Franken 73

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Franken 73

Post by glennbad »

Here's a fun one. I had a leftover 73 blade from a blade delete. I also recently got a frame with some clawed jigged bone and no blade. The blade fits perfect. The nail nick is on the pile side, but it is also pinchable.
Franken 73-1.jpg
Franken 73-2.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Franken 73

Post by doglegg »

Great marriage there Glenn. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Looking good! A left handed knife 👍👍
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Thats kinda cool.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Beautiful work Glenn!!
it's a franken-beauty!!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Nice!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Some lefty is gonna like that! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Very cool when spare parts come together like that. Really nice work Glenn (as always). I am a lefty, but have never thought about trying to make a knife with a pile-side primary blade pull! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

As always, Mr. Glen is thee master, and we art the students.

Mighty well done sir, mighty well.

Oh, and what do I spy in the back round?... Looks like I'm not wrong for deciding to pickup a combo-sander; yours is a Delta, I may presume sir?
:D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:47 am As always, Mr. Glen is thee master, and we art the students.

Oh, and what do I spy in the back round?... Looks like I'm not wrong for deciding to pickup a combo-sander; yours is a Delta, I may presume sir?
Thank you for the comments. Yes, that is a Delta 4 x 36. Great all-around bench-top sander. I have had it for much longer than I have worked on knives. I mainly use it now for fitting cover materials to liners/bolsters.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

glennbad wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:53 am
WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:47 am As always, Mr. Glen is thee master, and we art the students.

Thank you for the comments. Yes, that is a Delta 4 x 36. Great all-around bench-top sander. I have had it for much longer than I have worked on knives. I mainly use it now for fitting cover materials to liners/bolsters.
Sounds great Mr.Glen. ::tu::
So IYHO, would it be a best first option for a knife shop?
Or, would going with individual 1x/disk/belt sander be a better option?

I know from when I had my woodworking shop, you can never have enough tools... :D
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:04 am

I know from when I had my woodworking shop, you can never have enough tools... :D
I have me eyeballs on something like this, would this be a good sharpener for roughing out the edges?
Attachments
KC-4900S@1.jpg
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:04 am

Here's a sander I'm looking at, on sale right now for a very good price...
Attachments
KC-760L@3.jpg
Winston Churchill

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I don't see much major use for a bench grinder like that. Anything with belts or discs will be more useful, IMO.

That floor model combo sander is nice, if you have the floor space for it.

I use the cheap 1 x 30 belt sanders, they are a great value. The 2 x 72 belt grinders are what the custom makers use. I have built one of those from plans, but haven't put it into use yet.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Beautiful lefty knife there Glenn! I love that frame and the blade. I’ll have to show that to my middle boy, he’s wrong handed and loves that kind of stuff.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

glennbad wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:53 am I don't see much major use for a bench grinder like that. Anything with belts or discs will be more useful, IMO.

That floor model combo sander is nice, if you have the floor space for it.

I use the cheap 1 x 30 belt sanders, they are a great value. The 2 x 72 belt grinders are what the custom makers use. I have built one of those from plans, but haven't put it into use yet.
Thank you for you input Glen, I'll be mulling over it for a bit.
Dale does like his, helps to keep everything nice 'n cool, but it's not a necessity. I guess it would be something to look at, further down the road?...
And again, wonderful franken build sir, as always.
::handshake::
Winston Churchill

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”