Fake Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Maddogfl

Fake Knife

Post by Maddogfl »

Here is a nice Hubectus a while back from Ebay. I knew when I bought it that it was not real, but at $8.00, I was willing to take a closer look at it. It is actually a pretty well made fake, not good German made fake, but good for a Chinese made fake. The seller was clever and didn't call out the brand name but gave just enough closeup of the logo to draw in the unsuspecting. As you can see, with better photos than the listing, showed it is pretty clear that it is a long way from the real deal.
Attachments
DSCN7395.JPG
DSCN7399.JPG
DSCN7400.JPG
DSCN7403.JPG
samb1955

Re: A Suggestion For Those Who Post In The Counterfeit Forum

Post by samb1955 »

Pretty nice for $8 fake or not.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Fake Knife

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

On the other hand, by buying these fakes you are financing the next batch, and enabling the scammers who sell them.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Maddogfl wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:28 pm Here is a nice Hubectus a while back from Ebay. I knew when I bought it that it was not real, but at $8.00, I was willing to take a closer look at it. It is actually a pretty well made fake, not good German made fake, but good for a Chinese made fake. The seller was clever and didn't call out the brand name but gave just enough closeup of the logo to draw in the unsuspecting. As you can see, with better photos than the listing, showed it is pretty clear that it is a long way from the real deal.
Hey Maddog! For future reference, you can usually spot a cloned leverlock by the screw in the metal plate that runs down the front handle of the knife. On the genuine article they have a fixed rivet, not a screw. Also, the letter that you think is a "c" is actually the same "r" that Hubertus uses, it's just that the underlining on the fake is lower down from the letters than on a genuine Hubertus, so it appears to be a "c". Great knife for "click therapy"! 8)
8)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Just FYI, the OP is from 2019. The member hasn’t logged in to AAPK in a couple of years.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Yah, thanks Ken! ::handshake:: I just noticed that AFTER I posted! I was checking "Active Topics" and it was in there because O.C. had posted earlier today, but I failed to see when the O.P. was from. DUH! 8)
8)
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:58 am Yah, thanks Ken! ::handshake:: I just noticed that AFTER I posted! I was checking "Active Topics" and it was in there because O.C. had posted earlier today, but I failed to see when the O.P. was from. DUH! 8)
I'm glad you did post. I didn't know about the screw and rivet.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Just to clarify, I’m sure you didn’t take it that way but I wasn’t complaining about your post Mark, just trying to say you’re unlikely to get a response from the OP. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

edge213 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:00 am
Madmarco wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:58 am Yah, thanks Ken! ::handshake:: I just noticed that AFTER I posted! I was checking "Active Topics" and it was in there because O.C. had posted earlier today, but I failed to see when the O.P. was from. DUH! 8)
I'm glad you did post. I didn't know about the screw and rivet.
Happy to pass along any new info I come across Edge. ::handshake:: I got that info from a site in Europe, although I can't remember the name of it right now, and after reading the information I wanted to see for myself, so I started to check ALL leverlocks, and sure enough, EVERY clone, copy, or down right counterfeit had a screw, and any that I know for sure are genuine had a fixed rivet, so it turned out to be accurate information. It's nice to know there's a reliable method of weeding out the phonies so we don't get stuck with them. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:03 am Just to clarify, I’m sure you didn’t take it that way but I wasn’t complaining about your post Mark, just trying to say you’re unlikely to get a response from the OP. ::tu::

Ken
No problem and no clarification needed Ken, I knew you were only trying to be helpful. ::handshake:: Thanks! 8)
8)
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:03 am Just to clarify, I’m sure you didn’t take it that way but I wasn’t complaining about your post Mark, just trying to say you’re unlikely to get a response from the OP. ::tu::

Ken
Heh,he,he. He is going to get a response! ;)
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:44 am
Maddogfl wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:28 pm Here is a nice Hubectus a while back from Ebay. I knew when I bought it that it was not real, but at $8.00, I was willing to take a closer look at it. It is actually a pretty well made fake, not good German made fake, but good for a Chinese made fake. The seller was clever and didn't call out the brand name but gave just enough closeup of the logo to draw in the unsuspecting. As you can see, with better photos than the listing, showed it is pretty clear that it is a long way from the real deal.
Hey Maddog! For future reference, you can usually spot a cloned leverlock by the screw in the metal plate that runs down the front handle of the knife. On the genuine article they have a fixed rivet, not a screw. Also, the letter that you think is a "c" is actually the same "r" that Hubertus uses, it's just that the underlining on the fake is lower down from the letters than on a genuine Hubertus, so it appears to be a "c". Great knife for "click therapy"! 8)
Of course I knew it was fake when I ordered it. Not because I know anything about the knife except that you will not buy a real version of that knife for $8.00! It is a heck of a nice switchblade for the price!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Maddogfl wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:56 pm

Ken
Heh,he,he. He is going to get a response! ;)
Hey, 6 months later ain't too bad, I'll take what I can get! LOL! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Maddogfl wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:59 pm
Of course I knew it was fake when I ordered it. Not because I know anything about the knife except that you will not buy a real version of that knife for $8.00! It is a heck of a nice switchblade for the price!
I hope you didn't feel I was criticizing your knife Maddog, ::handshake:: I was simply trying to pass along a way to spot fakes for future reference. And yes, they are very nice autos for the price! 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I learned something too, Mark. ::handshake:: As plain as the . . . well . . . you know whats on a Tom cat. ::sotb::
Attachments
Screenshot_20210909-195802.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:00 am I learned something too, Mark. ::handshake:: As plain as the . . . well . . . you know whats on a Tom cat. ::sotb::
Glad to help John. I too thought the "r" was a "c" until I saw it on what I knew for sure was a genuine Hubertus, and read the information describing the 2 stamps. 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:10 am
1967redrider wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:00 am I learned something too, Mark. ::handshake:: As plain as the . . . well . . . you know whats on a Tom cat. ::sotb::
Glad to help John. I too thought the "r" was a "c" until I saw it on what I knew for sure was a genuine Hubertus, and read the material describing the stamp. 8)

Looks like there's a "c" in "Solingen" too. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:12 am
Madmarco wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:10 am
Glad to help John. I too thought the "r" was a "c" until I saw it on what I knew for sure was a genuine Hubertus, and read the material describing the stamp. 8)

Looks like there's a "c" in "Solingen" too. ::nod::
Wow, it sure does! ::nod:: Never noticed that before. 8)
8)
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:05 pm
I hope you didn't feel I was criticizing your knife Maddog, ::handshake:: I was simply trying to pass along a way to spot fakes for future reference. And yes, they are very nice autos for the price! 8)
I did not take it that way. I am easy. (much to the benefit of the women of the world)
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

On the subject of fakes, of all items, not just knives, is does the same factory that makes the licensed item then does a run for themselves.... Chinese businessmen have the same lack of shame, ethics and morals as politicians.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Maddogfl wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:43 am
Madmarco wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:05 pm

I did not take it that way. I am easy. (much to the benefit of the women of the world)
::tu:: ::handshake:: 8) !
8)

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”