Really poor fake KA-BAR

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Gunsil

Really poor fake KA-BAR

Post by Gunsil »

Not sure how to post ebay items here, but this is a really poor quality fake KA-BAR, surprised it already has a bid.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KA-Bar-Union-C ... Swe09Z7pAP
zzyzzogeton

Re: Really poor fake KA-BAR

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Gunsil, could you edumacate me on why it's a fake?

I have a couple of suspicions, but my thoughts might be wrong.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Bone jigging is wrong, dog head is not like even the newer KA-BAR dog heads which are not like the originals themselves. KA-BAR never made a knife with those two similar blades KA-BAR tang stamps not correct either. Likely they never made that handle pattern either, and there are no nice top grinds on the blades. That nasty looking dog head and bone alone should send up the warning flags. Let me know if anyone sees other bad points.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

zzyzzogeton,
I too looked at the knife on ebay and the 1st thing that caught my eye was the dog head shield is not angled like most other "dog heads". In my opinion ol' pup is looking down toward the back of the knife rather than along the length of the handle as he does on more accurate knife. Compare to other pics and it will stand out.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

The angle of the dog has little to do with it, the angle may be different on different originals. It is the head itself that is nowhere like any KA-BAR dog head over the years. This pattern was never made in the original run of dog heads from the Union Cut days to 1941. It also wasn't available in the later run of Collector's Club dog heads. The collector club dog heads are not like the original dog heads either, it is rather easy to see the differences.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Here's one of my Dogs Head Ka-Bars for comparison. (Click on image to enlarge)

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Comment to Mike.. Nice Knive ::tu:: Few More Pics and And Explaination of What Pattern it is would Make my Day Brother Man Thanks Joe ::super_happy::
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

KleenCut61 wrote:Comment to Mike.. Nice Knive ::tu:: Few More Pics and And Explaination of What Pattern it is would Make my Day Brother Man Thanks Joe ::super_happy::
Thanks. My main reason for the photo was to have an authentic Dogs Head shield to compare the OP with. I think I have a few more photos of my knife but I'm not sure of the pattern number. I guess I'd just call it a Stockman. I believe it's a 1980. (Click on photos to enlarge)

1980 era Dogs Head.jpg
Dogs Head X2.jpg
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Mike's knife is not really an original or authentic dog head KA-BAR. It is a knife made by Queen for KA-BAR in the 1980s-1990s and the dog head is not like the one on the original pre-WW2 KA-BAR dog head knives which are regarded as some of the best folders ever made. It does not have anywhere near the quality of manufacture of the originals, and some KA-BAR purists don't regard them as real KA-BARs since they were made in Titusville, PA, rather than Olean, NY where the originals came from. I am away from home for another week so I cannot post photos of real original dog head knives so others can see the difference in the actual dog head.
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Sure Gene : Were HIP ::nod:: On Its Side Mikes Knife Looked Like a Big Folding Hunter ,, Imagine My Surprize :lol: Looked Smooth ::facepalm:: We Be Here When ya get Back ::handshake::
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Gunsil,

Thanks for confirming what I thought was "off".

The stamps, dog's head and the blade configuration are what I was thinking were "off". I don't know enough about the early Kabar folders to determine proper jig patterns, handle materials, etc.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”