An Insult To The Tested XX Era 093 Pattern!

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Robo

An Insult To The Tested XX Era 093 Pattern!

Post by Robo »

Here's one listed on E-bay this week: Nothing on it looks like a tickler from the Tested era; the blades on the genuine Tested 093s were flat ground, not saber ground; the pulls weren't this far forward of the peak of the swedge (This is more like the pull locale of the 30s era Colonial toothpick). The end caps were longer (the ones on this knife look like those on a modern era Queen #20); and the handles overall were slim and sexy not chunky and clunky like the ones on this knife (sorry about the technical jargon!). I reported this to EBay and, of course, I will not get that five minutes of my life back. Live and learn!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-TESTED-XX ... 4902.l9144
Attachments
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg
Steve Warden

Re: An Insult To The Tested XX Era 093 Pattern!

Post by Steve Warden »

Thanks for taking the time and effort to educate on why this is a fake.
I'm a-learnin' stuff!! :mrgreen:
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Robo

Post by Robo »

My pleasure, Steve!
Jporter1974

Post by Jporter1974 »

This is one of the very reason I joined aapk and as members I think it is our responsibility first and foremost to protect the "Brand", whatever your brand is. Great job!! One more thing, What did Ebay say?
Robo

Post by Robo »

Sad to say, Ebay won't do anything. I report fake Case 093 patterns to them merely as a way of going on record. I have collected and studied this one pattern and the toothpick/tickler, etc, pattern in general closely for a couple years--and have been ripped off twice myself; so I feel confident to call sellers out on the fakes. Sometimes they pull them right away. Just because they're selling them doesn't always mean they know it's fake. But this one is still listed. I seriously doubt anyone will buy or bid on it because the starting bid is out of most people's price range anyway. You joined a great forum--thanks for your thoughts!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I keep seeing knives like this come up from time to time and I always pass, something just never looked right to me about some of these. So glad that you posted this. My eye was telling me something isn’t up to snuff but now that you have pointed out each issue, I have learned something.
I would have a hard time buying an “old” knife from someone om eBay that I didn’t have confidence or experience with. It seems like the fakes are really concentrating on copying older models.
Thanks for the post.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Robo wrote:Sad to say, Ebay won't do anything. I report fake Case 093 patterns to them merely as a way of going on record. I have collected and studied this one pattern and the toothpick/tickler, etc, pattern in general closely for a couple years--and have been ripped off twice myself; so I feel confident to call sellers out on the fakes. Sometimes they pull them right away. Just because they're selling them doesn't always mean they know it's fake. But this one is still listed. I seriously doubt anyone will buy or bid on it because the starting bid is out of most people's price range anyway. You joined a great forum--thanks for your thoughts!
Your experience is the same as mine, when I see a fake listed on eBay, and I'm confident it is a fake, I politely inform the seller, in a non-accusatory manner. I also post the knife here in the Counterfeit Watch forum, not only to warn potential bidders but mainly for education of our members. Depending on the response from the seller I may report the listing to eBay.

I have not kept track but I estimate about 50% of the time the seller sends a "thank you" response and pulls the listing.

40% respond with "mind your own business" or similar. A few argue with me (one said his neighbor has a knife collection and he said it's not a fake). One implied he knew it was a fake but he offers a 14 day return no questions asked, so if the buyer is unhappy they can return it, "what's more honest and fair than that?" ::facepalm:: The most recent one replied "not my knife, don't know nothing about it". Those are the ones I report to eBay, but I don't know why I bother because I've yet to ever receive any response from eBay or see a reported listing be removed!

Why do I bother? Because counterfeits and counterfeiters piss me off!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Robo

Post by Robo »

Mark, you're welcome. And just a thought: If you see something you might be interested in on Ebay, you can always link it in a post here and ask your pals at AAPK if it's legit or not. I never stray past the "Toothpick" pattern because I'm a pattern head. But there are lots of guys here with broader knowledge of Vintage pocket knives that'd be glad to help you before you risk buying.

Ken, I hear you! I have to remind myself that exposing these knives as fakes doesn't make me a snitch. This isn't a Robin Hood type deal in my opinion. There's nothing romantic about making a crummy counterfeit knife and trying to pawn it of on an unsuspecting buyer.

To end on a lighter note: The guy who listed the Knife in question re-listed it at $0.000 starting bid and posted a note saying "Some people contacted me and said this was fake, I don't know, you decide for yourself." Better if he had pulled it but at least now folks have been warned!

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”