Tommy GG 101

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
CANTHOK

Tommy GG 101

Post by CANTHOK »

NO he has not run out of counterfeit knives---Check out his latest tested Case on ebay.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Tommy GG 101

Post by btrwtr »

He has several bad knives listed.

A 3299 1/2 which he says is rare in stag. Correct since the knife should have yellow handles and not stag. Re-worked.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Case-XX ... SwIWZZfhtT

A completely fake 25 cent knife.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Case-Te ... Swr6RZpMyq

And this completely fake atrocity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Case-Te ... Sw1blZpNIn

Notice that he almost always starts his complete fakes at $1.99.

He also has a Marble's Ideal with a non-original butt cap listed. What a great guy!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MARBLES ... SwQoVZh6Zr
Attachments
3299.jpg
25 cent fake.jpg
atrocity.jpg
ideal butt cap.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well I swan ! How does he find these rare birds? ::td::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

gsmith7158 wrote:Well I swan ! How does he find these rare birds? ::td::
I haven't heard that expression since the older generation folk in my family passed away. It is a corruption of the original "I swear on it!"
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

tongueriver wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:Well I swan ! How does he find these rare birds? ::td::
I haven't heard that expression since the older generation folk in my family passed away. It is a corruption of the original "I swear on it!"
Cal my grandmother used that expression religously so to speak. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
OLD GAR

Post by OLD GAR »

I've no quarrel with the members here who are able to go way beyond my limited knowledge about fake or not fake knives on ebay or other sites. What I am puzzled about is the large number of people bidding on and buying these knives at astronomical prices. If this seller is so bogus, and members here are certain of the scam, there should be a way to expose him (her) and advise buyers of the scam.
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

OLD GAR wrote:I've no quarrel with the members here who are able to go way beyond my limited knowledge about fake or not fake knives on ebay or other sites. What I am puzzled about is the large number of people bidding on and buying these knives at astronomical prices. If this seller is so bogus, and members here are certain of the scam, there should be a way to expose him (her) and advise buyers of the scam.
I have reported so many of his listings to eBay as being counterfeit that I have lost count. I have yet to receive any kind of acknowledgement or response from eBay. Other members here have posted that they have messaged him directly pointing out his listings as being fakes. He bans them from communicating with him. I have given up. You're welcome to try if you want. It's obvious eBay does not care! :(

As for those who bid on his fakes, P.T. Barnum had something appropriate to say about that.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) One of Tommy GG 101's Best Customers :D
Attachments
j7epwd.jpg
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
CANTHOK

Post by CANTHOK »

I have gone so far as to inform WR Case's public relations dept. as to how these "fake" knives have caused some would be collectors to discontinue there hobby because they have been "scorched" by these scam artist. No help there......
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Although it may appear otherwise, the truth is Tommygg isn't in the business of selling vintage knives, he's selling false hopes & dreams to trusting but naive buyers. I, myself, was one of his victims a few years ago. Funny thing is, I was very happy with the knife I got from him as long as I believed it was genuine; after all, like they say, "ignorance is bliss." However, after I posted it here on AAPK and I learned it was not actually genuine (the knife was real, it just wasn't what it purported to be as far as provenance), suddenly I felt cheated and extremely disappointed; my little "dream bubble" had burst. I returned the knife and got a full refund. The same knife was then relisted and sold to another unsuspecting, trusting, naive buyer. The only way to stop people like tommygg from doing what he does (perpetrating fraud), is by not purchasing his products. Unfortunately, there will always be a steady supply of trusting, naive people who are willing and eager to hand over their hard earned money for the chance to make their dream a reality. And there will always be a steady supply of dishonest people like tommygg who are eager and willing to exploit their trust and take their money using fraud and deception for their own personal gain. Sometimes people laugh and joke about "pulling a rooskie" but when it happens to you and you're the fool who got rooskied, it's not much fun and certainly not funny.

