Sharpfinger design

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
Stringplucker

Sharpfinger design

Post by Stringplucker »

I picked up a hammer finished Woodsman Skinner (Sharpfinger design) from company located in North Carolina. I love the Sharpfinger design, and am glad to see it out as a blank. I'm using it to build a knife for my step son out in California. I chose a stabilized maple burl for the handle material. I've got it shaped as far as I can go without mounting it to the blade, and am waiting on the counterbore I ordered for the cutler rivets I'm using.

Here's a few pics of what I've got and where it sits at the moment.
20170414_145022.jpg
20170421_120516.jpg
20170423_080626.jpg
20170423_080640.jpg
20170423_092339.jpg
Jon
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Sharpfinger design

Post by edge213 »

Cool man.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Should be a nice looking knife when you get done with it! ::tu::
David
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

How is that sharp finger coming? Would love to see it when its finished. I bet your step son is going to love it! ::tu::
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

It's coming along nicely, I think. I'm now up to 6 coats of Formby's High Gloss Tung Oil on the handle, after sanding all the way up to 2500 grit automotive sanding sponge. I have no idea how many coats of this stuff I should put on, but I plan to keep going until the leather sheath I ordered comes in sometime late next week. When it arrives, I'll wet fit the sheath for a custom fit, then freshen up the cut edge a bit.

Here's what it looked like part way in the sanding process, prior to the first coat of tung oil...
Attachments
20170428_132410(0).jpg
Jon
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

Having never worked with stabilized wood before, I'm enjoying the process of learning about it. My wife, who also owns a Schrade USA Sharpfinger, wants me to eventually make one of these for her, as well.

One thing I did forget to do was to drill the lanyard hole, so it's not going to have one at all. I'll remember to do it on the next one, I'm sure.
Jon
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

I forgot to add that I had to relieve some of the lumps from the hammer marks that are under the front of the scales. The left side scale wouldn't sit flat, even though it was flat sanded on a granite surface plate. I set the scale on the blade, traced the front onto the steel with a pencil, and filed it down some with rifler files. I was very happy to see that I bought the right counterbore, and that it cleared for the heads with a slight amount of rub, allowing for a seamless transition after final sanding. It took me a few days to find a vendor for the cutter, and I was close to grinding down a pilot for one of my spot faces I had from my jig boring days, but I didn't have to go that far. I found one online that was made from a split piece of HSS. Had I had access to a surface grinder and spin jig, I would have had one made out of an old endmill in short time.

I do miss that kind of work so much. That's probably why I like working on guns and knives. The feel of steel, oil, and dirt on my fingers feels good.
Jon
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

8 coats and it's finally getting depth to the shine. I've learned the secret, I think...sand each dried coat with the finest abrasive I have and re-apply. Just when I think I'm done, keep going. I'll probably keep doing this right up to my surgery, to ensure that I get the best and deepest shine to the maple burl. It's amazing how, with each progression sanding grit, the details of the wood really come through...almost like bringing a photo into focus.

I have just enough left of this material to do a pair of scales on an Imperial shell knife I have. Other than the plastic peeling away, the knife is in great shape.

20170502_054303.jpg
20170502_054335.jpg
20170502_054442.jpg
Jon
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

I really like the way the handles turned out. Looks great Jon.

Monte
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

montemojo wrote:I really like the way the handles turned out. Looks great Jon.

Monte
Thanks. When the sheath comes in, I'll post before and after photos of what I do to it to make it fit the knife. I wish I had proper stamps to make it look right. But, for now at least, a wet fitting should do. I don't think the leather was dyed, and if not, I'll have to do that first. I ordered the sheath from Gordon's Leatherworks in Illinois. He seemed to have a decent selection to pick from of pre-made sheaths. A little finish work on my end shouldn't be much of an issue. If this winds up becoming a thing for me, I'll invest in necessary stamps and tooling. Being the first one out of my shop like this, budgetary concerns dictate that I do it as cheaply as possible with only what I have on hand.

When completed, I'll try to get some sexy knife photos. I have a heck of a piece of stabilised cottonwood to use as a prop, complete with sections of natural bark still attached. We'll just have to see if I have an artistic photographic imagination. LOL
Jon
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

nice work 8)
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

It is looking good. ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

Here it is, paired with it's sheath. It took me some time to get back to normal after my shoulder surgery in May. I've picked up a few more blanks and stabilized burl scales to make more knives. This one was sent to my step-son, who should get it tomorrow. I collected a few orders while on the mend after showing this one off a bit. Now I wait for this blank to be back in stock, since one of the orders was for this specific knife.

Perhaps after some more healing, I'll start making them from scratch.
received_10159214490982037.jpeg
Jon
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Beautiful job.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Fantastic job Jon, love that burl!! ::tu:: ::tu::

Eric
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Jon,
If you want to do some more Sharpfingers there is a seller on eBay who makes a Damascus Sharpfinger. He makes a small one and a full-sized one. I have worked with a number of his blanks and they are excellent quality! I just checked and he doesn't have a Sharpfinger listed now, but it is one of the patterns he has listed pretty regularly. The sellers name is snakeriversknives, you can find him here: http://www.ebay.com/usr/snakeriverknive ... 7675.l2559

Excellent work and nice Maple burl! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »