GEC 71 bullnose

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

GEC 71 bullnose

Post by glennbad »

This one had some ugly orange covers, stag again for the recover...

dales1.JPG
dales2.jpg
dales3.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC 71 bullnose

Post by doglegg »

Glennbad, you make things I don't want things I do want. Great work as always. ::tu:: ::tu::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That is gorgeous Glenn! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

That's beautiful!!!!
Out of curiosity...Does the lanyard piece, go through the base of the backspring...or does the backspring "hook" over the top and around the lanyard piece? I've just recently encountered my first old knife, where the backspring only has the one pin...and "hooks" around the end pin. What holds the lanyard piece within the liners? Solder? Epoxy? You don't "peen" those do you?
You've found some very nice stag there!!!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I am as curious as you about Glenn's method because they are not easy to with my method...
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I have one of those in black micarta. The backspring is so darned strong I have trouble opening it. So I got out my trusty half-round rasp, and cut a deep, half-round groove crossways in the butt end. Now it's an easy opener - I pinch the blade to open it, don't use nail nick. Kinda ugly but efficient, and after all, it's an EDC.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Doc B wrote:That's beautiful!!!!
Out of curiosity...Does the lanyard piece, go through the base of the backspring...or does the backspring "hook" over the top and around the lanyard piece? I've just recently encountered my first old knife, where the backspring only has the one pin...and "hooks" around the end pin. What holds the lanyard piece within the liners? Solder? Epoxy? You don't "peen" those do you?
The spring does not have a hole, just a notch that rides up against the tube. install your "spring" pin first, it doesn't have to be all the way tight, just mostly snug.

The tube is held in place mainly by the tension of the spring. I do not use epoxy on the tube. I end up flaring the ends of the tube, that holds things nicely.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

glennbad wrote:
Doc B wrote:That's beautiful!!!!
The spring does not have a hole, just a notch that rides up against the tube. install your "spring" pin first, it doesn't have to be all the way tight, just mostly snug.

The tube is held in place mainly by the tension of the spring. I do not use epoxy on the tube. I end up flaring the ends of the tube, that holds things nicely.
Interesting...thanks for the info!!!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Stag on it is a Big improvement! Great job on it.

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”