Anything wrong with this Copperhead?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
FLATFENDERJEEP

Anything wrong with this Copperhead?

Post by FLATFENDERJEEP »

Hello to all 1st post here. Thought I would bring it to attention of a suspect knife. Blade swap here. Just sayin.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/292233124340?_mwBanner=1
Mountain Man Knives

Re: Anything wrong with this Cooperhead?

Post by Mountain Man Knives »

Shield doesn't look right for a 1976 to me I have a trapper 4 Dot and its CASE inside its Shield is In-circled ~ maybe they used more than one shield in 1976 ~ But I don't think so ~
FLATFENDERJEEP

Re: Anything wrong with this Copperhead?

Post by FLATFENDERJEEP »

Tang stamp should be 5249 not 6249. Front pin looks messy to me
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Knife has definitely been cobbled.

::welcome:: to AAPK
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Mountain Man Knives

Post by Mountain Man Knives »

FLATFENDERJEEP wrote:Tang stamp should be 5249 not 6249. Front pin looks messy to me
Could of been rescaled and that might explain the 6249 stamp and Stag Scales as well and not true to era Shield ~ Blades looks good though Frame is probably good too ~
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

I believe Case started using that shield in 1974 on Delrin handled knives. If the knife had came out with bone then the shield would have had a circle around the word Case and if it was true stag it would be a 5249. So I believe someone took the Delrin scales off and replaced them with the stag probably to try and increase the value. Not original.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
FLATFENDERJEEP

Post by FLATFENDERJEEP »

Thanks for all of your input and scenarios. I see what you all are saying as rescaling. i just look at all of the bids of cobbled up knives and can't believe how many people get burned on EBay.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

FLATFENDERJEEP wrote:Thanks for all of your input and scenarios. I see what you all are saying as rescaling. i just look at all of the bids of cobbled up knives and can't believe how many people get burned on EBay.
OK. Now show a picture of your flat fender Jeep!!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

You're right to be very cautious of anything sold on eBay. There are good knives there, but there are also fakes - a lot of them. This one has been re-handled, originally had Delrin handles. The shield is from the Delrin handles.

Welcome to AAPK. A lot of good info, including sheilds, can be found in the "Research" section. Click on "Research" at the top of the page.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

This knife started out as a 1976 copper head with Delrin handles. It has been rehandled as there were no copper heads produced in stag during the 70's until the 1979 stag set that included one. As you can see the Delrin shield was reused on the new scales.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Landersknives wrote:So I believe someone took the Delrin scales off and replaced them with the stag probably to try and increase the value. Not original.
No offense intended Ed but that's not necessarily true. I have several knives I've had rehandled because I thought they looked good (better) in new clothes. Case in point is a Schrade 863 rehandled in stag by Herman Williams. Since Schrade never made an 863 with stag handles, my knife sorta falls in the same category y'all are discussing. There's no chicanery going on here because they are not for sale and most likely will not be for sale during my lifetime. They are for my personal pleasure only. What happens to them after I croak is not something I stress over.
Attachments
Schrade 863 H Willliiams - Mark Open.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Jerry you are right my friend I should not have assumed and made a general statement saying that they changed the handles/scales just for profit. I do believe that happens. I have some knives like yours that the scales have been changed and they will go no where until my sons decide who gets what. Again no disrespect intended to anyone and I will try to be more careful when I post. Jerry no offense taken I believe we both come from a time when it was ok to agree to disagree or to make a comment to a friend to let them know "hey the way you said that is kinda whomp-p-jawed". Respectfully your friend, Ed.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Landersknives wrote: I do believe that happens.Respectfully your friend, Ed.
As do I. That wasn't a knock on ya. Just presenting a different perspective. I a-kin the world of knives to horse trading. :lol: Let the buyer beware and very aware. ::handshake::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

::handshake:: I find nothing wrong with fixing up a good ole knife with new scales, however if one was to sell it on ebay or where ever, he should advertise it as being rehandled, some times that adds value to a broken scale knife. I think everyone knows that here on aapk. Terry ::tu::
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
FLATFENDERJEEP

Post by FLATFENDERJEEP »

edge213 wrote:
FLATFENDERJEEP wrote:Thanks for all of your input and scenarios. I see what you all are saying as rescaling. i just look at all of the bids of cobbled up knives and can't believe how many people get burned on EBay.
Attachments
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG
FLATFENDERJEEP

Post by FLATFENDERJEEP »

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. This is a great site, with a lot of great info.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

FLATFENDERJEEP wrote:
edge213 wrote:
Thanks man, love it!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

That is one cool lookin' Jeep. Thanks for the pics. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”