Camillus Mk 2 rebuild

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
Toejammer

Camillus Mk 2 rebuild

Post by Toejammer »

Ok, first off, I think it's a Mk 2, could be wrong lol !I've had this blade, along with the Pilots knife, for nearly 4yrs now. I can only remember that the seller I got it from had dated it late 60's - early 70's possible Vietnam used. Anyone know for sure, let me know !

And, I decided right away that I would honor the blade, and leave it as it was. (If it was used in service, it should tell that story) So the brass guard and pommel are both a bit scratchy, and there are a few dings on the spacers that I could have polished out, but then none of it would look like it should be with the blade. The sheath was NOS off eBay, but I doubt it was the same as the original issue. The handle is some very old walnut that is at least older than me (54yrs) as my dad told me he got it years before me. The block of wood was about 2" thick and 12" x 6". I've been using slices off it for years.

Anyways, I was going to give my son the Pilots knife, but I think he gets this instead. Besides the fact that he served in Iraq, and would appreciate the symbolism, this one is actually a better build ! The Pilots knife is only pinned once, and compression fit. I don't trust it to do "chores". This one is pinned solid twice, and I'd chop wood with it if I had to :mrgreen:

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillus Mk 2 rebuild

Post by glennbad »

Looking good!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

"When Camillus started production in 1962 , the markings were not specific to a service - therefore they are marked simply U.S. over CAMILLUS, N.Y. until 1974 and U.S. over CAMILLUS after that. The new series of knives made by Utica, Camillus, Conetta, MSI and Ontario are properly called Knife, Combat (Military Specification MIL-K-20227 with a number of minor amendments)."

The source for this information is Frank Trzaska & Gary Cunningham.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

jerryd6818 wrote:"When Camillus started production in 1962 , the markings were not specific to a service - therefore they are marked simply U.S. over CAMILLUS, N.Y. until 1974 and U.S. over CAMILLUS after that. The new series of knives made by Utica, Camillus, Conetta, MSI and Ontario are properly called Knife, Combat (Military Specification MIL-K-20227 with a number of minor amendments)."

The source for this information is Frank Trzaska & Gary Cunningham.
Thanks ! That puts it in the right period time wise. :)
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”