long pull that I have seen are the XX era 009 barlows that were made on contract by Ulster.

I believe that the main clip blade on the posted knife is not a real Case blade. - appears to be an older blade of some other brand that was restamped.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

The clip blade looks a lot like an old Ulster Barlow that I have. This seller has several knives that look questionable to me.

Ricky
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

knifeaholic wrote:
Tsar Bomba wrote:I imagine if any of the Case stamps would be easy to fake, the Bradford or the 40-64 XX stamps would be the ones. We've seen some comically-bad Tested, 25 cent, etc. stamps in the past. ::td:: Currently I don't think XX is really valuable enough to fake en masse. So Bradford it is. Or maybe soeone had a drawer full of Bradford masters with long pull stashed away somewhere? ::shrug::

I have never seen the 62009 series barlows in any stamp older than Tested. The only Case Bradford stamped barlows that I have ever seen are the 005 patterns with jigged (not sawcut) bone and the stamped flat bolster.

I have also never seen a Case-made 009 barlow with long pull. The only ones with long pull that I have seen are the XX era 009 barlows that were made on contract by Ulster.

I believe that the main clip blade on the posted knife is not a real Case blade. - appears to be an older blade of some other brand that was restamped.
Then that means some body, some where has had a tang stamp made to make the knives that are showing up like this one. That would really seem to me to be a fly in the ointment to Case collectors. Thanks to all you AAPK members posting comments about this knife as well as the many others that have been seen recently. But the fact remains that some one paid $300 for the one in question, and that will breed more of them.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Not everyone can sign up for AAPK and enjoy the wisdom and encyclopedic knowledge of a Case guru like Steve. ::shrug::

Oh. Wait. Everyone CAN sign up for AAPK! :lol: ::groove::

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”