Almost as fun as collecting

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Hoistman

Almost as fun as collecting

Post by Hoistman »

It is amazing the amount of fakes I see on e-bay now that I am learning what to look for. It is absolutely a shame. Used to be a person would be able to get away with not having to worry about it if it was not that expensive of a knife. Seems as though that theory does not even hold water anymore. If there is a dollar to be made, there will be someone willing to cheat you out of it. It becomes really tricky is when people assemble knives out of genuine parts. I am starting to believe just finding a authentic knife is a victory. With all the crooks out there spotting fakes may just become just as fun as collecting.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Almost as fun as collecting

Post by bestgear »

I collect Humason & Beckley and Landers, Frary & Clark for many reasons but one of them is that they are rarely if ever counterfeit. Every now and then I'll run across one that has been disassembled leaving me to wonder why but for the most part every one I find is genuine.

Now the Official Scout knives that I collect, that's a horse of a different color all together.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

We need to somehow get these people to become honest knife mechanics. There are a lot
of broken knives out there that could be fixed and brought back to a good life.

Owning a 40 or 50 year old knife that was repaired and in good shape would be just
as good if not better to own than a 2017 knife.

Bob
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Hoistman wrote:It is amazing the amount of fakes I see on e-bay now that I am learning what to look for. It is absolutely a shame. Used to be a person would be able to get away with not having to worry about it if it was not that expensive of a knife. Seems as though that theory does not even hold water anymore. If there is a dollar to be made, there will be someone willing to cheat you out of it. It becomes really tricky is when people assemble knives out of genuine parts. I am starting to believe just finding a authentic knife is a victory. With all the crooks out there spotting fakes may just become just as fun as collecting.
Hoistman - Welcome to the forum!

Sometimes when I see a good fake I wonder why the guy does not just make or repair knives honestly instead of making fakes. I am not aware that I have ever bought a fake, but that could be because I am not expert enough to recognize the fakery. More likely it is because I almost never buy an expensive knife (I consider $80 expensive!).

I used to be a birder, and there are occasions when even expert birders cannot positively identify a species. It seems to be a similar with knives - if I remember correctly there have been one or two posted on this forum that puzzled the experts. So I just buy what I like and do not worry about authenticity. If I were spending a lot of money I might feel differently.
Mel

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”