Interesting Theory

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

Interesting Theory

Post by just bob »

At least according to this seller these are not counterfeit, but folk art. Kind of a unique take on things. Sheds a new light on the effforts of Tommygg?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reworked-Knife- ... SwuxFYsiJT
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Interesting Theory

Post by TripleF »

He says they're reworked.....just like I say about mine: SAVED, RESTORED.

Same difference. Not misleading in any way.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

This seller is really explicit about what he's selling. In no way shape or form comes close to being considered counterfeit goods. In a way, this is much like what H. Williams(electra_225) is doing, just not near as artistic and beautiful as a Williams knife.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I have no problem with this guy's listing but what will the next guy post when he sells them? ::shrug:: It would be nice if they ended up as users but that's probably asking too much. In 10 years we'll be posting about them in the Counterfeit thread. ::facepalm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I don't think that he had much of a choice but to come up with an interesting theory in order to sell those three. But are they really folk art, or just the training tools of a future counterfeiter?
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Seems like an honest straight up guy. No problem at all here. I hope he sells a bunch.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

gsmith7158 wrote:I don't think that he had much of a choice but to come up with an interesting theory in order to sell those three. But are they really folk art, or just the training tools of a future counterfeiter?
Or a future Jim-dandy knife mechanic.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

jerryd6818 wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:I don't think that he had much of a choice but to come up with an interesting theory in order to sell those three. But are they really folk art, or just the training tools of a future counterfeiter?
Or a future Jim-dandy knife mechanic.
Well, there we have it. The age old battle between good and evil ! ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
just bob

Post by just bob »

I'm sorry but I think the posts here have drifted away from the intended thought. No one said the seller was doing anything improper or was trying to deceive bidders. What he is saying is that the act of putting a Case blade in a Schrade frame is creating folk art. ABSURD !

"What  ever they do the result is a unique creation that is a true piece of folk art."

There are folk art festivals throughout the country and even museums. Go visit them until your feet are so sore you can't walk anymore. You won't find a 1955 Chevy with a 1956 Ford motor - that's not folk art. You won't find a washing machine with a lawn mower motor - that's not folk art. You won't find a covered wagon with rubber wheels - that's not folk art. Look as hard as you may you won't find a Case knife with a Schrade blade - that's just not folk art and it is absurd to put an item like that into a category where talented artisans have spent a lifetime perfecting a craft. It's like comparing apples to oranges. A whole different ball game.

Not about the way the items are posted on ebay at all. This is an obvious honest person. It's about the way the knife was created and calling that process "folk art" Sorry I'm not buying any of that. It's a repaired knife and if he would have left things at that I would have no problem at all with his listing. I apologize for the confusion my o p created. I should have been clearer. That's why the o p was titled "Interesting Theory" It's interesting the seller terms his repaired knives as "folk art" I don't think I have ever seen that before.

As an aside at one time I did see an old knife with a broken blade and years ago someone had taken a broken file and worked it down to make a replacement blade for the knife. I'm not even sure if that would qualify as true "folk art" but I've always kicked myself for not buying that knife. The amount of time the person put into it far exceeded its value and I would have been proud to own it. Not the same thoughts at all on a Case knife with a Schrade blade - the woods are full of them.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I agree with Just Bob; just because something is made or repaired at home don't make it art, folk or otherwise. If that was the case I could charge people to look at the fence Mary Jo and I built.
Bruce

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”