TL-29-ish for my son's graduation gift.

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
Stringplucker

TL-29-ish for my son's graduation gift.

Post by Stringplucker »

This never was a TL-29, but rather, a Proto J18535, Stanley/Proto's version of the TL-29 with a cable stripping blade. I picked this up in a $20 batch of knives, and tried selling it...but there were no takers. So, instead of setting aside for future sale, I decided to make something special for my son's graduation next month. The handle material is something someone gave me, claiming that it was stabilized wood that they wanted me to make into a mod for vaping. That was over a year ago, and I've called the guy a number of times to tell him to pick it up, because I couldn't do with it what he wanted done. After a year of not picking it up, I've claimed parts of it for this project.

I believe it was glennbad that turned the screwdriver blade into a bottle opener, which I thought was rather ingenious. I thought about copying him on that, but decided not to, because it's been done. So, I tossed the screwdriver and main blades aside and decided to use the cable stripping blade. It's what I would call a combination of two different blades...the hawkbill pruner and the wharncliffe. It looks like it could be quite useful for him. I wanted something useful for him, something that he could carry while dressed up, or something he could carry to fire calls (he's a full member of our borough's fire department).

Now, a bit of a back story. Back when I worked for a jet engine manufacturer in Utah, I was given permission to use a piece of scrap Titanium to make wedding rings for my wife and me. I wanted to be THAT guy...cheap and romantic. LOL Anyway, I had enough scrap left over to spin up a pair of rings for my daughters. When I they opened them, I told them that each ring was different, just as they are different from each other. One had one groove and the other had two grooves...to signify who the ring belonged to. The one with one groove belonged to my oldest daughter, and the one with two grooves belonged to my second daughter. I also told them to study their rings, and find the minor flaws that I left in them. I told them to list the flaws, and come back to me when they thought that they found them all. I told them also that they should look within themselves, identify their own flaws, and list them for future reference. I explained that just as I created those rings out of scrap, that God created them. Just as the rings I created had minor flaws, they were created with flaws as well...and it was their job to find them and remember them. I reminded them that their flaws should never stop them from succeeding in their life goals.

That same story will be told to my son. The knife I created and altered in my basement shop has flaws...flaws that he should find, identify, and acknowledge, just as he should do within himself. He'll also be told that while the knife may have flaws, that it works perfectly...much like he can manage in life with his own flaws.

Anyway, here's a photo of it prior to first coat of tung oil finish. I have until my surgery to get as many coats of tung oil on it as I can. After I'm worked on, I'll be down for at minimum 3-6 months, and he graduates in June.
20170502_124404.jpg
20170502_124418.jpg
20170502_124444.jpg
20170502_124455.jpg
Jon
Stringplucker

Re: TL-29-ish for my son's graduation gift.

Post by Stringplucker »

In a few days, when I get a number of coats of tung oil on it, I'll post updated photos. The first coat brought some nice features out in the wood that I hope only get better with each application.
Jon
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Looks nice. I also liked your stories of the rings and your daughters. ::tu::
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I love the connection between the work you did, the gifts from dad and the life lessons - well played Jon - I'm sure your son will treasure that knife forever. Praying that God guides your surgeons hands to a successful outcome.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I like your knife work but I like your account of the rings better! Wedding rings and then rings to challenge your daughters with how they should live their lives, then a knife for your son with the same great challenge!
Stringplucker, you the kind of father our country needs!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

Thank you for the compliments. God saved me from a stupid death in 1990, one of my own doing, and again in 2007 when my house caught fire, with me and the kids inside. I was able to save the kids, but not the pets. I nearly lost my middle child, spending almost a month in ICU for smoke inhalation. Both events have been reminders to me to walk the straight and narrow, and to raise mine to do the same. I've always been a hands on parent, which helped me gain full custody of the kids from their mother in a different state 7 years ago. They were very rough around the edges and lacked discipline, but in the end, they've come a long way.

Again...thank you for the compliments, but I was only doing my job as a parent, to raise productive members of society.
Jon
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Very nice work ! ::tu:: ::tu::

I've done tung oil before, I think on walnut once and spalted maple. If I remember correct, it took about 4 - 5 coats before the "sheen" took hold. And I used 000 steel wool in between coats to help it bite.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I agree with TF! Good on ya sir!

The knife looks great too. I have an old CASE slimline trailer with he sheepsfoot blade that Orvet did up a similar handle in it for me, same wedge shape. It fits the hand very well.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

This is a great post Jon. The knife looks great I'm sure your son will cherish it. Your story is an inspiration to me as well as others. Thanks for sharing this post

Monte
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The knife is great the moral with the knife & rings is priceless!
You have certainly been blessed!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

Here's the final product. It didn't take as much tung oil finish to get to this point as I thought. I'm excited to be able to give this to him next month.
Attachments
20170508_142326.jpg
20170508_142335.jpg
20170508_142344.jpg
20170508_142357.jpg
Jon
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Beauty!
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

glennbad wrote:Beauty!
Coming from you, sir, that means something! I admired the one you did where you made the screwdriver blade into a bottle opener...I thought that was a perfect use for that blade. I hope to one day be able to copy the same thought process on it, if you wouldn't mind. I'm sure my first won't be as nice as yours, but I'll give it my best effort. I've got carbide drills and endmills to get the radius, and will likely plunge it out on the drill press followed by some grinder work to finish it. If I had a mill, I could have that done in short work...I've got a couple drill presses, but I think I can make it work in my favor.
Jon
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Stringplucker wrote:
glennbad wrote:Beauty!
Coming from you, sir, that means something! I admired the one you did where you made the screwdriver blade into a bottle opener...I thought that was a perfect use for that blade. I hope to one day be able to copy the same thought process on it, if you wouldn't mind. I'm sure my first won't be as nice as yours, but I'll give it my best effort. I've got carbide drills and endmills to get the radius, and will likely plunge it out on the drill press followed by some grinder work to finish it. If I had a mill, I could have that done in short work...I've got a couple drill presses, but I think I can make it work in my favor.
Of course. I'm sure somewhere along the way, I've copied someone's ideas for this or that. Who knows, you may be able to improve upon the design!

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”