Dale, Is This One Of Your Knives?

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Dale, Is This One Of Your Knives?

Post by Jeffinn »

Just happened to see this and wondered if this was one of yours or if someone used one of your marked blades?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Schrad ... SwU51dm-zP
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Dale, Is This One Of Your Knives?

Post by orvet »

Jeffinn wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:26 pm Just happened to see this and wondered if this was one of yours or if someone used one of your marked blades?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Schrad ... SwU51dm-zP
I believe it is one I made several years ago when someone wanted a single blade version of the 897UH.
It's not often that I see one in my knife show up on eBay, I think that is the fourth or fifth one I've seen.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

And here it is! I'm the proud owner of one of Dales knives! I can't wait to get it! I just won it a half hour ago.
Attachments
Capture+_2019-10-15-17-36-39.png
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice pick-up, I was following it on eBay. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

It sold for close to my high bid. I was tempted to bump it as it got close, that's a dangerous game on EBay!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great score Byrd. ::nod:: ::tu::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Congratulations Byrd! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Thanks Dale! It's an honor to have one of your knives.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Byrd wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:08 am Thanks Dale! It's an honor to have one of your knives.
That was done 6 to 8 years ago as best as I can recall. Looks like it got used a bit.
If there are there any major problems with it, let me know. I wouldn't want you to be totin' one of my knives that wasn't right. ::nod::

I hope you enjoy it! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Byrd wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:10 am It sold for close to my high bid. I was tempted to bump it as it got close, that's a dangerous game on EBay!
I'm glad I didn't bid on it then.... I had it marked and was going to bid but it slipped by me.
Good score, enjoy it!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Appreciate you guys that were watching it not bidding! Dale thanks for the offer of a tune up if it has issues. That's quite kind of you! Does that mean your knives have a "forever warranty" like Bucks? ::woot::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Byrd wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:20 pm Appreciate you guys that were watching it not bidding! Dale thanks for the offer of a tune up if it has issues. That's quite kind of you! Does that mean your knives have a "forever warranty" like Bucks? ::woot::
In a word, No. Sorry.
I just checked Buck’s warranty on a 301GYS-B and it says the warranty is good for the lifetime of the original owner. Even if you were the original owner, I’m almost 70, there’s a good chance that you and a lot of people will be using knives that I have customized long after I’m gone.
While I do believe that our life does not end with the death of this physical body, and I believe that I will live forever in the presence of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I do not know that I will be able to repair knives that are still here on this earth. The shipping for such a repair, from the temporal realm to the eternal realm and back to the temporal realm would probably be cost prohibitive and the expense would likely exceed the value of the knife.

I don’t know of any carrier that can cross such a great divide; I know the US Postal Service doesn’t deliver to heaven and I’m pretty sure UPS doesn’t either, however, having dealt with both of those agencies I am pretty sure they do deliver in the opposite direction! :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

orvet wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:11 pm
I don’t know of any carrier that can cross such a great divide; I know the US Postal Service doesn’t deliver to heaven and I’m pretty sure UPS doesn’t either, however, having dealt with both of those agencies I am pretty sure they do deliver in the opposite direction! :mrgreen:
I give you a big AMEN for the latter part of that statement Dale!

:D
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

I was just joking. I thought it was kind of you to offer! I'm about the same age as you and have realized that the next big event my life is a face to face meeting with the Lord Jesus. It's a sobering and exciting thought all wrapped together! I'll see you there, whether we meet in the air or around the throne. I suspect when the day comes pocket knives will be the least we think about!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well, it's always hard to figure out what eternity will be like. Praising God and visiting with friends and family and such. BUT, who knows.... MAYBE the Lord will pass out a pocket knife to each of us and we can sit down by a stream and whittle on an ole stick and visit with each other. I do remember a preacher (years ago) gave a sermon in a revival and he said our pets will be there for our enjoyment.
I don't know about any of this, but I will be glad to spend eternity with my Lord and get a chance to see with old friends and family.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Byrd wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:23 pm I was just joking. I thought it was kind of you to offer! I'm about the same age as you and have realized that the next big event my life is a face to face meeting with the Lord Jesus. It's a sobering and exciting thought all wrapped together! I'll see you there, whether we meet in the air or around the throne. I suspect when the day comes pocket knives will be the least we think about!
I knew you were joking, that’s why couldn’t resist having some fun. :lol:

Meridian_Mike wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:45 pm Well, it's always hard to figure out what eternity will be like. Praising God and visiting with friends and family and such. BUT, who knows.... MAYBE the Lord will pass out a pocket knife to each of us and we can sit down by a stream and whittle on an ole stick and visit with each other. I do remember a preacher (years ago) gave a sermon in a revival and he said our pets will be there for our enjoyment.
I don't know about any of this, but I will be glad to spend eternity with my Lord and get a chance to see with old friends and family.

