Knives with no shield legit?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Flubyu2

Knives with no shield legit?

Post by Flubyu2 »

Thank you for adding me to the forum. My question is this. The case 01 pattern (2 5/8 equal end pen), the pre 1980 versions, did they make these without the shield? I have bought several from this seller on ebay and none have had the shield. I happen to collect this pattern and have over 40 and they all have the shield so I got to thinking..........anyway here is the link to the auction and some pictures of one of the knives. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-XX-USA-92 ... true&rt=nc
s-l1000.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1601.jpg
s-l1602.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knives with no shield legit?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Knife looks all right to me. I've seen this pattern in bone, delrin, genuine pearl and imitation pearl handles. The bone and delrin (both number 6201 patterns) have shields. I can't recall ever seeing a pearl (8201) or imitation pearl (9201) with a shield.

Welcome to AAPK. Recommend using the search engine here (found under the "Quick links" header) to learn more about this pattern, and also this seller.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Knife is likely right, but it is certainly not mint as advertised. This seller is on the "don't trust list" of many collectors. He is well known for advertising buffed and cleaned up knives as mint when they aren't. I would be very leery about purchasing any knives from this fellow.
Flubyu2

Post by Flubyu2 »

Thanks, I will not be buying any more from this fellow
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

To add to what others have said...

At least from the XX era onward, 9201 will never have a shield, 6201 will always have a shield, 3201 is mixed, some will have a shield and some will not. The 3201 seems to be scarcer with the shield than without.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My experience with this seller differs from what others have said. Many buys over the last 10 years, at least 50. 2 were not to my liking, returned for full refund, no hassle. Some of the remaining 48 knives were real gems, truly close to mint, never messed with, for little money.
He lists a lot of knives, up to 250 per week so his assessments can be hasty, miss things & be inaccurate, so you must examine pics closely.
kj
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I have also bought about a dozen knives from him. Mine were specifically Puma knives from the early 80's. All of them new in box, and were fantastic.

You can spot the knives that are polished, and miss-labeled as "mint" or near mint or NIB, and I never felt he was directly deceptive. Just busy trying to make a dollar on the most difficult venue you can choose to sell on.

In the case of YOUR Case... It's a nice clean knife. Maybe cleaned up with a polishing cloth but not a buffing wheel.
Nice little knife! ::tu::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have bought a number of knives from Bill Swan. No problems, except that he has such a following most of his items sell a little higher than they should. His listings are often unbelievably inaccurate, but the images are just good enough, and my experience just good enough so that I can be comfortable in my dealings with him. I think he is absolutely fine as a seller. A buyer does need to have a little knowledge aforehand before buying from anyone. I was not so sharp when I started buying knives, but I have learned a thing or two. Still make a mistake once in awhile.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”