new blades/ old handle?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
tongueriver

new blades/ old handle?

Post by tongueriver »

Young man trapped in an old man's body-- That's me, but it just seems wrong in a pocketknife.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cattar ... SwnsRaihNk
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: new blades/ old handle?

Post by glennbad »

Those swedges look so funky, like they were just cut.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

They also may be authentic old Cattaraugus blades stuck into an old frame. At knife shows in the 70's to 80's there were LOADS of authentic old Cattaraugus blades that someone had taken out of the factory after it closed. They all had the tang stamps and the "as-ground" finish. Many people bought these blades and created frankenknives.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
patch1

Post by patch1 »

Wrong on all accounts.Cobbled together for sure.
The main blade is out of a regulator.
I can't find a handle of that length that belongs to a Catt.
Lack of any worm grooving bothers me.
The location of the pivot pin so far out on the bolster is suspect also.
Adding a picture of a true 22919.

Patch1
Attachments
P1010245.JPG
Snowbird Eh?
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

These Catt`s pop up quite often with those unfinished blades.Sometimes the patterns are correct,but usually not. ::td::
Roger
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Lots of good information here; I learned something (until the short-term memory loss kicks in); thank you all. I think that knife would be an excellent user, but not for that price. I would jump @ $80. Meanwhile, I have several authentic Cattaraugus folding knives that do not have the Indian Trails or worm-groove type jigging. My understanding of that wg style, btw, is that it was purchased from Rogers Bone.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

knifeaholic wrote:They also may be authentic old Cattaraugus blades stuck into an old frame. At knife shows in the 70's to 80's there were LOADS of authentic old Cattaraugus blades that someone had taken out of the factory after it closed. They all had the tang stamps and the "as-ground" finish. Many people bought these blades and created frankenknives.
That nearly collapsed the Cattaraugus collector market for some time, no one trusted what was real and what was fake. Same thing happened with Holley knives, at one time they were THE knife to collect, but the shysters ruined that too.

Eric

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”