KA-BAR Dogs Head

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

KA-BAR Dogs Head

Post by btrwtr »

I have seen too many of these knives stamped Winchester or KA-BAR. Look at the two pictures and you can see what this baby looked like when it was born. Not a very good fake but looks like someone likes it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-NY-Pocket-B ... Sw0j9ZTa5W
Attachments
KABAR Dogs Head Frost.jpg
Frost used for CF.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Re: KA-BAR Dogs Head

Post by kootenay joe »

The caps look to be of different length. In addition to the Challenger there a number of Japan made knives of this pattern from 1970-80's.
Does anyone have an original Kabar Swell Center dog head knife that could be posted for us to see what a real one looks like ?
kj
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

i don't know why but to me i can tell the difference between newer jigged bone and what they used to do. just a feeling you get when you have been collecting for a few.
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

When Jim Parker first started doing the Price Guide To Collectible Pocketknives, with a series of co-writers,he included a nice selection of Ka-Bar dog head shielded knives, which I always thought were probably his own.

I do not recall, nor can I check right now, that there was even that pattern included, which suggests Ka-Bar never made it.

Someone more knowledgeable of the brand will correct me if I'm wrong. They always do.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:When Jim Parker first started doing the Price Guide To Collectible Pocketknives, with a series of co-writers,he included a nice selection of Ka-Bar dog head shielded knives, which I always thought were probably his own.

I do not recall, nor can I check right now, that there was even that pattern included, which suggests Ka-Bar never made it.

Someone more knowledgeable of the brand will correct me if I'm wrong. They always do.

Charlie Noyes
Ka-Bar never made a pattern like this. Fantasy knife.

Wayne

peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Kabar/Union made a lever lock and a swing guard lock but not this kind.I concur with Charlie and Wayne.
Roger
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

When were the original Kabar 'Dogs Head' knives made ? 1930's ?
Did Kabar re-introduce the "Dogs Head" knives more recently, maybe 1980's ?
Or, are all recent Kabar marked Dogs Head knives, fakes ?
kj
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Roland,
I have had a few of the newer dogs head Ka-bar knives. I never considered them fakes but I am not sure who made them, maybe Bear & Son?

Tom
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

o.k., so sold(marketed) by Kabar (Cole National) but might have been made on contract, but still a legitimate Kabar Dogs Head knife.
Am i correct that o.p. knife is not one of these, but is likely a Parker knife made by 'who knows' ? And likely there are other fake Dog Head patterns out there ?
Is there a list of the patterns Kabar produced for the newer Dogs Head knives ? If so it would help differentiate the legit from the fakes.
kj
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I'm not too familiar with new knives but the newer dog's heads (1980's) I have seen were club knives with the last to digits of the year stamped on the tangs. Good quality knives. There are also more recent models out that don't appear to be the same of the same higher quality.

The OP knife is not one of these. It is a fantasy knife.

Wayne

peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I believe there were some newer ones made by Canal Street. Most if not all had copper bolsters.
Roger
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

peanut740 wrote:I believe there were some newer ones made by Canal Street. Most if not all had copper bolsters.
Roger, I believe this is an example Ka-Bar dogs head with copper bolsters (and dogs head) made by Canal Street to which you are referring.
Attachments
Ka-Bar Dogs Head by Canal Street with Copper Bolsters
Ka-Bar Dogs Head by Canal Street with Copper Bolsters
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

KA-BAR re-introduced the Dog's Head models in (I believe)1976 with their release of the Bicentennial Trapper with red white and blue layered plastic handles. The following year they introduced a limited edition set of single and two blade folding hunters(serial numbered)with stag handles and match striker nail marks. To differentiate them from the older ones there was a date(11/77 stamped on the rear of the master blade. They also released some un-numbered models(I have one of the two blade ones). At some later date they issued them in the Collector's Club series.
The picture I am posting shows the re-issue above an original model. One very noticeable feature is the shape of the dog's head;considerably different from the original.
Attachments
KABARFoldingHunters5 1.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ray did Kabar only make the 3 patterns you mention for the re-issue of the Dogs Head knives ? (trapper, FH single blade & FH 2 blade)
kj
Edit: i just found a Kabar 1985 barlow with a gold Dogs Head shield:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ka-Bar-USA-Olea ... 1438.l2649
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote:Ray did Kabar only make the 3 patterns you mention for the re-issue of the Dogs Head knives ? (trapper, FH single blade & FH 2 blade)
kj
Edit: i just found a Kabar 1985 barlow with a gold Dogs Head shield:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ka-Bar-USA-Olea ... 1438.l2649
Roland:I'm not exactly sure how many patterns they made with the Dog's Head shield. I only remember seeing the Bicentennial trapper and the two folding hunters. The barlow I believe was made for the KA-BAR Collector's club. I don't really research newer knives unless I buy one.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here's a group of reproductions or club knives.
Asst Dogshead.jpg
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Good info Ray. Thank you.
kj
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I have these three Dog head Barlows. The yellow ones were 100 year commemorative Barlows in a single blade and a 2 blade. The Copper Smith Barlow was purchased from Ka-Bar about 1 or 2 years ago.
IMGP0225.JPG

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”