CLONE- new word fer fake

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
tongueriver

CLONE- new word fer fake

Post by tongueriver »

KnifeSlinger#81

Re: CLONE- new word fer fake

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

The sellers name is quite ironic.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Honest_Dealer_*** is based in China... where the knife ships from. Less than 100 sales to date.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I might be wrong, but I don't think Mr. Loveless ever used a stamp quite like that one. :shock:
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

The clone versus fake is a bit complicated. If the maker of the Loveless clones actually has rights to the name, then is it really any different from those beautiful Maher & Grosh Yankee Whittler clones that GEC is selling? If the knife is comparable quality to the original is it a clone and if it is not as well made then it is a fake? I do not know the answers, that is for sure. I do hate seeing American brands made in China, but if that makes them fake then Buck is selling fake knives, and I do not believe that a knife sold under the company's name by the company can be a fake. A POS yes, but not a fake.
Mel
just bob

Post by just bob »

That's just sad and what they have done to the Marbles brand name is sad. I wouldn't buy one of them of they were $5 each. Those are a disgrace to a person that respects classic knives.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

A Chinese company "ACME" bought the names Camillus and Western at the Camillus auction when they filed for bankruptcy back in 2007.

Now, whenever I see any of the new Camillus and Western knives made by them, my first thought is "Wiley Coyote vs Roadrunner".

The knives may not be fake or counterfeit knives, but I am not impressed with the quality of them at all.

ACME also seems to come real close to skirting the counterfeit/fake line with some of their products.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Clone just another copy.

Reminds me of a Company Owner that used to say he spent a lot of money in R & D, which was supposed to be Research and Development......

When in Reality, in his case, was RIP OFF & DUPLICATE ::hmm::

Sad

Tom
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It certainly is a FAKE when not only is the knife pattern copied but the markings are also a close copy of the original. I am sure there are people who will buy this for $130 and then be able to sell it for $1000 or more to a novice knife enthusiast.
I see a "clone" as a copy of a knife pattern but without the markings of an original.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I dislike the use of the word "clone" anywhere in a listing like this. This is a major failing on eBay's part.

A clone has some sort of tie or link to the original. The "DNA" is the same, if you will.

That China knife never saw the inside of Bob Loveless's shop, nor probably been anywhere near a knife that actually came from there.

It's a "copy" at best (read: counterfeit) and no amount of asserting that the knife follows Bob's "design" will change what it is: An overpriced piece of IP theft.
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”