Just curious

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
tongueriver

Just curious

Post by tongueriver »

Is this knife a 1960 1972 Queen with cracked ice celluloid handles or is it a Camillus 72 (or its Ulster analogue), rehandled in acrylic and the tang stamps ground off? I am not making any accusations; I just don't know. ? Ebay auctions for this knife or others like it have been going on for at least two years.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-QUEEN- ... dl1i-6pntg
Attachments
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg
s-l1600 (23).jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: Just curious

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Is 1960-72 the era of queen that had no tang stamp?
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:Is 1960-72 the era of queen that had no tang stamp?
That is one man's assertion, who wrote a concise history of Queen/ Schatt and which appears in a thread here, and referred to in the listing.
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Being a collector of Camillus 72 knives and there clones I have seen these so called Queen or apprentice made knives over several years.
Made by Queen is a new angle for the sale of these knives.
They were sold before as USA knives made by apprentice learning the knife industry with different color handles.
The only USA hands that touched these knives is when they were unpacked.
"Tell a long story and make a sale".
Ask a question and they purchased them from a estate sale with the information supplied.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I thought 1960-1972 Queen knives still had etched blades? Why would there be a pristine knife with neither the tang stamp nor an etched blade? I think we have to use a little of Occam's Razor here: Which is the more likely, that a bunch of mint knives that do not fit the previously accepted history are suddenly found, or that some ebay sleezeball figured out a way to sell a bunch of no-name Chinese knives as Queens for 10X what they are worth? ::hmm::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
alabama

Post by alabama »

I have one like it listed as apprentice made-from old school knife maker in Oregon bought at an estate sale...the original man was supposed to have made knives starting in 1964-supposed to be carbon-it is sorry stainless that crumbles when you try to sharpen it-my guess would be Pakistan...NOT A QUEEN KNIFE..
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Queen NEVER made that pattern. Only two of the Camillus 72s I have, both very early, both made for Sears have nail nicks. None of the 72 clones in my collection have a nail nick, all have a long pull. That handle material was never used on any Camillus made knives or those made by other companies.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Jerry presented the pertinent fact....Queen never made the pattern.

This seller, or other sellers, have tried to pull this scam for many years on Ebay. I saw these same listings years ago.

Cheap unmarked China or Pakistan knives. Made as knockoffs of the Camillus pattern.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thank you Steve. Great to get some backup from someone who's knowledge is so well respected.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I don't know why I bother but I sent the seller a message:

In the interest of helping you maintain your 100% positive feedback, you should know Queen NEVER made that pattern. Only two of the Camillus 72s I have, both very early, both made for Sears have nail nicks. None of the 72 clones in my collection have a nail nick, all have a long pull. That handle material was never used on any Camillus made knives or those made by other companies in the Carpenter's & Whittler pattern.

I would not be so bold as to hazard a guess as to the origin of the knife you have listed but I'm confident it wasn't any of the well known US makers.

I have been collecting Camillus 72's and clones for several years and have more than 14 pounds of Camillus 72's and clones (72 pattern made by other companies).

I hope this has been of some help. Thank you for your time. Good luck with your auction.

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

Giving the seller credit where credit is due, he quickly replied:

New message from: *vitalities* (815Purple Star)
Hi Jerry,
Thank you for your concern and inquiry.
I would never question your wisdom about knives, as I know I am just a novice and have never read any text books on knives nor talked to any knife experts.
About 20 miles away from my home is the Buck Knives Factory, and their workers told me that they have made so many different runs of knives, that there are a few they just couldn't keep track of and were never catalogued.
So I have been able to conclude that there are a number of knives that are not registered.
If you look at our Feedback that we have received from our buyers you will see that we are very honest sellers.
In all of our ads we do our best to be completely accurate with our descriptions.
We would never misrepresent anything we sell.
Hope this helps you.
Sincerely, Dan

Someone said 100% positive feedback is meaningless. I'm beginning to come around to that point of view.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Jerry I was checking my emails.
I sent this seller a message five years ago about a knife he stated was made in the USA that was made in Pakistan.
He stated to me that he was a novice at selling knives.
Never changed the listing.
Five years later still making the same mistakes,I don't think so.He knows what he doing.
I like their statement" We would never misrepresent anything we sell." ::barf::

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I was trying to figure out why claiming that Buck doesn't have good documentation (which I contest) would have *anything* to do with whether Queen made this knife.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

That's a beautiful knife ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

A skunk is a skunk and there is nothing you can say or do that will cause him to change his stripes or lose his stink. Stick a fork in me, I'm done with this one.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Jerry, I for one think the 100% positive feed backs are BS. I had a bad experience a while back with a guy from Texas, anyway bottom line was Ebay returned my money but they said that if I left a neg. feedback they would remove it.. ::td:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
alabama

Post by alabama »

when queen stopped tang stamps-THEY INKED IT ON THE BLADE
alabama

Post by alabama »

two flowers luggage-I was wondering that myself--by the way my-D....SS ordered 2 apprentice made knives that are exactly the same as this one--first impression-Pakistan...I tried to sharpen one with carbide sharpener--metal crumbles like a china Winchester--I sold one for 5 dollars at flea mkt..ps-i have china made knives that sharpen-that I like better than NEW case knives..
alabama

Post by alabama »

I sent seller a message myself and got the same-BUCK knife response...told him about apprentice made knives being the same..they cant be I live 20 miles from the buck factory---
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

He could live in the Buck factory and it still wouldn't make that knife right.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

He could describe that knife honestly and still get his price. Some folk just ain't honest. He can't plead ignorance at this point.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I actually have one exactly like that. T.J. Murphy sent it to me several years ago. It came with the piece of paper shown but I don't know if it belongs with the knife or not. After a little research, it appears that it may. A thread on BF from back in 2004 claims the knives originate in Pakistan. After handling the knife, that doesn't stretch my imagination.
Attachments
DSC08925.JPG
DSC08926.JPG
DSC08927.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
alabama

Post by alabama »

i have 2 with papers saying they were made by ??? apprentice-I contacted the man sent him here-he e-mailed me back yesterday and said it looked bad (for his knife) and that he took listing down-today its back up on 27 dollar buy it now---with a new paper saying it is tool steel--he blocked my messages-let him have it with your own messages--

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”