A Craftsman Peanut Meets Henckel Stag

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A Craftsman Peanut Meets Henckel Stag

Post by orvet »

The little peanut pattern that Schrade made as the 12OT, Pal; and as the Ulster #183 were built on the same frame. They called the pattern a “dogleg jack” but I think most people would agree it looks like a peanut. The 12OT was made as a single bladed knife, but the Ulster 183 was a two bladed jack and the clip blade had a nice high knuckle with beautiful deep swedge ground into the blade. It’s one of my favorite blades just to look at! I think it is one of the best looking clip blades ever made!

This Craftsman pattern #95041 is essentially the Ulster 183 but it was made after Schrade moved into the Ulster factory and also after the introduction of the Swinden system of knife making.

I like the Ulster 183 and I think it makes it excellent knife for customization, whether it has the Ulster tang stamp, Craftsman tang stamp or the Schrade tang stamp, they always come out looking nice. And who can go wrong with stag?

I should probably introduce this stag; it is Sambar stag that came from the parts stock of the Henckel’s factory. Henckels stopped manufacturing their own pocket knives approx 1960. In the 1980s I managed a cutlery store and we sold Henckel kitchen knives. Our Henckel sales rep was a gentleman named John who also repaired pocketknives as a hobby. This was the first time I had ever heard of anyone repairing a pocket knife aside from someone at the factory. He told me that Henckels was aware of his hobby and asked him if he would, for a reasonable fee, repair Henckel knives for the Henckel customers in North America. The deal was made and Henckels shipped John all of the parts that he could possibly store. The parts included pins, springs, liners, bolsters, blades and of course handle material from ivory, real tortoise shell, bone, etc. and lots of stag. Several years ago, I got quite a bit of stag that came from the Henckel’s factory, through John by way of a third party. I used up most of the larger pieces of stag several years ago, but I do have some smaller pieces left that were warped and twisted. I have been working to straighten out some of these pieces and flatten them so I can use them for handle material. This Henckel stag is the source for the stag on this little Craftsman peanut.

IMO, the stag that Henckel used and many of the other old German companies was different than most of the stag we see today and the slabs were cut much thinner than most of the slabs we find now.

I put some of this Henckel stag on this Craftsman peanut.
I thought the stag looked magnificent in spite of the fact that I had to take the pictures indoors. I hope you enjoy the pictures.
Craftsman Peanut custom stag a.jpg
Craftsman Peanut custom stag b.jpg
Craftsman Peanut custom stag c.jpg
Craftsman Peanut custom stag d.jpg
Craftsman Peanut custom stag e.jpg
Addendum: Just as I posted this I noticed I had not sharpen the knife nor put my etch on the back of the master blade.
I guess it is backed the workbench. :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: A Craftsman Peanut Meets Henckel Stag

Post by royal0014 »

I like that 'un Dale.

Very close to the barehead Kutmaster you did for me a few years ago
with the Henkles stag. Small stuff but nice .. . .
:mrgreen:
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Nice Resto Dale ::tu:: Owning A Few Craftsman And Schrades I Can tell ya There Snappy Little Fella,s Excellent , Excellent Choice :mrgreen:
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

::tu:: nice
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I may never have the time left to know 1/4 as much as you do about knives but I've set a firm goal for the time I have left.
That is to be at LEAST 1/2 as good at building a knife as you. ::nod::

Consider me to be completely impressed with your "style". ::handshake::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I am glad you guys like it, and I appreciate the accolades, but a big part of a restoration or the initial build is having quality materials.
The Schrade made Craftsman is an excellent canvas on which to paint and the old Henckels stag is like getting your paint from Michelangelo! ::nod::
The old companies like Henckels in Solingen got excellent stag and they cut it much thinner than most stag you see today.
The result was a nice tight pattern without a lot of smooth antler between the bolsters and the texture of the stag.
Such excellent materials, plenty of practice and a wee bit of skill goes a long way towards a great knife.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Blah, Blah, Blah...

You are just GOOD at what you do!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ::handshake::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That's a little dandy peanut, Dale! And you know I am a sucker for nice stag!
DR_MAGOO

Post by DR_MAGOO »

Dandy little knife. A keeper for sure.
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

I looked at this post earlier and thought I had commented. Came back to see it again and realized I hadn't. Very nice work Orvet, the stag looks great on that knife.
Greg
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Beauty Dale!!!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Thats sweet !

So when will it be in your store ? :mrgreen:
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Dale, great job, that stag is perfect!! ::tu:: ::tu::

Gotta love when the stag is thinned down for you, sanding a thick chunk can be a dusty chore!!! Plus you never know what you're going to wind up with.

Eric
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you guys I appreciate all the encouragement and kind comments! ::tu::
Toejammer wrote:Thats sweet !

So when will it be in your store ? :mrgreen:
I have to get out the etching machine and it’s this one and several other knives as well and then gets pictures of this one with the etch to put in the store. Hopefully I can get it done in the next couple of days.

ea42 wrote:Dale, great job, that stag is perfect!! ::tu:: ::tu::

Gotta love when the stag is thinned down for you, sanding a thick chunk can be a dusty chore!!! Plus you never know what you're going to wind up with.

Eric
Thank you Eric, I appreciate that.
Many of the pieces of stag that came from Henckels are on the smaller side and they work well on small knives within bolsters.

And you are right, what you end up with when you start to thin a piece of bone, stag or even wood is never a given! I have discovered cracks and voids in most natural handle materials commonly used for knives. I can appreciate how excited the knife companies were when they found a stable, consistent and easy to work with source of synthetic handle material. Definitely a plus if you are just making a quality tool, but not so great on the artistic side.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.........great looking handles, dale!!.............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...................
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Ya done good Dale, real good. That’s a real beauty.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”