Old Case Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

Old Case Knife

Post by just bob »

Just a question on this. Not implying the seller is doing anything wrong. Isn't this a Case tested blade in an XX frame? I'm going by the C on the shield. Rather obvious this blade has been put into this frame if you look at the bolster.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-Tested-XX- ... Sw03lY5WRs
Attachments
wwwww .jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
olderdogs1

Re: Old Case Knife

Post by olderdogs1 »

Bob,
It looks ok to me as far as the shield goes. Tested Shields have the closed C as this one has. Actually some Tested knives have the XX shield as well which is acceptable. Looks like it has been worked on for sure but I don't see anything incorrect. Looks like a 61049sab to me, should be 4 1/16" closed.

Tom
just bob

Post by just bob »

Tom thanks for the info. I was just told over the weekend that more times than not on tested green bone the C on the shield will look like the end of a football and on the XX green bone the C looks more like a regular C - is that not true? Funny how so many people have so many theories on determining the authenticity of a knife. Who knows what is right?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

looks as if it has been taken apart, but the rest looks to be CASE parts, and era accurate. The blade almost looks like it could have came from a large/medium tested toothpick.
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

as far as shields,

the Closed C was in the tested era, not Uncommon to see in the XX era.

the Jagged blocked shield was used in the tested era (hard to describe without a pic) which I would say is less common in the xx era, personally don't own any nor recall seeing any, but possible I bet.

The XX era tall S shield is less-common in the Tested era (in my opinion) but not to the point where its scarce. Seems I see more circle C in the xx era than the other way around, then again, I collect lots of rough black and green bone which were earlier in the xx era, so my judgment/experience might be clouded.

the USA era shield is UNCOMMON in the XX era (I get worried when I see this). I have 50 or so XX era, 10 or so with Circle C and most with the tall S, none have the FAT S from the USA era.

**** the above is just my opinion and what I've experienced, not by any means law or anything to swear by.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

XxTestedxX wrote:looks as if it has been taken apart, but the rest looks to be CASE parts, and era accurate. The blade almost looks like it could have came from a large/medium tested toothpick.
I'm with you on this one Zach. That blade doesn't look right for the frame. Toothpick or 11 1/2 blade maybe. ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

just bob wrote:Tom thanks for the info. I was just told over the weekend that more times than not on tested green bone the C on the shield will look like the end of a football and on the XX green bone the C looks more like a regular C - is that not true? Funny how so many people have so many theories on determining the authenticity of a knife. Who knows what is right?
Bob,
Here is a picture of a Tested 61048 that I own, note the similar shields. The 049 is very much like the 048. With the 049 you will find the end bolster and the saber blade that the OP knife has. By no means am I saying I like the OP knife, only that it does appear to have parts that are correct for the period. Hope this is not too confusing.

Tom
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
just bob

Post by just bob »

This isn't confusing at all ??? Is part of the reason for the variety of shields due to outsourcing by Case? Other companies may have made their own Case shields or is it in house changes by Case?

Here is a folding hunter. Without seeing the blades and just going by the shield is it tested or xx ?
Attachments
xxxxx.jpg

RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Based on shield alone, all that can be said for this knife is that it is either Tested XX (1920-1940) or XX (1940-1964). If it were a Bomb shield, for example, that would eliminate XX (1940-1964).

Here is a good AAPK reference for Case Shields:

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/co ... x-shields/
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

The open C appears to have the points or dog ears on the ends. I say tested.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Steve "knifaholic" has a good section on shields in his books on "Collecting Case Knives". They are a good read and very informative. ::tu::

Tom
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The blade for the OP knife looks right to me - it is a different blade shape than the 048 blade and has a saber rather than flat grind.

As others have said, open C, closed C, and block letter shields are all correct for the Tested era. For some reason the open C is fairly common on the 65 and 050 patterns. If you see a Tested with a USA shield, RUN.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

My opinion is that the knife has been crudely re-pinned (the blade), but is correct otherwise.
Gary
Listen with your eyes, it's the only way you can believe what you hear.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”