New WIP Rehandle GEC 77

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: New WIP Rehandle GEC 77

Post by Quick Steel »

Randy I think they are looking awesome. Totally appropriate for such an awesome thread.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks QS! Will, those are the very same. I did not think about it at the time but they are shinny because they were wet! I gave them a coat of potassium permanganate to darken the edges. I am trying to make them look like the stag covers on the Shapleigh jack at the beginning of the post. When shaping and sanding stag it can take on a bright white appearance. Which is very cool, but in this case we are trying to copy the look of aged stag. Here is a pic after I gave them a rub down.
20170715_174142[1].jpg
There are a couple of places that need smoothing a bit. After that it time to drill some holes for handle pins and the rocker pin. After the handle pins are in its time to inlay the shield. I'll be back with more pics on Monday!
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Thanks Randy...you are really gonna get the look you want looking at the
last pic of em...really enjoyed this post, and to watch someone share
their wonderfull talents with the rest of us Joe Lunchbuckets
I guess I never in all my days realized by sanding down them stag
slabs, you could get to the stag bark area you like the best...and the
color you are gonna get out of the smooth area...gorgeous !!!
I got a pair of slabs and when I figure out what to put em on,
I am gonna get on your waiting list bud....

Will
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/clearcreekknives
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks Will! Any time your ready buddy! Well its going to be another scorcher here today! Going to pin the covers on today and inlay the shield! Tomorrow is going to be a non work day. I have been nursing a bad tooth for a couple of days and have an appointment to get that sucker yanked out tomorrow. With any luck Wednesday is supposed to be cooler and I will done with the broken tooth! :shock: So my plan is to reassemble the knife then and start on the final finish! Most of my work is done by hand so maybe I'll be done on Friday. We will see! Stay tuned ::tu::
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Alrighty, covers are pinned on and the next step is to inlay the shield. Final finish and buff after that. Then its time to assemble! Here is a pic of where I am at this morning. I placed the shield where it is going to be so that you could get a look at it.
20170717_115806.jpg
and the picture of the knife that we are trying to replicate.
Screenshot_2017-06-26-17-27-37.png
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Coming along nicely, Randy!
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks Glenn! You know I was looking those stag covers and the lines on the cap end remind me of flames.
fire stag.jpg
:D Fire Stag!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Calm down Randy. You're not working on a '57 Chevy.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I'll try Greg ::groove:: But dang, there aint nuthin like a 57 Chevy Belair with tail fins, Cragers with baby moons. Fat tires in the back with raised white letters. Oh my.... there I go again... Oh jack up the back end .... and of course.... Flames! ::super_happy::
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

#goldpan wrote:I'll try Greg ::groove:: But dang, there aint nuthin like a 57 Chevy Belair with tail fins, Cragers with baby moons. Fat tires in the back with raised white letters. Oh my.... there I go again... Oh jack up the back end .... and of course.... Flames! ::super_happy::
You go buddy! Flames on that thing will look great! :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Alrighty, I went to dentist and had to get a tooth pulled. Its all done but the infection and swelling are slowing me down today. Rob I should be finished by the weekend. I hate to be idle but I need to let the feeling in my face pass before I do more work on your knife. I plan on finishing over the weekend.
20170719_110656[1].jpg
I just need to age that diamond shield a little to get the over all look that we are looking for. Then I can pin it in place and start putting the knife back together. How do like it so far Rob? I hope to be able to mail it out you next week!
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

It's looking fantastic, loving watching it come together. As you know, I intend to give it to a colleague but I'm not so sure anymore. :D
Heal up well from your dental visit.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

20170720_132131.jpg
Screenshot_2017-06-26-17-27-37.png
Okay! I am close to putting it all back together. The nickel silver pin stock for this one will be here tomorrow according to the tracking info. Once it gets here I start re-assembling her. I think we done good trying to get old time Shapleigh look. ::nod:: Over the weekend I'll pin her together and do the finishing touches. After that we will be ready to ship her home! Rob if the color is good were done, except for putting her back together. If you want the color lighter or darker let me know. I prefer to get that done before it goes back together.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I think its looking great.
Rob
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

while waiting for the pin stock to be delivered today I thought I would do a mock up. Pinned it up with some tooth picks. Looks good! Can't wait to finish!
20170721_121932.jpg
PCwizard

Post by PCwizard »

How many hour's do you think you have into this job.
The quality of your work is top shelve. That will be a great looking knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks for the props Gary! ::tu:: You know I have not thought about the amount of time that I have on this project. When I work on a knife I kinda go into the "zone" and I lose all track of time. I am willing to bet though that if I charged by the hour no one could afford the work! ::tounge:: Its fun, challenging and rewarding all at the same time. And knowing the someone will love and use the knives that I work on adds to the satisfaction that I get while working on them. ::nod:: And now for the update: The folks that I bought the pin stock from sent me brass instead of nickle silver ::doh:: So I had to re-order from someone else and I expect the rods to get here mid week. Rob if you want me to finish faster I can turn down some over size stock to get er' done! Other wise I plan on waiting until about Wednesday. I am at the point now where I really want to see the finished knife. Even worse is that I am falling in love with this knife. Someday I need to make one for my self. Always wanted a harness jack! ::tu::
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Can't wait to see it all together...prior pics look great, he should
be a happy camper...also Randy.......
I bought that Bowie blank and it should arrive this coming week,
when I get it, the stag scales and blank are off to your shop..
PM ya when I am ready to ship...looking forward to this project bud

Will
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/clearcreekknives
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I'll be waiting Will! ::tu:: Looking forward to the build! ::nod::
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Well, the pin material is going to be a while getting here. So I turned down some .090 pin stock down to .079 and pinned her together. Function is smooth and it walks and talks with ease! These are the last pictures before I do the final finish work. As you can see the pins need to be finished and and just a little more sanding and buffing and she will be done!
20170724_145425.jpg
20170724_145440.jpg
20170724_145524.jpg
20170724_145540.jpg
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

That is looking fine, very fine. Can't wait to get her in hand. Could you get a well shot pic when you have time Randy?
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

No problem Rob. Here are two pics. One with the blades open and one closed.
20170724_195111.jpg
20170724_195656.jpg
When she is all done I'll do a final set of pics of the knife from different angles.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Its almost done. You may not see it in the pics but there are some fine scratches that I want to get out on one side. After that is time to shine and put a couple coats of Walker wax and were done!
20170726_171249.jpg
20170726_171305.jpg
20170726_171322.jpg
20170726_171356.jpg
20170726_171417.jpg
20170726_171434.jpg
Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

Mighty Fine Looking Knife Randy... thanks for sharing the WIP it has been very informative and by the way love your comments a few posts back I can relate to them entirely ...

" You know I have not thought about the amount of time that I have on this project. When I work on a knife I kinda go into the "zone" and I lose all track of time. I am willing to bet though that if I charged by the hour no one could afford the work! ::tounge:: Its fun, challenging and rewarding all at the same time. And knowing the someone will love and use the knives that I work on adds to the satisfaction that I get while working on them. "

There has been plenty of times when I have been in the shed when I have missed meals altogether, simply did not realize it was time to go & eat :lol:

Derek
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great job Randy! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15