Case & Sons Tang Stamp

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
BBley

Case & Sons Tang Stamp

Post by BBley »

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/aWYAAOSws ... -l1600.jpg

Does this Case & Sons stamp look right to you guys?
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case & Sons Tang Stamp

Post by btrwtr »

Terrible fake IMO.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
BBley

Post by BBley »

btrwtr wrote:Terrible fake IMO.
Walk me thru your thinking on this one... I'd like to hear your thoughts. It is a current auction, eBay item number: 232292020596

I found a Case & Sons tang stamp that looked similar, but the real stamp didn't have a comma behind the Bradford nor was the Bradford somewhat indented on both ends like the original. Also noticed the waviness where the bolster and scales meet.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I am not one to take much time analyzing tang stamps and normally if a knife is fake there are other indicators that will show before examining the stamp.

From looking at the picture you provided:

I would not expect to see that type of bolster on an old Case knife with any type of tang stamp.

The long pull on the master blade extending well into the tang is not a good sign.

It is not unheard of but also not the norm for the pen blade to be in front of the master blade on Case branded 2 blade jack knives.

From looking at the auction site the pull on the pen blade looks to be excessively large. The knife appears to be of European manufacture.

The tang stamp itself is a terrible fake. Rounded letters and the impression of the stamp block is showing on both stamps. The master stamp is double struck.

Looking at the sellers other knives he also has a terrible re-handled R6893 Remington. Many times sellers that are offering fakes or adulterated knives will have more than one for sale. Not to say that this seller knows they are bad knives but that they are in my opinion.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
BBley

Post by BBley »

btrwtr wrote:I am not one to take much time analyzing tang stamps and normally if a knife is fake there are other indicators that will show before examining the stamp.

From looking at the picture you provided:

I would not expect to see that type of bolster on an old Case knife with any type of tang stamp.

The long pull on the master blade extending well into the tang is not a good sign.

It is not unheard of but also not the norm for the pen blade to be in front of the master blade on Case braded 2 blade jack knives.

From looking at the auction site the pull on the pen blade looks to be excessively large. The knife appears to be of European manufacture.

The tang stamp itself is a terrible fake. Rounded letters and the impression of the stamp block is showing on both stamps. The master stamp is double struck.

Looking at the sellers other knives he also has a terrible re-handled R6893 Remington. Many times sellers that are offering fakes or adulterated knives will have more than one for sale. Not to say that this seller knows they are bad knives but that they are in my opinion.
Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to teach me that. I had a gut it looked funny but not the knowledge to back it up.
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Wayne is right. Terrible Fake. "When in doubt do without " ::tu:: ::tu::

Larry
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

BBley wrote:http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/aWYAAOSws ... -l1600.jpg

Does this Case & Sons stamp look right to you guys?
I'm looking at the stamp on my phone. Usually I prefer to look at it on my lap top. No need for that here. Fake!!
Listen with your eyes, it's the only way you can believe what you hear.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”