pocket knife compass project

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
Corso

pocket knife compass project

Post by Corso »

Having seen those old scout knives with a compass mounted in the handle I fancy giving it a try.

My question is how were they mounted so that the carbon blades didn't interfere with it's performance
cody6268

Re: pocket knife compass project

Post by cody6268 »

Sounds like an interesting idea, but I think it's why most survival knives/kits A: have the compass either glued in the aluminum/brass pommel, or B: stored separately, either in a hollow handle or in a pouch on the sheath. And, for the most part, I don't think the compasses were really that good/reliable anyway, and the compass thing was mostly a gimmick.

The cobalt alloy "steel" David Boye uses in his rigging knives is intentionally non-magnetic. But, I don't think it actually has any iron in it.
Corso

Post by Corso »

Do you think Brass liners would offer protection?
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I read something about those years back and had wondered about it until then. If I remember correctly, you had to have the knife blade in a particular position to cause the compass to read correctly, and then like Cody said, they weren't a very good compass to bet your life on. I have a few around here someplace and I did get one to sort of work. I have no idea where any of them are at the moment. ____Dave
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I have one of those old Cattaraugus scouts and the compass is dead as a door nail, regardless of how you position the blades. I think they just lose their magnetism over time. ::hmm:: Not sure if you could fix that . . .
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

KA-BAR made some big coke bottle folding hunters with celluloid scales with a compass in them. Some of these KA-BARs (but not all of them) have "Open blade to use compass" stamped into the celluloid. I am also sure that the cheap little compasses would not be very accurate or hol their magnetism over time being so close to the steel.
Corso

Post by Corso »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:00 pm I have one of those old Cattaraugus scouts and the compass is dead as a door nail, regardless of how you position the blades. I think they just lose their magnetism over time. ::hmm:: Not sure if you could fix that . . .
this is what I wondered

I fancied sticking a county comms Thumb Tac Compass in an old jack knife that needs new scales for a bit of fun but I wanted it to work

I suppose its small enought to replace it for a shield if it does break
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I would try it. Sounds like a fun project!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”