OKC redo

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
Byrd

OKC redo

Post by Byrd »

Now don't laugh me out of the group! This is an Ontario Knife Company hunter I bought last year. Not being able to leave well enough alone, I re profiled the blade into a clip point and put curly maple handles on it. I stained them with Feibings leather dye and used boiled linseed oil as a finish. Now to let it develop a nice patina and I'll be happy!
Attachments
20200402_160253_HDR.jpg
20200402_160340_HDR.jpg
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Doc B

Re: OKC redo

Post by Doc B »

Nothing wrong, with those OKC knives, Byrd...and I like the reprofiling. I have one and they take a great edge! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Nice work on the edge!
Those handles are really nice! Tiger stripe maple looks good on a FB knife handle!
::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Thanks guys! I shoot muzzleloader and make powder horns as well so I've got a soft spot for knives like this. I was just out in the backyard throwing it into a stump. Might as well brake it in!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Byrd wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:38 pm Thanks guys! I shoot muzzleloader and make powder horns as well so I've got a soft spot for knives like this. I was just out in the backyard throwing it into a stump. Might as well brake it in!
COOL....
I need to see some of your work.
I made a couple of horns for myself back in the day.
I also build a few flintlocks too.
The first one I built was a Jaeger flintlock and I killed my first deer with it.... It was very rewarding!!
:D
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

I'm working on a buffalo horn now. Been scraping on it for while to thin it out. Still have a ways to go. I lived in Arkansas years ago and the guys I hunted with used 30-30 and 30-06 for 50 yard deer shots. They laughed at me for using a muzzie. Then they saw what a .50 patched round ball did at 30 yards. They quit laughing!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Byrd wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:50 pm I'm working on a buffalo horn now. Been scraping on it for while to thin it out. Still have a ways to go. I lived in Arkansas years ago and the guys I hunted with used 30-30 and 30-06 for 50 yard deer shots. They laughed at me for using a muzzie. Then they saw what a .50 patched round ball did at 30 yards. They quit laughing!
LOL.... Yep, that will do it!
I don't know what possessed me to do it... but, I adopted 58 cal as my choice for a bullet size. My longest deer kill was 74 paces.... That was years ago when we shot 3 or 4 afternoons each week.
All my muzzleloaders are 58 cal and larger. I have a 62 cal smoothbore (that I don't really like too much) and a short Brown Bess (74 cal) I shot when we played the "cut the post" game.
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

I like .50 and .54 caliber. I think the .50 is more accurate. I had a pristine .45 TC Hawkin that I sold to my brother a few years ago. I still regret that. Never got into the rock locks. It'd be a fun project to build one.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Byrd wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:11 pm Never got into the rock locks. It'd be a fun project to build one.
My friend influenced me with the flintlocks.....
That was all he ever shot and when I got into muzzleloaders that was where I started....
My last hi-jack post...
Here is a 54 cal flintlock I built for my friend (now deceased)... that was his caliber of choice.
54 Cal Jaeger_1.JPG
54 Cal Jaeger_2.JPG
They are fun...
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Great improvement on the OKC blade and I love the look of the tiger maple. Nice work Byrd! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Your project turned out great. Curly maple makes a great handle material, and your choice of finish accents the grain.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Thank you all! A fun project it was. Being stuck at home drives me to the bench. I've been wanting to do this one for a while.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That knife is ready for some good use now, nice work!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I just found this thread, sorry for the late entry.
That looks nice! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”