CATTARAUGUS question ..

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
John Carter

CATTARAUGUS question ..

Post by John Carter »

I've had this pen knife for years but what I've often wondered about is the fact that the large blade doesn't have a half stop, yet the smaller blade does.

Is that right?
Attachments
20171107_210250.jpg
20171107_210939.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: CATTARAUGUS question ..

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'm not a Catt expert but it's fairly common for all blades to not have half stops. I have several that way including a few whittlers on which the master blade has no half stop but both secondaries do have half stops. Maybe someone that knows more about Cattaraugus will have an opinion on your knife - I see nothing that would tell me it's not genuine.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

no expert either but all of the catts that i have owned have half stops on some of the blades and then not on the others. It seems to be somewhat common for older knives to have a combo. just my observation.
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

John Carter wrote:I've had this pen knife for years but what I've often wondered about is the fact that the large blade doesn't have a half stop, yet the smaller blade does.

Is that right?

I don't find that the least bit unusual.
Joe
patch1

Post by patch1 »

John.
Not to worry. I have some Catts the same way. Usually the smaller pens and equal-ends.
I'm posting 4 of mine that have no half stops on the main blades, the pen blades have half stops.

Patch1
Attachments
P1010235.JPG
Snowbird Eh?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Many vintage USA & British knives have half stops on secondary(ies), but not master, not limited to Cattaraugus.
I have wondered why this is so. A half stop gives your fingers a second chance if you inadvertently knock the blade off the open position. Hence it seems to make better sense to put the half stop on the larger more heavily sprung blade.
Likely a cutler could answer why the half stops are only ever on the secondaries in vintage knives. Maybe one will post the answer ?
kj
Gatorfleas

Post by Gatorfleas »

Ole Fleas here...does the tang stamp on this knife not look suspious....to me it looks way out of whack and does look like it is very uneven and some of the letters do not look the right...like the c in the beginning....just curious guys...y'all know more than me but to me it sticks out pretty quick as being bogus....weigh in for me..FLEAS OUT
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Nice old Cat. Tang stamp is fine.

Harold

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”