How does ebay let fakes sell ???

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
EagleEyeTwo

Re: How does ebay let fakes sell ???

Post by EagleEyeTwo »

You have to stay after them in that instance or call the company that is being copied and their lawyers will take care of it.
just bob

Post by just bob »

I think there is a huge difference between knock offs and counterfeits and in this forum they are treated as the same. I was channel surfing the other day and happened upon this program about knock offs on Nat Geo. They don't specifically focus on knives but show the lengths Chinese manufactures go to in order to get their products into the USA and the ways the various agencies are working to stop them. An hour well spent. Maybe you can watch it from this link or get more information. If you have Comcast I'm sure it's on demand.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/u ... 1-2091360/
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

just bob wrote:I think there is a huge difference between knock offs and counterfeits and in this forum they are treated as the same. I was channel surfing the other day and happened upon this program about knock offs on Nat Geo. They don't specifically focus on knives but show the lengths Chinese manufactures go to in order to get their products into the USA and the ways the various agencies are working to stop them. An hour well spent. Maybe you can watch it from this link or get more information. If you have Comcast I'm sure it's on demand.

I thought this caption was interesting. The street is more honest than Ebay! "These watches will either be sold on the streets as fake watches or sold on ebay as the real thing."
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

supratentorial wrote:
just bob wrote:I think there is a huge difference between knock offs and counterfeits and in this forum they are treated as the same. I was channel surfing the other day and happened upon this program about knock offs on Nat Geo. They don't specifically focus on knives but show the lengths Chinese manufactures go to in order to get their products into the USA and the ways the various agencies are working to stop them. An hour well spent. Maybe you can watch it from this link or get more information. If you have Comcast I'm sure it's on demand.

I thought this caption was interesting. The street is more honest than Ebay! "These watches will either be sold on the streets as fake watches or sold on ebay as the real thing."
Excellent point. I've posted about this before on another thread. Unless things have changed in the past 10 years or so many Asian countries (China, Korea, and others) have no copyright or patent laws and do not recognize, nor do they enforce, those of other countries. And they are masters at reverse engineering and copying, at least cosmetically, everything from electronics to consumer fashion goods. In major Asian cities you will find a flea market or bazaar-style marketplace, usually called the "Chinese Market", where knock-off goods are sold. Everything from famous branded clothing like Nautica, North Face, Columbia and Guess, to Coach and Dooney & Burke purses, and name-brand "Swiss" watches. Knock-off DVDs of first-run Hollywood movies (sometimes simultaneous with or before their U.S. theatrical release) and knock-off CDs by major musical artists. It is an industry there.

In general the merchandise looks good cosmetically but the actual quality is poor. The clothing is made of inferior quality, light weight materials. The leather goods will fade or the color rub off quickly. If you're lucky the watches may work for a month or two before quitting and the micro-thin plating will begin rubbing off in a few days (but you bought a "Rolex" for $25). :lol:

But at those same markets if you want to spend more you can get similar goods made with higher quality materials. Still knock-off goods but more likely to fool an unsuspecting buyer. For $100 you can get a "Rolex" with heavier plating and a reject Rado movement that might last a year before quitting. It will fool most anyone but a watch-maker.

The difference between that and eBay is the sellers they make no pretense that their merchandise is authentic. The buyers know full well they are buying knock-offs. But in neither case does the legitimate company get any return on their investments in R&D, intellectual property, or advertising.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Look at it this way... 1000 people in a room, 400 of them are honest God fearing people, 200 are honest but hey, there's a fiver on the floor. 200 more try to be honest but take supplies home from work, almost daily. 150 are liars, 50 are thieves.
The numbers are wrong but the concept is correct. Now put 7 billion people in this example. (not the room :wink: )

Counterfeiting has been a human condition since man first thought of possessions or the concept of MINE vs OURS.

The problem is not the trinket but the species.

Do you know the joke where a fella is asked "What is your worst trait?"...
Fella says "I'm honest to a fault!"
First guy says... "I don't think that is a bad trait!"
Fella says "I really don't care what you think" ::tu::

People are the problem. Not all of us but enough of us. ::nod::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Robo

Post by Robo »

I notified e-bay about a fake Case 31095 pattern Fishing knife and they thanked me and politely asked me to not bug them anymore about it, that they would deal with the matter in due time. They said if I contacted them again it would only add to the time it would take for them to resolve the matter. In other words, chances are slim they are gonna deal with it at all. Nobody's gonna buy the knife anyway for the price this tool is selling it for. It does bug me a bit that anybody would spend 200.00 dollars worth of labor faking a knife that you can get for under $50.00 mint. I was thinking though that if AAPK members bombarded the fakers with messages calling them out and telling them that they were being scorned and mocked a legit and popular forum they would be shamed into pulling the fake. Just a thought.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”