~Q~
~Q~
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

QTCut5 wrote:Although it may appear otherwise, the truth is Tommygg isn't in the business of selling vintage knives, he's selling false hopes & dreams to trusting but naive buyers. I, myself, was one of his victims a few years ago. Funny thing is, I was very happy with the knife I got from him as long as I believed it was genuine; after all, like they say, "ignorance is bliss." However, after I posted it here on AAPK and I learned it was not actually genuine (the knife was real, it just wasn't what it purported to be as far as provenance), suddenly I felt cheated and extremely disappointed; my little "dream bubble" had burst. I returned the knife and got a full refund. The same knife was then relisted and sold to another unsuspecting, trusting, naive buyer. The only way to stop people like tommygg from doing what he does (perpetrating fraud), is by not purchasing his products. Unfortunately, there will always be a steady supply of trusting, naive people who are willing and eager to hand over their hard earned money for the chance to make their dream a reality. And there will always be a steady supply of dishonest people like tommygg who are eager and willing to exploit their trust and take their money using fraud and deception for their own personal gain. Sometimes people laugh and joke about "pulling a rooskie" but when it happens to you and you're the fool who got rooskied, it's not much fun and certainly not funny.

~Q~
Very well said Q!

Wayne

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I agree, we'll said.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Ever since Ebay put a stop to our ability to communicate with other members, even though we were not actively engaged in a transaction, our ability to warn bidders they were bidding on a fake knife became non-existent.

I know they had a good reason, as folks were making deals behind their backs and avoiding the fees, but I never did that, but I did, indeed, suggest withdrawal of bids many times. No one ever told me to mind my own business.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The Case fake 25 cent knife is currently up to $305.60 with 13 hours left in the sale.

I have reported this knife to eBay as a counterfeit and would like to ask others to do the same. Hate to see people duped by this seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142489989783?rmvSB=true

I also reported this knife as a counterfeit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142490003716?rmvSB=true

Wayne

supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

Ebay has no way of knowing that the opinion about authenticity from a complaint is any more valid than the lies from the faker. There's a LOT of inaccurate information on the web written by people who think they're right.

Also there's no way for Ebay to know that the complaint isn't just an attack from a competitor.

Manufacturers of antiques may not be around to complain. Those that are still around haven't shown any interest in going after the antique counterfeiters.

It all comes down to the buyer. The fakers aren't going to stop faking.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

What I wonder is, are the same buyers buying from him over and over? If they are they must have deep pockets.I have read that a lot of our members selling legitimate knives can't generate those kind of prices, that is what makes me wonder if he has a small buch of followers. ::shrug::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

It has been my experience that all attempts to report sellers for any infractions whatsoever elicit absolutely zero response. I have tried many times, everything from keyword spamming to counterfeiting. Nothing ever happens. I don't think that the mechanism even exists. It is just there to create an image of responsible oversight. Are the ebay listings in the millions or are they in the billions? I don't think Ebay could hire enough employees to take care of this problem. The only mechanism that is active is feedback, and I don't think I will buy a knife from Tommy in order to leave feedback. I have always been a consumer advocate but gradually I am understanding that there are no protections from predators (and it is getting worse) so I just concentrate on protecting Number One through experience and knowledge. Many decades ago, a person like Tommy would be 'taken care of.' Nowadays criminals and dirtbags pretty much run free, and even first degree murder generally results in short-term prison sentences.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

So, I posted a hubertus switchblade on eBay. It took them about 12 hrs to shut me down. I had no key words just said it "functioned properly". They even restricted Mr from buying or selling for about A week. I assume someone turned me in but i dont know. Them I got a bad email from eBay.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

espn77 wrote:So, I posted a hubertus switchblade on eBay. It took them about 12 hrs to shut me down. I had no key words just said it "functioned properly". They even restricted Mr from buying or selling for about A week. I assume someone turned me in but i dont know. Them I got a bad email from eBay.
Keith i had no idea you were a purveyor of such lethal weapons. I bet you've been carving up snail darters and chopping of the heads of desert tortoises with those instantaneous killing machines. ::poke:: ::poke::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
just bob

Post by just bob »

Only my 2 cents worth here. Ebay isn't going to do anything at all about counterfeit knives. This has been posted before but ebay is the agent and determining the authenticity of an item is up to the seller. Here is the agreement you read and check off on prior to selling. It Is no doubt stored on the cloud.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/compliant-listings.html