I certainly hope our pets will be there in heaven; I lost two of my favorite dogs last year and would love to see them again without the illnesses that they had (and I have).
There are certain things the Bible says about heaven, but it really stop short of giving us a description and a play-by-play tour guide of what we can expect. I believe the “pearl gates” and “streets of gold” are metaphorical descriptions meant to portray to us unimaginable wealth and beauty. The glory of God and the glory of heaven, I believe, are things we isn't fully comprehend in this life.

About making knives in heaven… Who knows? I believe the Bible clearly shows that we are created in the image of God. We know that God has a creative nature, and we know that humans have a creative nature. Will we loose this basic part of our nature when we leave this broken world? I don’t think so, I think it will be multiplied and we may become many times more creative than we are now. Maybe infinitely more creative?

There’s a very interesting book just called “Heaven” written by Randy Alcorn. He is one of those “thinks outside of the box people.” He steps outside of the traditional box most people consider “Heaven” and he looks at things very differently. I’m not sure I agree with everything he says, but he certainly challenge my thinking on some things having to do with heaven.

Back to topic; Byrd, assuming that you outlive me in this life, if your knife is broken bring it with you (if you can) and I will do my best to fix it for you in heaven. I tend to agree with your first analysis however, that pocketknives probably won’t be foremost on our minds! ::handshake::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Byrd

Post by Byrd »

This could become an interesting discussion! I agree that what we know about eternal life is limited. The Apostle Paul even indicated that when he was taken to heaven there were things he wasn't allowed to discuss. I think we have to agree that we know in part and see in part. I wanna see my dogs too, and my Dad and my Grandparents! Especially my Grandad that taught me to shoot and gave me my first knife. Unknowingly he shaped the rest of my life!
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

I got it today. A Schrade 897 converted to a Single blade by Dale! Great work on this knife Dale! It's in wonderful condition so the Orvet Always Warranty isn't needed, although the offer is appreciated.
Attachments
20191021_152251_HDR.jpg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

IS that the one that came from the factory with a SN inside the liner?
(For the guarantee)

That is a nice knife! Congrats!!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:24 pm IS that the one that came from the factory with a SN inside the liner?
(For the guarantee)

That is a nice knife! Congrats!!
the Uncle Henry's with the serial number had them stamped on the outside of the bolsters not on the inside of the liners. It should have a serial number on it because the serial numbers were still going, iirc, when they changed from Schrade - Walden to Schrade on the tang stamping in 1973.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

orvet wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:34 pm

the Uncle Henry's with the serial number had them stamped on the outside of the bolsters not on the inside of the liners. It should have a serial number on it because the serial numbers were still going, iirc, when they changed from Schrade - Walden to Schrade on the tang stamping in 1973.
10-4... I (for some stupid reason) thought the smaller knives like that one had the SN on the inside of the liner.
AND, I thought it was only for the guarantee knives....

::shrug::
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

The only serial number I see is DRV engraved in the brass liners.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Byrd wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:44 pm The only serial number I see is DRV engraved in the brass liners.
That may very well be the case, I do not remember the individual knife itself as I did several variations at that particular time, some of them special order. It may have been that this knife was sent to me and I supplied a used blade, or the blade came with the knife but it had broken handles. I really have no idea how many knives I have customized, restored, repaired or just made functional because the owner just wanted a good EDC, but it is a bunch! ::nod::

I don't remember off the top of my head when Schrade stopped serializing the Uncle Henrys. I thought it was after 1973, but I could be mistaken on that.
However Mike, if you find the serial number on an Uncle Henry it should be on the front bolster, and you can be assured that it is one of the earlier production Uncle Henry's.

Hopefully somebody else here can correct me if I'm wrong. ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

orvet wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:07 pm
However Mike, if you find the serial number on an Uncle Henry it should be on the front bolster, and you can be assured that it is one of the earlier production Uncle Henry's.

Hopefully somebody else here can correct me if I'm wrong. ::tu::
I am really confused now....
I do know that the larger LB-7 and LB-8s have the serial number stamped on the bolster....
Schrade+ LB8 50089.jpg
But.... how could they stamp a number on the smaller bolsters?
I searched around at lunch and I saw in several places where people SAID that the SN was stamped inside the liner of the 897 and a few other small folders but NOBODY had a picture to prove it.

SO.... has anyone ever looked on the inside of their early Uncle Henrys to see if they have a SN in there?

(Sorry to make this thread run off down a dirt road.)
Maybe I should have started another thread.

::shrug::
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

I've got an uncovered 897UH that doesn't have a serial number in it. I have no idea of its age though. I do have the LB7 with the number on top of the bolster like you pictured as well. ::shrug::

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”