Restored: Not Counterfeit!! American Knife & Shear

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
ratlesnake75

Restored: Not Counterfeit!! American Knife & Shear

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys,,,Found this very interesting on ebay and super fast turnaround. Guy is a Genius in Knife Restoration in my humble opinion. Both small blades were replaced with original ones from another knife. Please look very closely at the handles and the chipping along the liners,,unmistakable to me
Kind Regards,
Mark

Bought knife here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-POCKET- ... 7675.l2557

Sold knife here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-AMERICAN-SH ... 7675.l2557

If the pictures are not enough to go by,,,You can see who bought the knife((and the feedback attached to the buyer for reference)). Same guy bought the knife and then Resold it,,,,After having Restored it. I have seen this for MANY years by this Seller but thought it was very appropriate on this particular piece to Post it here on aapk. I can also attain to the blurry pics I feel are done on purpose too. Its a shame to the knife Community and I dont buy from him UNTIL he can be HONEST in what he does. I have NO Problem at ALL with "Properly Restored" knives like this,,,BUT,,, at minimum at least share with the Knife community EXACTLY what has been done to the knife,,,instead of trying to deceive. Your knives would fetch FAR More money if folks knew you were this good at "Proper Restoration". This guy has a "Talent" for not only Killer Rare knives but he can fix anything.
Thx Mark
Attachments
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
zp4ja

Re: Restored: Not Counterfeit!! American Knife & Shear

Post by zp4ja »

Hi Mark,

Having not divulged "repaired" and based on your findings, I personally consider that a "cobbled" knife.

Anything for an extra buck while slowly selling your soul by lack of honest disclosure and being too stupid to realize that.

My 2 cents.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Jerry, You have me laughing!!
Kind Regards
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

ratlesnake75 wrote:Hey Jerry, You have me laughing!!
Kind Regards
Mark
Well I was waffling for about a millisecond between stupid and ignorant but really don't care about PC much. Call it as I see it. Went with stupid.

Given the world today I expect a multi million dollar lawsuit based on my opinion herein to include demands of "safe places" (whatever the hell that means), grief counselors and demanded respect for fake knife mechanics and undisclosed "professional cobbling". I must undergo mandatory diversity training AKA "(attempted in my case) brainwashing ". After all, it is all our fault. They can ram it. You know, Dodge Ram, like the slogan.

And that was sugar coated for forum respect.

Really despise this in our hobby in case you can't tell.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Some good detective work Mark.

Looking at some of his recent past sales I see several knives that have been obviously cobbled and reworked. Most notably a Catt alligator jaw wrench knife that sold for over $500 that has a completely wrong master blade installed. Also a NYK whittler with patched handles (not disclosed), a Catt 4 blade senator with unmarked master and a Robeson jack with a changed and incorrect #626284 master blade. Not a good average.

I wouldn't consider the OP knife properly restored given the blade configuration has been changed from original. No file blade and the blade kicks are different so not restored with the correct blades. There is a fine line between restoring and counterfeiting knives but not disclosing the changes made on the knife crosses another line as well.

It seems to me that every day I see more counterfeit and cobbled knives for sale on eBay. As long as people are buying these knives they will continue to crawl out of the woodwork.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Okay so let me see if I get this straight:

The OP knife has been brought back to a state in which it performs like a pocket knife should, however, the blades are not from another knife just like it, and it is not brought back to it's original configuration. Is this correct?

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I think you pretty much summed it up. Restored to working condition maybe but not to an original configuration since different type parts from different knives were used.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Wayne, I COMPLETELY agree with you Sir on the different blade configuration. The knife needed a File blade to bring it back to "Properly Restored" but finding that file blade would be a difficult task huh,,,,So he really should have waited to find a file blade to restore it correctly instead of cobbling it together. There is no doubt, this is the very FINE LINE between "Properly Restored" and "Cobbled together". Nevertheless, All this info should have been Noted in the description and if he was to say,,(((Hey guys,,,I couldn't find a file blade so I had no other choice but to use a pen blade,,So we can still enjoy "Using" the knife as a whole))). I think all would have been Well and Respected. You and I both know though,,, that is NOT HIS INTENTIONS!!!
Kind Regards,
Mark
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

" All this info should have been Noted in the description and if he was to say,,(((Hey guys,,,I couldn't find a file blade so I had no other choice but to use a pen blade,,So we can still enjoy "Using" the knife as a whole))). I think all would have been Well and Respected"

I agree with you Mark. I think some people may still buy it if he said that, but probably not at the price he gets for not saying it.
Does not do the knife world good. Sad
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Bob

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”