That being said there is a sure fire way to stop the counterfeiting. Ebay wants the community to police itself and not dedicate a lot of customer service resources to these type of issues and that's just what should happen. So long as sellers are selling spurious products and aren't getting bad feedback ebay assumes these sellers are Sunday school teachers. Feedback is an opinion and doesn't have to be based on fact. Ebay customer service will tell you they can not possibly be the arbitor of opinion. I get that - seller says great snap - buyer says weak snap. Who knows without examining the knife who is right. Then one person needs to step up and buy a Tommygg special. Keep it a few days and tell him you have had it examined it and it is a counterfeit and you want to return it. He has no choice but to take it back and give you a return. Once you have the return money back in your account leave him negative feedback and be sure to mention the word counterfeit in the comments - like - sold me a counterfeit knife. Again it is your opinion the knife is counterfeit and not a statement of fact. Just like he says a knife is authentic and genuine - that is his opinion. When it is seen one person has done this then another person step up and repeat the process. Again and again. In short order Ole' Tommy goes from Sunday school teacher to black sheep of the family and ebay starts to look at his feedback and why he is getting these comments. His regular buyers also start to examine the knives they are buying from him and get on the band wagon as well. It grows like a snowball rolling downhill. If Tommy wants to get with the program and stop his unethical selling then cut him some slack. You will no doubt be blocked from bidding on his items if you leave negative feedback so it will take a group. No need to make a pledge or sign a petition. One person start the process and then another pick up the cause. Within a few months we'll never have to read about Tommygg again. Of course the other side of the coin is people are buying these jacked up knives and are not leaving the man bad feedback. A certain part of the blade for this mess is on the buyers and not the sellers. They must be happy with their purchases?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here's part of the problem. People buying stuff like this from this seller.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1975-Case ... v=WATCHING
While they are not counterfeit and only rehandled there is no mention of that in the listing. People are not knowledgeable about the knives they are buying. And there are a bunch of them out there.
Attachments
$_1.JPG
$_1.JPG (41.78 KiB) Viewed 5309 times
$_1 (1).JPG
$_1 (1).JPG (44.27 KiB) Viewed 5309 times
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Gizmo1211

Post by Gizmo1211 »

I'd like to add my stupidity on this. I like to combine collect (example a Coca-Cola case xx knife, did great on that) but I bought a 1933 world's fair Disney design knife. Then I found an article about this "fantasy" knife...about the 70s someone started stamping Disney knives with World Fair on them..Even sent article to eBay, yet it's still filled with them. Oh well, didn't get soaked, and it still looks cool, but can only resale as a fake..but, I'll probably just keep it, if nothing else, it's still Disney. Silly I know...it's that impulse buying devil in my head lol!
Dang it! Now that I found this site, I see myself buying waaaaay too much! :wink:
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

espn77 wrote:So, I posted a hubertus switchblade on eBay. It took them about 12 hrs to shut me down. I had no key words just said it "functioned properly". They even restricted Mr from buying or selling for about A week. I assume someone turned me in but i dont know. Them I got a bad email from eBay.
I've rarely seen switchblade listings last long enough to be sold or the bidding to end, and most of them have no key words in the description either, much like yours.

If ebay can take switches down that efficiently, they can at least make an effort with counterfeits. Especially when it's reported by multiple people. But they won't.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
just bob

Post by just bob »

I was sitting at home minding my own business and got a call from ebay. They told me they had a problem with one of my listings. I asked and they said I failed to specify which type of handle material the knife had. I told them I didn't know. It was a Rough Rider made in China knife with white bone that I assume was water buffalo or camel? The caller said it didn't matter I had to specify the handle type or the listing would be taken down and gave me an hour to edit the listing. What I assume happened was that the knife had scrimshaw and someone brought it to eBay's attention as being ivory? Anyway I went to listing and put bovine bone and never heard anymore about it. For the record I have looked at many listings where the handle material is not specified, so they must have thought mine may have been ivory and were trying to clear themselves of any wrong doing. They can find a switchblade in a dark room with a candle and get overly concerned about a $25 China knife, but let sellers like Tommygg continue to steal hundreds of dollars from innocent buyers and not see the hypocrisy in their policies. Sad indeed.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
cbfd

Post by cbfd »

Just an idea,but maybe if these counterfeit knives were reported as being switchblades,Ebay would remove them. Bill

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”