Santoku kitchen knife

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Santoku kitchen knife

Post by glennbad »

I have done a few of these VG-10 pre-ground knife blanks from Jantz in the past. I had planned on making this one for our company fundraiser this year, but that got postponed/canceled. I decided to finish this one for myself. It is black micarta with Ironwood. It's quite a nice slicer, and the VG-10 holds its' edge well.
santoku 3.jpg

I also recently picked up this smaller one off Amazon. Not sure how I will finish it, probably in Ironwood also, but am open to suggestions.
santoku 4.jpg
Meridian_Mike

Re: Santoku kitchen knife

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Both of those have BEAUTIFUL steel!!!
Great job on the one you finished. It's a beauty!!
2 thumbs up!!!

::tu:: ::tu::

That ironwood is hard to beat for a kitchen type knife!
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Wow Mr. Glennbad! Those are 2 (Extremely) beautiful knives, your finished one is ::tu:: .

If you have some laying round, dark dark ebony would look great one it. Or some curly maple. Or some... :wink: .

::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Beautiful finished knife. ::tu:: I love those santuko knives anyway. I use two of them pretty much every day, one or the other. Yours is great! Edit: Santoku. I never can remember how to spell it.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I finished the small santoku with some Ironwood and have been using it in the kitchen. The wife likes it better...she is scared of the big one, LOL
small santoku.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The ironwood really adds some class!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That ironwood looks great on those blades Glenn! ::nod::

About 6 years ago I did a couple of those VG10 blades from Jantz for a friend of mine's mom, a paring knife and the Santoku.
I did the handles in ebony they looked great but I think I like your dessert ironwood better. I did one of the less expensive Santoku's for my nephew's wife with desert ironwood and it came out really pretty. But I like your small Santoku better because of the bolster. I think that adds a lot to the look and the feel of the knife and makes it handle better.

I'm with Cal, one of the 1st knives I reach for is a Santoku. I use it to make my sandwich almost every day for lunch. Nice and wide to spread the peanut butter, good and sharp to cut the sandwich!

Awesome work Glenn! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”