GEC #23 transformed (PIC Heavy)

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
Brumbydownunder

GEC #23 transformed (PIC Heavy)

Post by Brumbydownunder »

This started life as an early (2007) GEC #23 pattern Smooth white bone with a pull that needed a 4WD with a winch to open.
When I first re-worked this I didn't dismantle the knife and left the white bone handles but the pull eventually got to me and I've now slicked the pull and added some Lace - Rose Sheoak scales.
DSCN3489c.jpg
Alterations
DSCN2805c.jpg
DSCN7100 - Copy (2).JPG
DSCN7123 (2).JPG
DSCN7113 (2).JPG
DSCN7117 (2).JPG
When I first started this in the middle of last year I had no idea that GEC was planing their #43 - I posted a couple of photos on Face Book of the initial changes and one of the engineers at GEC, Randy Bell contacted me to tell me what they had in the pipeline, which was quite a buzz.
Thanks for looking Derek
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
XX Case XX

Re: GEC #23 transformed (PIC Heavy)

Post by XX Case XX »

That turned out very nice. I like it. You did a real fine job. ::tu:: By the way, is that a Bisley?

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Looks awesome! Love the wood!
big monk

Post by big monk »

nice job, Derek ---awesome wood on that one !! ::tu::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Beautiful work! And it seems like it functions better for you too - bonus ::ds::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great work!
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Looks fantastic. Better than factory IMO.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Brumbydownunder

Cheers Guys for all the encouraging comments... much appreciated
XX Case XX wrote:That turned out very nice. I like it. You did a real fine job. ::tu:: By the way, is that a Bisley?

Mike sorry I'm not sure what a "Bisley" is.(?) This knife is a 2007 model and #23 pattern But back then they didn't stamp the numbers on the tang and didn't write on the end-cap of the tube. The tube has a sticker on it and in handwriting has ... " #23 Beaver Tail 2007 #058" ....before I messed with it, the bolster had the serial number 058 engraved on it.

Derek
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Brumbydownunder wrote:Mike sorry I'm not sure what a "Bisley" is.(?)
Your gun. At first glance, it appeared to be a Ruger Bisley judging by the hammer, but now I see it's a Blackhawk. Bisley's have a weird looking hammer, like it doesn't go up far enough and from the angle in your photo, it looked just like a Bisley. If you google 'Ruger Bisley Images" you'll see what I'm referring to.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

XX Case XX wrote:
Your gun. At first glance, it appeared to be a Ruger Bisley judging by the hammer, but now I see it's a Blackhawk. Bisley's have a weird looking hammer, like it doesn't go up far enough and from the angle in your photo, it looked just like a Bisley. If you google 'Ruger Bisley Images" you'll see what I'm referring to.

WP_20180311_001.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

XX Case XX wrote:

DSCN0059.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

1967redrider wrote:.45 Long Colt?
Not quite sure what the caliber is but I think the standard Blackhawk might be a .44/357 Mag unless it's customized with a different cylinder. Maybe he'll see this and tell us. ::nod::

XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

jerryd6818 wrote:Says Blackhawk on the frame and it says Bisley on the cylinder.
Yes I see that now that you mentioned that. It appears to also say ".43 Caliber" unless my glasses don't work. Very interesting. I hope he can shed some light on this. It's funny that this post was about his knife but it seems the gun is taking center stage.

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Mike, I too see .43 but I'm not familiar with that cartridge. Figured maybe it was a piece of lint and actually .45? ::shrug::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

1967redrider wrote: .45 Long Colt?
Yes.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks, Jerry.

But more importantly, great job on the knife. ::nod::

Brumbydownunder

XX Case XX wrote:

Yes it is a Bisley Blackhawk .45 Cal .... probably Colt .45 (or Long Colt, they are the same thing I understand)
DSCN2805d.jpg
My Mate Jason is an interesting character he is totally blind but has a collection of over 100 firearms handguns and long arms related to the Old West mostly modern reproductions.
He can tell you every little detail of the guns the history the actual construction and design etc Its wonderful to see him go over a gun very lightly with his fingers "seeing" it by touch.
He comes out to my home range, one of us stands behind him and we talk him onto the target ... its only plinking really but Jason has a wow of a time - just quietly so do I getting to shoot all these beaut guns.
100_5268.jpg
Derek
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Brumbydownunder wrote:Yes it is a Bisley Blackhawk .45 Cal .... probably Colt .45 (or Long Colt, they are the same thing I understand)
Thanks Derek. Sorry that your post took a left turn and started to be about the Ruger instead of your knife. You're knife is very, very nice by the way. The subtle modifications you did are outstanding to say the least. That seems like a modification that a lot of folks would stand in line for. You are very skilled Sir. Fantastic job on your GEC. ::tu::

Brumbydownunder

XX Case XX wrote:
Brumbydownunder wrote:Yes it is a Bisley Blackhawk .45 Cal .... probably Colt .45 (or Long Colt, they are the same thing I understand)
Thanks Derek. Sorry that your post took a left turn and started to be about the Ruger instead of your knife. You're knife is very, very nice by the way. The subtle modifications you did are outstanding to say the least. That seems like a modification that a lot of folks would stand in line for. You are very skilled Sir. Fantastic job on your GEC. ::tu::

Derek
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Derek the knife looks outstanding, you did an amazing job on it. I think you'd do GEC proud if you were sitting at one of their benches.

Eric
Brumbydownunder

ea42 wrote:Derek the knife looks outstanding, you did an amazing job on it. I think you'd do GEC proud if you were sitting at one of their benches.

Eric
Thanks Eric nice of you to say so. And how would I love to spend just 1 day at GEC .... what you could learn about knife making would be invaluable.

Derek
wlf

Post by wlf »

Great job Derek. Randy at GEC is a hoot,Bill Howard has done a remarkable job at producing collectible knives of quality on a grand scale. They are bargains compared to the top of the line produced by other manufacturers, and good down to earth people. I highly recommend attending the Rendezvous and tour given each year.

I was pleasantly shocked at the number of guns your buddy was able to keep.I've heard otherwise. ::tu:: ::tu::
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”