Some mammoths

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Some mammoths

Post by muskrat man »

Don't get the time to post as much as I used to but still like to stick my head in the door once in a while to let everyone know I am still alive and doing what I do :)
Attachments
76186711_554758391758153_3764413799856078848_o.jpg
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Some mammoths

Post by orvet »

Good-looking work there Kaleb!
I don't know what you've been doing that has kept you away from the forum, but obviously you haven't lost your touch!

I have been thinking about doing some ivory re-handles and so on my shopping list for Blade Show West tomorrow I have fossil ivory as the number one handle material I'm looking for. Of course bone and stag are always welcome!
I will see what Culpepper's has tomorrow, they had a nice display and lots of bone last year, though I didn't see much stag or ivory at the show.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Wonderful work Kaleb. Always good to see you around here. And that mammoth is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Most impressive work on those!
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

orvet wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:00 pm Good-looking work there Kaleb!
I don't know what you've been doing that has kept you away from the forum, but obviously you haven't lost your touch!

I have been thinking about doing some ivory re-handles and so on my shopping list for Blade Show West tomorrow I have fossil ivory as the number one handle material I'm looking for. Of course bone and stag are always welcome!
I will see what Culpepper's has tomorrow, they had a nice display and lots of bone last year, though I didn't see much stag or ivory at the show.
Hope you find some good stuff. Mostly knives, and some other crafts that keep me busy out in the shop most of my days. If anyone would have told me I'd be where I am at now with knives back when I first started I would have laughed at them. Time sure flies in the shop!
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Beauties! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That's some fine work, Kaleb! Good to see you posting.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Kaleb do you have a supply of mammoth ? or is it better if customer finds mammoth that he likes and then sends it along with the knife ?
And, when buying slabs of mammoth can you tell what they will look like when it gets polished up ?
I am a big fan of Muskrat Man !
kj
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Good to 'see' you Kaleb,and glad to know you're still creating beautiful knives ....
::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Very nice work!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Exceptional work Kaleb!
I really like the inlay.

Great job!!

Glad you took the time to post us some pics!

::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

In the opening post Muskrat Man stated he had been busy in his shop. Indeed he has. Including the knife pictured below. This is a Press Button Victor model. It was given to me a number of years ago by a close friend who has since passed. When I received it, the spring was too weak to make it fire and lock, it usually just opened about half way. The blade showed a lot of loss, and was badly stained, scratched, and even had some pits. Also, there was considerable peek when closed. (Ouch!) I wasn't sure it was worth the investment, but the close friend who gave me the knife is gone now, and I hoped I could bring the knife back to some of its former glory as a tribute to his memory. Someday, it will probably be a gift to one of his sons or grandsons. I sent it off to Muskrat Man about five months ago, and here is how it came back. It fires fast and complete, it seats deep, and locks tight. And, while the blade still shows some loss, what remains is bright and shiny. And I like bright and shiny. Thank you Muskrat Man for your expertise on this knife. It is special to me.
Attachments
DSC00171.JPG
DSC00170.JPG
DSC00169.JPG
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:13 am Kaleb do you have a supply of mammoth ? or is it better if customer finds mammoth that he likes and then sends it along with the knife ?
And, when buying slabs of mammoth can you tell what they will look like when it gets polished up ?
I am a big fan of Muskrat Man !
kj
I generally prefer the customer supply it so they have some idea of what the finished color will look like. the finished color can vary slightly from whats on the surface but normally not by much. to cokebottle for instance was completely blue at the start, after hafting and polishing some brown undertones came out which I thought looked really nice. Fine turnage productions is a good place to find ivory and tooth.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

hardman wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:34 pm In the opening post Muskrat Man stated he had been busy in his shop. Indeed he has. Including the knife pictured below. This is a Press Button Victor model. It was given to me a number of years ago by a close friend who has since passed. When I received it, the spring was too weak to make it fire and lock, it usually just opened about half way. The blade showed a lot of loss, and was badly stained, scratched, and even had some pits. Also, there was considerable peek when closed. (Ouch!) I wasn't sure it was worth the investment, but the close friend who gave me the knife is gone now, and I hoped I could bring the knife back to some of its former glory as a tribute to his memory. Someday, it will probably be a gift to one of his sons or grandsons. I sent it off to Muskrat Man about five months ago, and here is how it came back. It fires fast and complete, it seats deep, and locks tight. And, while the blade still shows some loss, what remains is bright and shiny. And I like bright and shiny. Thank you Muskrat Man for your expertise on this knife. It is special to me.
I'm glad I could be of service. always rewarding to see an old knife come back to life like that one did. ::tu::

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”