1914 Case tested Dogleg Gold Glitter

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Treejakal

1914 Case tested Dogleg Gold Glitter

Post by Treejakal »

I collect case stag from 1940-1980 and normally don't look at a plastic handled knife, but thought I would take a chance on this one.
I have concerns however.
1st- I don't have any knowledge when it comes to these older knives.
2nd - This looked too good to be true ( you know what they say about that).
3rd- three tang stamps seemed to me excessive for a 100 year old knife.

I would appreciate any feedback you have on the authenticity of this knife.
I have read in other posts about knives "gassing" do I need to worry about that with this knife and should I keep it away from my stags?
Any value range or ideas where I can obtain value?
Attachments
DSC03001.JPG
DSC03003.JPG
DSC03004.JPG
DSC03006.JPG
jlw257

Re: 1914 Case tested Dogleg Gold Glitter

Post by jlw257 »

Don't know much about the patten. If I were a betting guy I would bet Fake ::td::

Larry
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

That's a complete fake, made out of a new stainless steel off-brand knife.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

Dam, I knew it looked too good. Steve, how can you tell its stainless steel?
Good news is that I should be able to get my $ back.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

knifeaholic wrote:That's a complete fake, made out of a new stainless steel off-brand knife.
Afraid so.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

knifeaholic wrote:That's a complete fake, made out of a new stainless steel off-brand knife.
the few I have seen pop up on ebay that weren't made from Utica parts appeared to be made from frost knives
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

This reminds me exactly of a Rough Rider (Chinese made, SMKW house brand) I saw at Magic Mart recently.
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Your 3rd reason isn't correct. It's not uncommon to find multiple tang stamps on older Case knives, including pattern numbers etc. and including a stamp on front and back, it's the more modern ones that have less stamps (e.g. Case/Tested XX or Case/XX). As a matter of fact I would be wary of an older Case knife that DIDN'T have multiple tang stamps.

Many older manufacturers used a stamp on every blade and etched them to boot. Case is one of the minority that used only one stamp and practically never etched a blade (with the exception of a spey). That seems to me to be one of the reasons people "professionally" clean Case knives and pass them off for mint or near mint, there's no etch to worry about duplicating or to have to answer questions about.

JMO
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

What msteele said is true - however;

You will NEVER see an authentic Case Brothers knife with the CASE TESTED XX in a circle stamp on any blade. That stamp was only used by WR Case & Sons, and only after Case Brothers went under and WR Case & Sons acquired the Tested XX trademark.

A further note - does not apply to this knife but applies to a lot of fakes - is that Case Brothers never used any shield that had CASE on it.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

knifeaholic wrote:What msteele said is true - however;

You will NEVER see an authentic Case Brothers knife with the CASE TESTED XX in a circle stamp on any blade. That stamp was only used by WR Case & Sons, and only after Case Brothers went under and WR Case & Sons acquired the Tested XX trademark.
In my experience the "CASE XX in a circle" stamp is most prevalent on Case Bradford, and early Case Tested knives. These were both WR Case & Sons owned, but the knives were not stamped "WR Case & Sons" as earlier pre-Case Bradford knives were stamped. Were any WR Case & Sons stamped knives also stamped with Case Tested XX?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
knifeaholic wrote:What msteele said is true - however;

In my experience the "CASE XX in a circle" stamp is most prevalent on Case Bradford, and early Case Tested knives. These were both WR Case & Sons owned, but the knives were not stamped "WR Case & Sons" as earlier pre-Case Bradford knives were stamped. Were any WR Case & Sons stamped knives also stamped with Case Tested XX?

Ken
Ken; excellent question!! Wish I could answer it. Maybe someone will have some examples of knives so marked, maybe not.

I tend to think that the CASE XX in a circle stamp will not be found on the old WR Case stamped knives, but I am not certain.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”