A few I've pottered with

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
Brumbydownunder

A few I've pottered with

Post by Brumbydownunder »

Started tinkering with knife customizing about 3 years back .... these are a few of them. All are users by the way :D
DSCN6616c.jpg
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
XX Case XX

Re: A few I've pottered with

Post by XX Case XX »

Wow those are real nice. I like how there's no gap between the bolster and the edge of the handle. That's one of my pet peeves, I hate gaps. If that's just tinkering, I'd love to see what you can really do... ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Nice work.
Being a Old Timer knife collector I like the one on the bottom right.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Those are an excellent testimony to your skills. Very well done. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Very nice work and a very nice group of knives. Something to be proud of for sure. Great tinkering! ::tu::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That is a nice herd Grant!
Great work! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Brumbydownunder

Thanks for the encouraging comments Folks, it's something I get a lot of satisfaction out of. I don't have any commercial aspirations its all for purely for the enjoyment of bringing old knives back to life.

Closer view of the walnut on the knife bottom left above finished with Birchwood Casey 'True Oil'
DSCN6604.JPG
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Brumbydownunder wrote:Thanks for the encouraging comments Folks, it's something I get a lot of satisfaction out of. I don't have any commercial aspirations its all for purely for the enjoyment of bringing old knives back to life.

Closer view of the walnut on the knife bottom left above finished with Birchwood Casey 'True Oil'

DSCN6604.JPG
Now just out of curiosity, what exactly does that "True Oil" do? Does it absorb into the wood to give it a "rich" kind of look to it? Kind of like using a variety of stains on a gun stock to achieve different shades? It looks very nice. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Brumbydownunder

Now just out of curiosity, what exactly does that "True Oil" do? Does it absorb into the wood to give it a "rich" kind of look to it? Kind of like using a variety of stains on a gun stock to achieve different shades? It looks very nice. ::nod::

Mike there are a lot of oil finishes out there that do 'similar' things. Firstly they seal and water proof the wood by filling the pores and grain .... and by applying lots of very thin coats it builds up a luster that highlights the wood's natural features (it does not add any color) On a small surface like this knife handle for each coat I used not much more than a dab on the end of a match then really worked it into the grain with the palm of my hand, letting it dry thoroughly between coats.

Once there are enough coats (when you get the 'look' you want) the finish can be left "as is" or you can rub it back to give it more of a satin or matte finish. Birchwood Casey actually supply a 'rubbing compound' for this purpose or you can use 0000 steel wool.

Cheers Derek
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

What a wonderful group BrumbyD!
Did you make the copper bolster(s) on that first Colonial?

You have too many nice modifications on all of them for me too compliment them all so I'll just say that you must be quite proud to show them around.
I think I would begin rebuilding for friends if I were you.
It just may turn into a fun way to earn some free breakfasts while you sip coffee, and have your buddies admire your skills. ::tu::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Brumbydownunder

americanedgetech wrote:What a wonderful group BrumbyD!
Did you make the copper bolster(s) on that first Colonial?

You have too many nice modifications on all of them for me too compliment them all so I'll just say that you must be quite proud to show them around.
I think I would begin rebuilding for friends if I were you.
It just may turn into a fun way to earn some free breakfasts while you sip coffee, and have your buddies admire your skills. ::tu::

Cheers @americanedgetech Appreciate the compliments. The Knife on the bottom left still has it's original liners and bolsters.
For all the other knives I only used the original spring & blade from the 'donor' knife - all other components... Liners, Bolsters, Handle Material & Pins I made.
It's all good fun & rewarding
DSCN4173.JPG
Derek
americanedgetech

That is quite humbling Derek.
I'm still working on the shop, and a few odd tools but with all the inspiration, and great workmanship here on the forum, I have a high bar to aim for.

Your workbench... Is that aluminum?
I ask because I have just finished building my bench top, and I thought I was being all so clever, and used a 3/16" marine fuel tank bottom (aluminum) for my bench top.
I can see limitless advantages to using it. ::tu::
Ken Mc.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

americanedgetech wrote: Your workbench... Is that aluminum?
I ask because I have just finished building my bench top, and I thought I was being all so clever, and used a 3/16" marine fuel tank bottom (aluminum) for my bench top.
I can see limitless advantages to using it. ::tu::
I have used metal topped workbenches before, and they are outstanding for large heavy parts like when working on automobiles or farm equipment. There is nothing better for working on large heavy items, however I have had enough things roll off a metal workbench and even have had small items bounce and roll off of the bench and onto the floor. It has been my experience that recovery of small parts once they hit the floor is about 75%.

My main workbench is a portion of a solid core exterior door. It is heavy and I can bolt vises to the bench top and screw things into it when convenient. I cover the wooden surface of the front half of the bench with toolbox drawer liners. I preferred the brand sold by Harbor Freight; I find it less expensive and more durable than other brands. They are not expensive and I can often pick them up on sale. When I drop a small screw, spring, pin or any other small part on my bench covered with this drawer liner it does not bounce or roll.

I realize this choice is not for everyone, and it would not work if you use the same workbench for rebuilding your transmission. But on my workbench that is used almost exclusively for knives, this is what I use.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
americanedgetech

Your points on bits dropping out of sight have been proven out a jillion times in my life. When I first opened my marine shop I was in a gravel floored pole barn. It was quite large 40x30 but every item that hit the floor was swallowed up.

I have another of these aluminum toped benches, and the best thing I found for keeping items on them are the silver ware drawer liners you get at the dollar store. Shelf liners I think... They are sort of a webbed silicone material so tiny things actually get trapped the moment they hit it.
Then if I need a heavy work space, just ditch the liners to the side, and bang drill, paint, fiberglass right on top of it, and wipe the debris away. ::tu::
There is a picture of one in the "Outgassing" thread that is my lab bench, and I'll post some picts. when this one is finished.
I'm also gluing up a 24"x15"x1-1/2" iron wood "cutting board, and ordering a 20"x20"x2" slab of granite off of Flea bay.
Those, and a stiddy that I'm machining a removable/replaceable tang for... I'm hoping that should do me.

Thanks for the heads up Dale. that is a valid point! ::nod::
(I'll add the other bench here...)
Attachments
20160601_195426.jpg
Ken Mc.

Brumbydownunder

The work station I stand at for a lot of my work has a soft vinyl surface - it's an old office machine stand of some sort - the best part is there is a small raised edge all the way around it about 1/4 inch high which stops most things from hitting the floor - including all sorts of dust and filings :lol:

On top of the bench I often use a slab of aluminium roughly 12 inches square and 1/2 inch thick ... handy for a lot of things I do and because it's softer than most of the metals I am working with, unlikely to mark/damage them.
DSCN4180.JPG
Derek
americanedgetech

Brumbydownunder wrote:The work station I stand at for a lot of my work has a soft vinyl surface - it's an old office machine stand of some sort - the best part is there is a small raised edge all the way around it about 1/4 inch high which stops most things from hitting the floor - including all sorts of dust and filings :lol:

On top of the bench I often use a slab of aluminium roughly 12 inches square and 1/2 inch thick ... handy for a lot of things I do and because it's softer than most of the metals I am working with, unlikely to mark/damage them.

DSCN4180.JPG

Derek
Aluminum being softer than most of the knife parts, and other things that I will work on was my main reason for choosing it. ::tu::
add to that the fact that this is a 34 year old marine fuel tank... there is enough patina that it looks like I've been doing this forever! :wink:

Well... I can't wait to see more of your work, and get some more inspiration!!!
Ken Mc.

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”