Stag Russell

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

Stag Russell

Post by just bob »

I've been looking at this and the more I stare the more I am convinced the handles aren't original to the knife. Pins are smashed and considering the blade wear and sharpening you would think the handles would have been worn down much more. A stag Russell is very uncommon, but I don't think this one is right? Comments?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Russell ... 1438.l2649
Attachments
russell .jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Stag Russell

Post by terryl308 »

Just Bob, I'm not an expert on Russel knives but it looks ok to me. Us knifemakers call that "popcorn" stag, very hard to come up with and expensive, so I don't think anyone would use it on a $60 knife. But I've been wrong before ::shrug:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Absolutely great stag but the question is: did Russell ever use stag on their Daddy Barlow ?
Hopefully a Russell collector will chime in.
kj
just bob

Post by just bob »

Here is what I think was a real one from some time back. Notice how the stag is mated to the bolster and worn smooth in that area. This knife or one like it brought about $500 on ebay some time back. A stag Russell daddy Barlow is very uncommon. the knife that just sold for $60 on ebay sure didn't draw a lot of interest.
Attachments
russbar1.jpg

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Bob, your Russell daddy barlow is super nice! ::tu:: ::tu::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Looks neat! The pin where the crack is at the butt end have been messed with recently, but that doesn't mean much.

I don't know much about Russells, but the age on the stag looks possibly consistent with the age of the knife. However, can't recall ever seeing a Russell with that crazy popcorn stag before.

Hope someone more knowledgeable is able to comment on it.
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

I agree with Glenn. Some messed with pins but that doesn't mean much. I don't see any real indications that the knife has been taken appart from the photos. As with any old knife, I'd want to have it in hand before making a definitive statement but what I see in the photos looks okay. The ending bid amount means nothing. Probably wasn't shiny enough for the racoons on Ebay and the blade is short.
just bob

Post by just bob »

Thanks for the comments. Always interesting to read what others are seeing. Go back in and look at that op knife. From the bottom view the knobby stag is clearly 1/8" above the bolsters at least. I have never seen another factory finished knife where the handle material and the bolster aren't mated and have a flush finish. No matter if it is bone, stag, or plastic there is a mated finish. Look at the genuine Russell stag that is posted and you can see that area has been mated when the knife was hafted at the factory and is flush. I think maybe that knobby stag on the op knife is old and maybe contemporary with the knife, but there is no way that is a factory finished knife. Also look at the pins on the side view - they are clearly above the stag handle material. That would never happen on a factory finished knife and the heads are also smashed and no effort has been made to round them. Maybe I'm seeing things but all of that looks obvious to me. I liked the knife in the op and seriously considered buying it, but decided to pass. I'll bet it looks much worse in hand.

just bob

Post by just bob »

Here Is a pic of the bolster area with the stag much higher than the bolster. Does anyone else have a factory knife where the handle material is above the bolster? I don't think I have ever seen one?
Attachments
stag .jpg

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I see what you are saying about the pin, although the pin that is sticking above is the one that looks like it is newer, or has been messed with recently.

I agree that factory knives aren't produced that look like that. However, I have seen similar treatment with stag and sawcut bone on older knives.

Interesting knife, either way.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It is standard on vintage German knives that stag is proud of bolsters by even 1/4".
There have been fake Russell folders made in Germany.
kj
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

The pin sticking out doesn't concern me. I have seen authentic oldies that some how made it out of the factory with poorly peened heads or pins that weren't peened at all. These were from high quality brands like Walden, Schrade Cut Co etc. I've seen a completely unused Schrade Cut Co that had a missing pin as well... but I can't rule out the possibility that it fell out.

I do think the pins on the OP have been messed with recently. My guess is that it was sticking out and someone recently messed with it.

The stag is a tough call. I would rely more on examination of the knife to determine if it had been taken apart.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

After looking at the old Russell, I think someone has replaced the back pin and not very carefully. The holes didn't line up quite right and they broke a piece of the stag off when replacing it. I still think it is original stag, just an old repair job. a lot of people did not grind off or polish the popcorn stag and the pins would also be a little proud. If I would have seen it in time, I probably would have gambled on it for 60 some bucks. ::shrug:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”