Russell Barlow

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

Russell Barlow

Post by just bob »

I like the stag on this knife. It sure looks nice. If you look at the blade you can see it doesn't have a nail pull. I have looked at all of the other daddy Barlow Russell's I have and that are on ebay current and completed and don't see another one w/o a nail pull. There is also a bevel on the top edge of this blade that seems way out of place as well. Is this a fixed blade that was machined to fit this folding knife? How else would one w/o a pull end up in the knife? Seems like way too nice of a frame to junk it up with a suspect blade?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Russell-Dad ... SwIWVZANIc
Attachments
yyyyy .jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
buddyie22

Re: Russell Barlow

Post by buddyie22 »

Question //As you know there are a few fake Russell's out there. Please understand I'm not saying this one is a fake just trying to follow some of the guide lines I'm learning from our members through the many post that are available on the Russell Barlow. Here is what I see.... #1 The center pin is not at the center of the handle. #2 The arrow head on the bolister does not appear to line up with the bolister pin. #3. And as is has been stated the absent of the nail nick. #4 The arrow feathers on the bolister are not clear and defined. Please straighten me out if I'm reading he knife incorrectly. I appreciate the help. :roll:
Honey do you have your pocket knife ? Do I have my pants on?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Some people like it. It is over $250 with 30 hours left in auction.
Looks fake to me.
kj
just bob

Post by just bob »

You can see in this picture that the center pin is forward on a lockback Russell knife. Also these fish scaler knives do not have a nail pull so maybe the knife in the op was a fish scaler that was damaged and the scaling portion removed from the blade and that is why that area is beveled. My comment about the Russell's having nail pulls in the op was in reference to the regular knives and not the fish scalers.
I suppose if this were a straight knife it might go for near $400 - $500. Stag is rare on these. Maybe someone has a good blade for it and is buying the frame?
Attachments
rb1.jpg

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

In the past I had read alot about Russell Barlows (before I pulled the trigger on a "Standard and Daddy" a few years back and their attributes (which maybe in a post here by somebody but definitely a long thread on the BF site with much detail and photos) which buddyie22 pointed out in brief... however many of those attributes if I remember right were more related to the standard barlow and don't quite remember those for the Daddy barlow... good points as well "just bob" on perhaps the knife being cobbled from a fish blade... only other thing to really add is that Russell barlows made in Germany were more along the lines that buddyie22 pointed out regarding pin placements and bolster stamping compared to those made in MA... My opinion and 2 cents: I would not be comfortable buying that knife... maybe a fellow AAPk member who has way more experience with barlows and especially Russell will be along...

Post by robinetn »

From Ferguson's 1978 ed. of "ROMANCE of COLLECTING" (Cattaraugus,Robeson,Russell and Queen knives) page no. 121 .
Attachments
DSCN2455.JPG
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks for posting that catalog cut Bob ::tu:: ... nothing like old catalog cuts to nail down certain knives as fake or real (though the pin in the bolster is not clear in the cut certainly the handle pins, thread in bolster and blade including stag handle no doubt match so I would be less concerned with pivot pin as all else looks right), and your cut reminded me that I should have looked at my Russell book ::dang:: ... it certainly looks to be genuine to me now 8) so good luck to anybody bidding on it (which won't be me fellas) ... as an aside when I have interest in a knife that I am not familiar with I usually do my homework before bidding as I don't have the wallet to waste money - probably pertains to most of us - nobody likes to waste money...

Post by just bob »

Thank you for posting that. It sure answers the questions on the knife. I had this same book and loaned it to a guy at the knife club that has early onset Alzheimer's. I'll probably never see my book again and that's ok. I'll just find another one.

Darrellt

Post by Darrellt »

buddyie22 wrote:Question //As you know there are a few fake Russell's out there. Please understand I'm not saying this one is a fake just trying to follow some of the guide lines I'm learning from our members through the many post that are available on the Russell Barlow. Here is what I see.... #1 The center pin is not at the center of the handle. #2 The arrow head on the bolister does not appear to line up with the bolister pin. #3. And as is has been stated the absent of the nail nick. #4 The arrow feathers on the bolister are not clear and defined. Please straighten me out if I'm reading he knife incorrectly. I appreciate the help. :roll:
I agree that this is not a real Russell as like you said , one of the first clues in the middle pin not entered .
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Darrellt I wouldn't base the legitimacy of the knife, or any knife, on whether the bolster pin was centered. many knives, especially larger knives with narrow bolsters but heavy springs, have the pin off center. It gave the maker more room at the tang to cradle the spring when the blade was open, and helped with walk and talk and spring flex.

I personally think the knife is legit, albeit quite buffed. Especially based on those catalog cuts.

Eric

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”