You Won't Be Disappointed! Case XX mint, 4100 melon tester

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

You Won't Be Disappointed! Case XX mint, 4100 melon tester

Post by btrwtr »

Seller proclaims that "You will not be disappointed!" and "Buy from an experienced eBay knife seller!"

In spite of that this sale may actually disappoint if the buyer thinks this is an all original knife. These Case 4100 pattern knives had white plastic handles that would often shrink up to the point of ruin. This knife has obviously been re-handled. Sad!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142579167061?rmvSB=true
Attachments
4100.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
just bob

Re: You Won't Be Disappointed! Case XX mint, 4100 melon tester

Post by just bob »

Sporty misses the mark again! Sad that he has so many bids. Someone will pay good money for a cobbled up knife.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Pisses me off when I see forum members, one in particular, defending this crook.

Sell your integrity for the almighty dollar. This guy is an embarrassment to the knife hobby and community.

CROOK!!!!
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I'm with you Jerry
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Pattern 4100 indicates plastic handles.
Camillus & Schrade both had a 'Custom Workshop' in which a knife pattern would be 'tarted up', made fancy in some way. Did Case also have a Custom shop ? If they did is there a way to know if a knife was modified in house vs. after sale modification ?
This Stag 00 looks professionally hafted, not an amateur job.
kj
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

kootenay joe wrote:Pattern 4100 indicates plastic handles.
Camillus & Schrade both had a 'Custom Workshop' in which a knife pattern would be 'tarted up', made fancy in some way. Did Case also have a Custom shop ? If they did is there a way to know if a knife was modified in house vs. after sale modification ?
This Stag 00 looks professionally hafted, not an amateur job.
kj
NO...this is a post-factory rehandle.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Steve, i was not suggesting anything about the OP knife.
My question is a general one: did Case run a 'Custom Shop' ? and if so, is there any way to know that a Case knife was modified in the Custom Shop ?
kj
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

kootenay joe wrote:Steve, i was not suggesting anything about the OP knife.
My question is a general one: did Case run a 'Custom Shop' ? and if so, is there any way to know that a Case knife was modified in the Custom Shop ?
kj
This is a thread about a specific knife and seller. So you agree the knife is not correct or not? There is not /nor was a Case Custom shop. Open another thread for that question if you like.

This thread is about an obviously incorrect knife and CROOK whom knows it and decides to sell it anyway for a dollar sacrificing his soul and integrity.

And please don’t spew that crap as in the past that it is up to seller to know and if they get burned it is their fault. This guy knows it is a bogus knife and chooses to sell it anyway. Hurts our hobby and knife collectors in my opinion as I stated.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Jerry, it is absolutely standard to ask a general question brought up by a specific knife in the same thread. There are hundreds, even thousands of threads here that demonstrate this. It is how we all learn more. How can you have a problem with this ?
I am surprised to learn that Case has never had a custom shop. My experience is with Schrade & Camillus both of which had active custom shops that modified regular production knives.
Why react negatively because someone has a different opinion than yourself ? The only way to expand one's knowledge is to read and listen to differing opinions. I am not saying one must agree with a differing opinion but there is nothing to be gained from 'going after' a person with a different opinion. However there is something that might be gained from discussing the particulars of a certain knife or situation rather than the person presenting the opinion or in this case a question.
I said nothing about the OP knife being all original. My first statement is that knife does not match the stamped on pattern number. Furthermore when Wayne says a knife is not right, i have full confidence that he is correct.
Live & let live. If we all believed the same things then there would be little reason to have a forum like AAPK.
kj
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

kootenay joe wrote:Jerry, it is absolutely standard to ask a general question brought up by a specific knife in the same thread. There are hundreds, even thousands of threads here that demonstrate this. It is how we all learn more. How can you have a problem with this ?
I am surprised to learn that Case has never had a custom shop. My experience is with Schrade & Camillus both of which had active custom shops that modified regular production knives.
Why react negatively because someone has a different opinion than yourself ? The only way to expand one's knowledge is to read and listen to differing opinions. I am not saying one must agree with a differing opinion but there is nothing to be gained from 'going after' a person with a different opinion. However there is something that might be gained from discussing the particulars of a certain knife or situation rather than the person presenting the opinion or in this case a question.
I said nothing about the OP knife being all original. My first statement is that knife does not match the stamped on pattern number. Furthermore when Wayne says a knife is not right, i have full confidence that he is correct.
Live & let live. If we all believed the same things then there would be little reason to have a forum like AAPK.
kj
Sorry, re read your post. There was never a difference of opinion at least on this post as you never stated one. Stating the obvious does not constitute an opinion in my book. IE pattern stamp does not match scales. That is fact, not opinion.

Tired of the smoke and mirrors. Here is where we do have a difference of opinion...

I have seen numerous posts of you defending this CROOK when he was called on blatant, obvious fakes he chooses to sell for the benefit of money all while helping to destroy our hobby.

Certainly that is your right as it is mine to express my opinion also.

This guy is a CROOK and no amount of defense or diversion will make me think otherwise as this is not a one off, it is repetitive.

Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, ACTS like a duck, it is a dusty duck. Let’s just be reasonable and honest with ourselves and have the guts and integrity to call it what it is and not make excuses or defend what we know to be morally wrong and in fact true.

