REMINGTON R1173

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
olderdogs1

REMINGTON R1173

Post by olderdogs1 »

Got this one in a collection. Remington is not my area of expertise. I am posting this one to get opinions from the folks who know Remington. The blades look ok although as I said, not my area. Handles look two new to me. Pins are peened on handles. Shield is pinned as well. Opinions please. Not going to sell it of course if it is counterfeit which I suspect it is.

Tom
Attachments
441.JPG
451.JPG
456.JPG
460.JPG
464.JPG
Bamarick

Re: REMINGTON R1173

Post by Bamarick »

I'm not a Remington expert either, but I do own several older ones and have handled quite a few more over the years. I'd say you're correct in your assessment. It looks to have been re-handled at the least.
Ricky
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

TOM.. can ya add a bullet pic shot from straight ON . . looks a lill short but
the pic provided may be distorting it

gimme a HET PIC !!
::rotflol::
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Bone looks too red and really crisp for the amount of wear on the blades and pitting on the tangs.
Roger
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

I agree Roger, handles are way to crisp for the wear on the blades. If it was just rehandled I could deal with that, wouldn't kill the knife, frame itself shows some age, some pitting on the backsprings, not bad.
Dave, here is a shot of the shield straight on.

Tom
Attachments
533.JPG
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

thnx.. TOM... i dont like that sheild . .
the 3 lines are jus TOO CRISP..

HET
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Can't say there is much about it that I like. Lanyard ring looks too big. Bone color looks like KA-BAR. Looks like some welding going on. Pins don't have the domed look I would expect to see. Angle cut on the end of the bolsters is not as angular as I would expect.

Tom is this supposed to be a baby bullet? What is the length closed?
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Wayne,
Closed length is 3 1/2". Where do you see evidence ofwelding Wayne? According to the book it is supposed to be a baby bullet with brown bone. Houston price & Mark Zalesky.

Tom
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Tom the areas of the blade at the tang junction look strange. A lot of irregular steel with no sign of corrosion. Certainly not an expert on detecting welds but it doesn't look right to me. Could be just cleaning/resurfacing of the blades.

Like you pointed out the thing that is most suspect is the bone. The color and jigging looks just like some of the older KA-BAR stuff. Too much red and not enough brown for Remington IMO.

Here is the bone I'm talking about. The one piece has the color ground from the edge at the end and the red shows more.
Attachments
IMG_4170[1].JPG
IMG_4171[1].JPG

Wayne

olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Thanks, Wayne,
Are both pieces if bone Ka-bar or is the top one Remington?. I don't believe the blades have been welded but not an expert on this either. At any rate I don't believe the handles are original to the knife. I was wondering if perhaps this was a Remington reproduction that had the older blades installed?

Tom
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Tom Both pieces are the same but just different taking of the dye. I got this bone many years ago from the KA-BAR factory rep. DIck Sturm. I think they used it on some of the KA-BAR Collectors Club knives.

Wayne

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Here is an AAPK post with a real R1173. I've never owned one but I have had the chance to take a close look at one I considered authentic and near mint. There are some differences between the OP knife and this previous R1173 AAPK post.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 73#p392886

Wayne

olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

I can see some differences, particularly in the bone and pins.

I think I will take this one to sevierville next weekend and let some folks evaluate it there as well. Thanks for posting that link Wayne. Wish you were coming to the show.

Tom
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Mel said in his original little book closed 3 1/4" I just looked.

Harold
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Poor Ole TOM . ..
gits kicked in the belly every trip in here.. LOLOL

I feel for ya buddy

HET
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Thanks, Harold , Price and Zalesky say 3 1/2", I am always kind of surprised at the books. Sargents books have one of the measurements different than known authentic examples actually are. I have always wondered how they got the measurements they did. Not saying which is correct in this case because I sure don't know.

Tom
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Tom I don't know myself. I figured you had already look the length up trying to check your example out. There many
errors in the books, even a dummy like me has found a few. It is still fun trying to figure this stuff out.

Harold
J K WATSON

Post by J K WATSON »

btrwtr wrote:Here is an AAPK post with a real R1173. I've never owned one but I have had the chance to take a close look at one I considered authentic and near mint. There are some differences between the OP knife and this previous R1173 AAPK post.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 73#p392886
MrBlister wrote:TOM.. can ya add a bullet pic shot from straight ON . . looks a lill short but
the pic provided may be distorting it

gimme a HET PIC !!
::rotflol::

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”