Counterfeit Case Tested Canoe on eBay

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
olderdogs1

Counterfeit Case Tested Canoe on eBay

Post by olderdogs1 »

This looks like a real Case Canoe but way way newer than the Tested era. Probably a canoe made sometime after 1965 and restamped with the Tested Stamp. Case never produced anything like this in the TESTED 1920-40 Era. Wrong shield for a Tested era knife. Also Case never produced a Tested era canoe with Bone handles and if they had, it quite likely would not have been red!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125010788683?_ ... BM-Nnh2qtf

Tom
olderdogs1

Re: Counterfeit Case Tested Canoe on eBay

Post by olderdogs1 »

Here is a picture.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I'm sure glad you guys with good eyes and knowledge about fakes are here to keep fools like me from making costly mistakes. Keep pointing them out and sharing your knowledge.... ::tu::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

This one is a great example of a knife having had the tang "shaved" and re-stamped. Look at the shoulder where tang meets blade, above the stamp. The shoulder grind line should be visible from blade edge to the spine, but as you can see in the pictures the line is prominent at the edge but disappears as it approaches the spine. This is caused by the tang having been grinded down during removal of the original stamp. The result being a tang thinner than original. The tang was then re-stamped with the older mark, and then re-assembled. See the picture showing the back (pile) side of the master blade for how the shoulder grind should look.

This in itself isn't a 100% foolproof clue (I've seen honest old knives with similar grinds) but if seen you should be suspicious and examine the knife more closely. In this case as Tom points out the handle covers, jigging, and shield are also wrong.

It's also instructive that the seller's description says the knife is from "an 80 year collection". If true (and it may be) It's a good example of a collector being fooled by and the victim of a counterfeiter. Been there myself. ::dang:: Just because the knife came from a collection doesn't mean it isn't a fake.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I agree...the 62131 was never made in Tested, in fact never made in XX either, until late 1964 when a very few XX stamped 62131's were produced right before the switch to the USA stamp.

As others have said, that one is an obvious fake anyway.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”