Jerry
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Jerry, you are making something out of nothing. Maybe you like disagreements ? or you need everyone to agree with you ? Being uncomfortable with a differing of opinion is insecurity.
Try being positive towards others. It makes life happier for yourself.
kj
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

What differing opinion? Consider that’s rhetorical question.

The opinion we differ on is we both know he is a crook. One of us has the guts to say it. The other defends it for who knows what reason. Numerous past posts show this.

End of story and discussion for me. Our past actions on this forum speak to the men we are. That say it all.

Jerry
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Just sent this to old dusty on his auction. Will see if he responds....

This knife is not “Authenticity= Original” as the auction states. That pattern number indicates white composition handles. In fact, pretty sure CASE never made a stag 00 model.
Please do the right thing and pull the knife from auction and destroy it or have the integrity to clearly state it has been re-handled.

Jerry
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

A few things to say here.
He (Sportcolbs) also sold an Abalone handled Melon tester a few days ago. Both of these knives, correct or not are stunning but that is not the point here, and I understand that.

The other thing is actually a question based on another thread here.
A poster was asking about the authenticity of a commemorative Case knife. Iraq or desert Storm or some such.
The knife was made the year before the event had occurred meaning the modification was done later yet the knife is in a CASE collector box, and was deemed authentic here.
What I found interesting was that the fellows in the post had stated that Frost cutlery had done the modification, and that Frost does many Case knife modifications including scales/handles.

So if the knife in the other thread is considered as an authentic Case' yet was re-worked by another company... see where I'm going?
Any way to know if Frost was involved in these melon knives? If they were then would these melon knives be considered authentic as was the other commemorative knife?
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Ken the Frost modifications are done under a licensing agreement they have with Case. Both companies have come to an agreement on whatever is done to the knives. That's an entirely different thing from when someone takes it upon themselves to modify a knife then present it for sale as an original product of the company who made it.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
americanedgetech

I understand.
The commemorative knife had nothing stating that it was modified out of house, and I was curious as to if that cold have been the situation here... ::tu::
Ken Mc.

espn77

Post by espn77 »

We have discussed this before but here is my take.
A person's name is all we have. Plent of people rehandle knives and modify them, and make a good living doing it. But they advertise them as rehandled / modified knives. And I'm probably going to send one of my knives off to have it done. But when you are a knowledgeable knife person that intentionally leaves that information out to try to swindle another person into buying what you have eluded to as a correct knife, it's wrong, IMO. The knife world is very small and I have future plans for myself and I wouldn't be willing to ruin my name over any knife as this seller continues to do. 4 years ago he was the top seller on eBay with his questionable knives, now his knives bring much less. Reputation is huge and his isn't good.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

::uc::
americanedgetech wrote: What I found interesting was that the fellows in the post had stated that Frost cutlery had done the modification, and that Frost does many Case knife modifications including scales/handles.

So if the knife in the other thread is considered as an authentic Case' yet was re-worked by another company... see where I'm going?
Any way to know if Frost was involved in these melon knives? If they were then would these melon knives be considered authentic as was the other commemorative knife?
Ken, the OP melon tester was a XX era knife - 1940-64 which pre-dates the popularity of the knife collecting hobby, so it was made to be a user, not a collector piece. As was pointed out previously the original handles were white composition material which is notorious for handle shrinkage with age - probably the reason for re-handling.

The advent of knife collecting as a popular hobby in the late 1960s-early 1970s gave rise to entrepreneurs like Parker and Frost, and eventually to Frost. Prater, Yellowhorse and others branching into licensed (and unlicensed) knife modifications in the mid-to-late 1990s.

So a knife of the OP knife's vintage would not have been a licensed modification. Hope that makes sense.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
americanedgetech

Perfect sense sir!!!
That's an answer that I can sink my teeth into. Getting smarter by the minute.
Thank you Ken ::handshake::
Ken Mc.

americanedgetech

espn77 wrote:We have discussed this before but here is my take.
A person's name is all we have. Plent of people rehandle knives and modify them, and make a good living doing it. But they advertise them as rehandled / modified knives. And I'm probably going to send one of my knives off to have it done. But when you are a knowledgeable knife person that intentionally leaves that information out to try to swindle another person into buying what you have eluded to as a correct knife, it's wrong, IMO. The knife world is very small and I have future plans for myself and I wouldn't be willing to ruin my name over any knife as this seller continues to do. 4 years ago he was the top seller on eBay with his questionable knives, now his knives bring much less. Reputation is huge and his isn't good.
Hmmmm This is important information. Something to consider at least.
Ken Mc.

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

To some reputation and integrity mean everything. To others reputation and integrity mean little and money is much more important.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wayne what you say is absolutely true. What is bad is that our societies reward most those who go for money over integrity. You can even get to be President by worshiping money.
kj
CANTHOK

Post by CANTHOK »

"BS" come on Joe. Your reasoning leads us right back to where all this discussion started--money--- president "come on".
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Joe, I appreciate your knowledge on knives. But I don't understand why you feel it's your calling to continue to put my country and my president down in the knife forum. I wish you would keep those comments to yourself or down in the political discussion forum.
No disrespect intended but please respect my country.
Thanks Keith
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

espn77 wrote:Joe, I appreciate your knowledge on knives. But I don't understand why you feel it's your calling to continue to put my country and my president down in the knife forum. I wish you would keep those comments to yourself or down in the political discussion forum.
No disrespect intended but please respect my country.
Thanks Keith
Agreed Keith. Well said.

Jerry

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”